Woodmans BMW/SWM

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by innathyzit, Jan 17, 2014.

1. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Also have near 3 inches more travel. Seem okay on a ride round the block but will test them proper later on.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    all adjustable are they?
  3. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yup got compression and rebound. Originals only had rebound. never did like the front end on this bike*, sorta felt nose down to me and was hard work on rocky terrain going slow as it just sorta bounced off everything. Definitely better at speed than the beemer and especially the klr on the rough. A bit of suspension work would have fixed it, but these forks came up real cheap on tradme so I thought it was worth a go, and even if they didn't work that well there should be some good bits like the compression adjusters that could be built into the originals. Only took a couple of hours to swap them over.
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are they, & what are they off?
  5. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Marzocchi shivers, stock forks on Husqvarnas since ages ago. Same as what are on my SWM, Off a TE250 (2007 I think). Basically just slid in.
    Night Falcon, bikemoto and Box'a'bits like this.
  6. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    have the same complaint with the XC's front end. Hoping some lighter oil and progressive springs might help but not confident, old showa design straight from 1970. 2015+ come with WP forks. love or hate ktm.... at least they're well sprung'd
  7. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forks on the 690 are pretty harsh on rough rocky ground. Running front tubliss below 10 PSI makes a huge difference. Settles the bike right down and makes it a hell of a lot more fun.

Look forward to hearing how the new forks go. The change in geometry from the higher front end will make a big difference to the way the bike turns I would imagine. Then again more travel and plushness might mean they will compress more under braking and turn just as well as the shorter forks.

We expect you to push them to their limit and report back. Preferably with photos of limit reached/exceeded :D
    innathyzit and Night Falcon like this.
  8. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    at least you can tune 690 forks!

+1 on the photo intel :lurk
  9. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Just went for a hoon at the Skunkworks Appleby River Top Secret Moto Farkle Test Ground and Bike Wash Facility.

Quite unbelievable the difference they have made to be fair, it now handles offroad like a dirt bike should, even turns faster and better, in fact the improvement in the turning part and stability over rough terrain is quite remarkable. Thinking that now the ergos are closer to the Husky TE610 which this bike originally derived which were apparently a pretty good offroader. The speed wobbles, which didn't really bother me have dissapeared to. Well up to 130k. Didn't go any faster. Think I will just leave these forks as they are.
    DLRuapuke and Takataka like this.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Because your bike is heavier than the TE250 you derived these from, do you think the forks have a bit of sag? If so, that may bring the geometry back nr the original? But give more compliance
  11. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    No, sag is near the same as the original forks so the bike is sitting and feels a lot higher at the front, and I have no idea how these forks have been set up in regards to spring and oil weight. TE250 has 300mm front travel same as TE610. SWM has been reduced to 210mm.
  12. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Suspension tuning day today.

Difference between static and race sag with 15 litres of gas is 30mm on the front end. That is okay in my books, which makes me think that the TE250 forks have had stiffer springs installed. Played with the setting a bit and set them up to as optimal as i could get and went for a test ride and am still amazed at how much better the front end is. So compliant over the rough rocky stuff and also soaks up some quite large bumps at speed incredibly well.

Had a look at the rear as well as it was just so harsh. The dampening was on its lowest setting e.g. little or no dampening. I think I set it there before the Oz trip thinking that the weight of all the gear would effectively supply enough dampening. Anyway, set it about midway and reduced the spring tension a couple of turns. Result, totally different bike (unladen). Very happy with the result.
    vsaltao and Takataka like this.
  13. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Wondered why you weren't in the office today...
  14. DLRuapuke

DLRuapuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont think youll see much of him at all now..............................
    bikemoto and innathyzit like this.
  15. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, itching to get out for a decent ride but off to Oz for a couple of weeks on Monday so further testing will have to wait.
    DLRuapuke likes this.
  16. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Again?

lifestyles of the rich and famous?
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Now he's not running an Airhead he has more free cash....
  18. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Someone mention 'free cash"??
  19. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    What is that force that compels us to ride up the snottiest, eroded, steepest track that we see. Seriously I spent a couple of minutes talking myself (not out loud) out of riding up this, and agreed with myself that riding up would be a bad idea as it looked damn near impossible. As soon as I let the clutch out to ride away that mysterious force took over.

It didn't end well.

hill on side.jpg

On the up side, the new forks are fantastic......
    Te Hopo, DLRuapuke, vsaltao and 4 others like this.
  20. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling. Riding home after an honest (but failed attempt) still feels OK though I reckon. Even better is when you go back later and slay it..

I tend not to try things if a fail is too dangerous though.