Wood Stoves: what's new in the world of wood heat.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by A-Bone, Oct 14, 2010.

1. dirtyoffroad

dirtyoffroad Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always used wood heat,but also cut all my own wood.If I had to pay premium rate for processed firewood,I would consider pellet stove.
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    I wish I had time to cut and process the wood... but I am at the other end of the spectrum... The money saved from cutting, moving and processing it wouldn't be much of a return over buying it cut, kiln dried and delivered to the front of my barn... maybe if I already had a decent size tractor and a place to lay it all out it might be worth it.. but even then... I'm working 6-7 days a week as it is...

But I hear you guys... getting it processed is all part of the satisfaction that it provides...

I just love the heat wood gives and stacking it will have to do for now..
    spokester likes this.
  3. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I used to do it all myself.........I would even scrounge for fallen trees after storms. I don't have the time with work and other home projects, it just got to be too much. When I retire I may change back but for now, with the price I'm getting it just don't add up. The best part of buying from a (this) wood guy is the splits are clean!:clap
  4. payner

payner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love wood heat. When we decided we needed to do something with the fireplace some previous owner had installed in our living room, I went looking for a wood burning insert. Unfortunately, with a metal firebox, local regs disallow real inserts so it was gas... but then I visited a shop that sold "hearth heaters". They are essentially wood stoves that sit on your hearth... or inserts that stick out of your fireplace. Certanly not the prettiest thing going but it was our only option.

I now love it, it still aint pretty but it's so nice to have a comfy fire burning in the living room AND get heat from it (something missing from the old fireplace!).
    Only issue is it can heat 1000 sq/ft but the heat doesn't really get to the bedrooms. Oh well.

Other thing I love about well designed wood stoves is that it takes almost nothing to light them. With the draft properly set up, a couple pieces of newspaper and a few sticks of kindling have the fire blazing... unlike the mounds of paper and kindling required to start the old conventional fireplace.
  5. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We DIY the wood chore, this year all free maple and oak trees. 8+ cords split in one weekend with a rented splitter.

[​IMG]
    spokester likes this.
  6. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a nice score........back a little sore?

This is what I was saying about nice clean wood!
  7. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    That is pretty sweet... they are like giant pellets for a pellet stove... never seen those... You must have to store them somewhere pretty dry...

Lets do the math: Site says 8,600 btu per pound.. or 17,200,000 per ton.. and you report a price of $130 per ton.

Compared to oak at 27,500,000 btu per cord.. the oak would have to sell at less than $208 a cord to match it... ((27.5 / 17.2) X 130).. which is less than I am paying now..

Is that $130/ton the current price or is that 'back in the day'?? Site doesn't show pricing..
    Drew Peacock likes this.
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    I guess that doesn't hurt..

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

I'll send a credit app right over...
  9. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody I know wants to put in the work so I just keep the word out that I'll take the usable wood from any hardwoods that fall, die or get removed for any reason. It's funny, my back was sore when we started but got better over the weekend - manhandling rounds of firewood was some kind of therapy I guess.

I rent chippers and logsplitters since once I have a load like this I'll go 18 or so months without sport logging. This wood is for winters 2011/12 and 2012/13. Using 12+ month seasoned hard wood eliminates the need to clean my chimney - every time I open it up there's no build-up (6" metalbestos).
  10. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Oregon you cannot install a stove that does not meet emissions standards. If you get ready to sell a house with a wood stove that does not meet emissions standards then you have to tear it out before selling or replace it with a stove that does meet standards.
  11. Tobz

Tobz Ne'er-du-well

Oddometer:
    Not exactly emmissions related, but my brother is battling his insurance company right now because they don't want him using his perfect condition Round Oak due to it not being UL approved. Sure it's 100 years old or so, but it's a LOT safer than any POS stove you can buy at a box store these days... He also runs a wood add-on for his gas furnace and they have no problem with that because it has a little approval tag.

