Word of Warning...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JRose, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take this for what it's worth, but if you're the type who drops their F800 fro time to time riding beligerantly in the woods, you might want to shorten the front turn signal stalk.

I'm running the TT upper and lower guards on my '13, and after 6 times down this week, they did a fantastic job keeping all that plastic safe.

However, my front long fairing that goes to the beak is cracked where the turn signal mounts from being pushed in when it hit the ground.

Only thing that really sucks about it is that the TT guards did a good job, and something like that is what cracked the plastic! I wish I had the foresight to think about that before, and shortened them.
  2. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it's the fault of the signal stalk and not the guard?

:scratch
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    well first of all say what year your bike is. I know it's the new generation but still. I have the old generation 2010 and even after several drops in the woods everything is fine with the LED turn signals (oh you might post some pics showing that, and even say what kind of turn signals you have), and I don't even have upper crash bars.

yeah guess what I hate monday mornings :lol3
  4. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a 2013.

It's negates the protection the guards offer because it sticks out past them, so when I laid the bike down, and the road was off camber, it pushed into the plastic and cracked it.

Not saying that it will happen everytime, just saying that the potential is there for an unecassary breakage.

I'll take a pic
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer......There were someone a few years back here on advr, who cracked his beak, I think it was, and successfully found an adhesive that vulcanized the two parts back together, but I cannot for the life of me think of what he used. How did the fork sliders fare......????:D
  6. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why I keep my '02 DR650! After dropping it, i find, I just don't care.
    Lyle
  7. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran out of money and didn't have time to get the brake lines done before I left.

I would've loved to have ran them trough there paces there though. We did the MS and AR portion of the TAT, and MS is almost all gravel roads. So it was a constant assault of rocks when I wasn't navigating. Haha
  8. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok. This is what I'm talking about. In this pic you can kinda see what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

Hard to see the crack because of the viynl wrap, but it's not bad. I'll try to find some sort of adhesive to bond it back so it doesn't spread, and re-wrap it.

[​IMG]
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see...... It is good to see that you use the bike in a ehhhh..... " rough manner..:D:D" :clap
  10. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Naw. I treat her like a princess...

[​IMG]
  11. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some folks have replaced their front turn signal stalks, with a set of rear signals, which are shorter. Im planning to convert mine to LED this winter, and will likely go that route.

jeff
  12. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to figure out a good solution for the '13.

I think i'm going to pull the trigger on the HDB handguard signals and just remove the stock ones all together. That will leave an ugly hole though, but I think I'm ok with that since I'll now be able to mount up some Aux Lights off the Headlight mounts.
  13. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't think about mounting turn signals on the handguards.... That's why I love web forums!

Any one know of options for this? As far as clamp on LED turns?
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not quite clamp on, but bright.... he he....
    <a href="<iframe width=" 560"="" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IGaASTHcUNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="<iframe width=" 560"="" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IGaASTHcUNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IGaASTHcUNc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  15. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered some short stalks like that. I think that just putting them in the current location will be fine, but I might mess around with mounting them in the handguards. I dig that.
  16. GrouchyGeezer

GrouchyGeezer idjit galoot, still

Oddometer:
    I sure would like to see a video of that.
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers.....:D
  18. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took some GoPro video last year in TN, but it's really quite boring. Not to mention most of it on the chest rig, the camera was aimed too low and all you see is my bars and tank. Ha