Woodys wheels on my 800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Chop Chop, Oct 27, 2010.

1. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    What did freight to/from Aus set you back? Do you still have your old wheels and hubs intact, or are they destroyed/exchanged in the process?
  2. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    be careful what you wish for ,,,wishes do come true some time,,keep wishing:wink:

to see the results of Chi Town's wishful thinking,,get a load of this
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675456

:freaky
    woody
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Just got my rear wheel back from Woody's after having it sealed (and trued, and new bearings), and thought some of you may want to see what it looks like. There appears to be about 1/4" of some sort of sealant, covered with some fiberglass tape. A shiny new valve stem too, of course. Looks good. Now to mount my tire and give it a test!

[​IMG]
  4. johnparjr

johnparjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just the rear is sealed right ? thought I read where Woody doesnt do the front
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    That's right, just the rear. The front is much easier to remove and patch.
  6. Moqui

Moqui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks nice WoodWorks, what was the turn around time?
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    17 days, from the time I sent it, to the time I got the wheel back. UPS Ground 3 days each way.
  8. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going to enjoy the plug and go convenience. I'm glad I decided to have mine done.
  9. Fronnzy

Fronnzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to stay off-course for one more post, but Woody makes an excellent point. Friends of mine have made comments about the big 21's on DS bikes and the challenges they create on the road. With proper technique, these bikes can lean with the best of them, no body english required. Give this a read...

http://www.sense.net/~blaine/countersteer.html
  10. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    hind sight is 20/20. careful what you wish for, eh??
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by johnparjr [​IMG]
    Just the rear is sealed right ? thought I read where Woody doesnt do the front
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    Quote: ''That's right, just the rear. The front is much easier to remove and patch.'' by WoodWorks

we are willing to seal most any current rim size that sports a genuine factory safety bead,,,and 90% of current 21 rims in the widths we desire do not have a safety bead:cry:cry

w
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what would one need to do to get a 21 inch front tubeless on the 8GS...... Fraid... that's all that's holding me up for a set.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Fraid i don't have an easy answer,,,perhaps figuring out how to install a R100 GS/PD wheel in there...hmmmm that would be interesting ehhhh:wink:

and,,,,it's a 1.85 x21 to boot,,,let me do some quick measuring mananna
    oh happy halloween
    :freaky
    woody
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am surprised that there are such small if any tubeless rims out there. Quite the contrast on the Mountain bike field..... where I have build several wheels. I guess most dont want them.... Because usually the manufactures...when eying a demand will produce them. I bet... if there were a set of tubeless rims that would lace up to the stock hub......people would buy..... But that's just me.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  15. swimmonkey

swimmonkey JMS

Oddometer:
    My bike is everything I thought it could be with my Woody's. Kept the stock hubs since I bought the bike used. Went with a 19 front and kept the 17 rear. Had the bearing fix done and went with tubeless. I have beat the crap out of them and they are as true as they were when I mounted them. I went with the big spokes with the cross-lace. No complaints and I say worth every penny. Total cost with shipping about $1,200.
  16. swimmonkey

swimmonkey JMS

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention, with the wider 19 front, the bike handling is just fine off road but way, way better in sand.
  17. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    soooo,,,got out a bunch of hubs and compared em to an F800GS

CAN DO!!!!!!

my objective was to provide a turn key genuine tubeless front wheel utilizing your oem discs and abs ring...it involves:

1,,,getting a complete R100 GS or GS/PD wheel assy,,,new $1035

2,,,swapping out the 25mm bearings and inner spacer for 20mm versions,,,circa $50

3,,,making 2 ea disc/abs mouting adaptors that bolt on to the hub,,,circa ???300+

4,,,making new axle spacer/spacers to get proper alignment on the left side,,,circa???$60

do able:clap

cost effective ????:cry

woody
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are truly a wizard Woody....:D.. In a great way ..of course...:clap... I just can't see myself shelling out that much.. Need to sell a whole lot of Carbon Parts to cover that... But I am ok with your rear conversion.... ( might just end up with that for now).....But would love a set of more affordable rims ...then ask you to lace'em to the stock hubs..... Does'nt need to look fancy....just be practicable.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  19. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    Don't want to be a smart ass or anything but can't you just buy rims like on the yamaha s10 or the rears like on many trials bikes that are tubeliss woody?
  20. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ok erling,,let's get on track,,,,,

remember my old mantra:
    tell me where you are and where you want to go,,,
    and let me bridge the gap:deal

y ahave to remind me what we did so far,,,,what kind of riding ya do ,,,how hard ya ride,,,your budget,,,your technical needs ,,,your aesthetic needs,,,all these affect the outcome,,,,then of course i'll hold up the mirror from time to time :wink:,,,and ask asilly question or two,,,,are you sure this is what ya want ???,,perhaps this is what ya need ,,,erling,at days end,,i am committed to giving ya something that more often than not will make ya grin and not regret having entrusted your hard earned $$$ to build ya something that is a step above what ya expected....

holler,,i'm listening:ear
    woody