I have an mid 80's Vermont Castings and absolutely love it.
  12. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just paid $220 per 2 full cord mixed oak & maple.......I bought 4 cord total for $440!:clap Cut, split & delivered. I do have to stack it neatly though......like this of course.

[​IMG]

Really, I'm in the process of making a pile like this right now.
  13. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. :baldy
  14. A-Bone

A-Bone Indubitably

Oddometer:
    That is a pretty damn good price... seasoned/dry???

Lets see a picture of that pile when you are done...
  15. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what I thought........it's green wood, for burning next winter. I am a little worried the oak will be a little young but thats the wood I'll stack in the sun and cover. I took one load from this guy last year and I'm burning it now, beech, maple and ash and it's perfect.

The fancy pile is just for fun, no more than a cord.
  16. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    I have a tiny Jotul we bought 5 years ago. That sucker puts out enough heat to warm the 1600sf ft space to around 72F in winter. The bad part is, I need my wood cut to 14" to fit in and it doesn't take more that 2 logs at a time. Still, burning only about 2 cords a year, plus 1/2 tank of oil to keep the basement above freezing.

[​IMG]

Google found image
  17. Twinz

Twinz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm another happy Woodstock Soapstone Stove user...the Keystone...big front window and burns all night! Had a Hearthstone before that, but all the seals failed making for runaway fires:eek1 :eek1
    Nothing beats soapstone! I did have to replace the catalytic converter...they replaced it for free...a $125 item.:clap :clap
  18. BillsR100

BillsR100 Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer:
    I dont have anyplace to put a free standing wood stove so I'm looking for a fireplace insert. We've always had wood burning stoves and now we cant.
    I'm toying with the idea of building my own grate made of pipe with a small blower to blow air thru it. I've seen one before and was amazed at how much heat it put out! Sure, nothing like a wood stove but at least I can salvage some heat out of the fireplace when we have it going. I have access to wood, I want to use it!

The one I saw looked kinda like this.

[​IMG]
  19. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Great thread! I figured I would add another slant to it though:lol3
    Been installing these for a few years now with great success...

[​IMG]

Its a Garn wood gasification boiler. The concept is pretty easy, you load the fire box with wood and light it, turn on the inducer fan timer and close the door.
    Once the fire is lit, the charge starts to burn and when the temps rise, it will re-burn in a secondary burn chamber. The burner is actually immersed in a 1500, 2000, or a 3500 gallon tank of water and the flue gas pipe makes 2 more passes before exiting out the back of the unit. The last one I did was direct vented and during full fire (450,000 BTU), I can put my hand under the exhaust and hold it there:eek1 You basically fire it until the tank is charged to 190 degrees and then let it burn out. Normally, a once a day firing is all that you'll need but that depends on the type of heating you have in the house, the size and of course the outside temperatures.

http://www.garn.com/index.wml

These boiler are not the old smoky classic outdoor boilers that you see littering the landscape and filling the valleys with smoke:deal
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd add a different perspective to the discussion about firewood: out here in my corner of the Empty Quarter we only have realistic access to ponderosa pine, cottonwood, and occasionally aspen, elm, and spruce/fir.

Ponderosa has a high to very pitch content, so if you want to burn it low and slow (for the 3 hrs or so a full firebox lasts), you run the risk of packing off your stovepipe and/or chimney cap. DAMHIK :dog

Cottonwood burns hotter, but it can be difficult to start and it smokes like a tire fire in the process. It also leaves lots of ash behind. Easy on a chimney, though.

Spruce and fir start really easily, burn clean and reasonably hot (in a Western sense), and leave almost no ash. Usually too far to drive for, though.

Elm is hard to start, smells like ubambida when burning, and leaves great drifts of ash in a stove. Burns hot & clean, though.

Aspen is easy to start and burns clean, but dead trees large enough to warrant cutting are few and far between. It also isn't a very hot wood.

So there's your Wyoming Fuelwood Primer thumbnail. Next time you easterners become disillusioned with what's in your woodpile, think about the above and rejoice heartily.
    spokester likes this.