Woodys wheels on my 800gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Chop Chop, Oct 27, 2010.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    huckleberry,,,
    we are cross pollinating a variety of genuine tubeless rims

BWOE,,,aprillia caponords 19/17 36hole X-lace rims to KTM/BMWhubs,,,

[​IMG],switching out almost any BMW 40h x-lace rim to every other x-lace hub ie 21'' rims to all the 19'' front GS series,,2.5 fron tcruiser rim to any HP-2 an d1200 GS rear,,,,etc etc,,,like:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692500

there aren't many donor rims around,,,:cry
    it's ashame,,,however in the meantime we have figured out how to seal the wire wheels for running tubeless tires...
    holler
    woody
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    My goal is to retain the 21 size in the front....with about the same with.... I would like to retain that as a good compromise between on/off road. Tubeless. I do ride techno stuff.... While off roading... But taking it easy when doing so. I am an expert all mountain bike rider....so balance and placement is a forte of mine.
    This is a small video of what my dirt normally consist of...... Some faster sections in the middle..... Later in the ride.... we went through some substantially rougher sections..... I am filming....

"><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uxh6PD00zkc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

As far as the rear.... Id like to go with the 18 inch....for better tire selectivity....and better " up and over" off road performance. I dont like the way the 17 hits an obstacle and then rolls over it.... For me... the 18 would be better. To me... it does not matter much that I loose a little on road performance... Tubeless conversion...sealed by you would be fine. I would have no problems retaining both hubs to save money. They don't look as trick as what you normally put on.... But as long as they work. Rear hub needs boring to satisfy the right crush factor. So in short.... The least expensive path to a 21/18 combo.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    soooo erling,,,

i'd classify your needs in the 50/50 set-up category,,,,so a 1.85x21 excel or dirt star up front,,and a 3.5x18 in the rear for the greatest versatility,,rear can be sealed...if you are realyy pounding it then i'd go with a narrower 2.5x18 ...

least expensive way is recycling front hub n spokes /silver rim=$300 bullet-proof superlace on your hub,,,ss n ss spokes/silver rim/one year warranty=circa $440 add $75 for black rim

rear is circa $400 on low end to $700+/- with superlace

sealing is $99 or you can do it yourself,,,i have the instructions posted in another thread

holler:freaky
    woody
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm actually going to Eagle,CO...on monday..... I will see if I can combine this with a visit..... I will stay in touch...

Erling
  5. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets not forget that if you truely want to go off road you cant beat running tubes.
    I have run as low as 18 psi on the front and 15 psi on the rear and I would not recommend that for tubless wheels.
    Woddy's best off road set up is a 1.60" x 21 front wheel super laced with Radd hubs and a 2.5" or 3.5" x 18" rear wheel also super laced with with Radd cush hub. Stock hubs are too heavy and these wheels are stronger and better fitted for knobbie tires.
  6. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Well, technically you can. :deal But not for adventure riding that involves many miles of on-road. :1drink

IMHO, the best overall in the front for technical ADV riding that's susceptible to punctures is an HD tube. For standard ADV off roading where punctures are unlikely a tubeless rim would be my #1, followed by sealed spokes or a regular tube tied for second. Tubliss is last, mainly because of their failure mode--you're SOL if that thing goes, unless you're carring a spare tube...which sort of defeats the purpose.

For the rear, (again IMHO) I'd go tubeless rim first, standard tube/sealed spokes second, followed by an HD tube.

I wouldn't run tire balls or a mousse in the rear of an ADV or DS bike, but they might be an interesting experiment in the front if the on-road speeds aren't too high and the on-road durations aren't that long...