Work Away?UK import US.

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dad, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Dad

Dad Philogynist

Oddometer:
    Ok, here's one for the professional adventurer.
    Throughout the past year or so my interest in adventure motorcycling has taken me through countless web pages dealing with the world of this subject. It's HUGE!!
    Go ahead, try it. Go to your favorite search engine, punch in "Adventure Motorcycling", call your boss, friends, girlfriend, ect. and let them know your going to be busy for at least a month! Oh...tell your dog he's going to have to feed himself because your not going to be able to pull your fat ass off planet internet for the next few weeks.
    Throughout my searching I have come to the realization that 90%of the Adventure type bikes are sold ONLY in Europe. WTF!!
    Ok..no big deal. I continue to search and end up finding a few interesting bikes that I wouldn't mind owning. I have come to the conclusion that I would like to bring in (to the US) something that isn't so common. Take the Chevy Camaro for example, like assholes, everyones got one. No thanks.
    Sure parts are a dime a dozen but that seems to cut some of the fun out too.
    So, I find something I like, do some searching, find out that a pocket full of ASHITLOAD of money and a big pain in the ass later I might have a bike shipped over. Not to mention the inevitable kick in the gut from the import/export geniuses we have on the border keeping all the cool shit out of the States.

Anyway...I'm ranting...I heard about this fun idea called "work away" that so many world touring folks have successfully done to move their prize without emptying the pocket book. You find a ship headed for your destination, ask the 'ol cap i tan for an exchange to work for passage and your on for no charge, room and board!
    Now, through my searching I can find nothing on this subject. I think this would be so much fun. You hop a ride to the coast with your new bike and ride it home.
    I found this idea originally in Chris Scotts, Motorcycling Handbook.

And finally ...has anyone done this? Info?
    I think I might have to take a [​IMG]this idea, but I don't want to
  2. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Dad, I'm no expert. But posts here and elswhere sugest that even after overcoming the importation barriers, you'll have a challenge registering the bike and getting it approved. Things like emissions standards get in the way of easy processing, I've read. Lots and lots of barriers to buying a foreign bike and making it legal here.
  3. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    search the foreign bike you're looking for on cycletrader.com There is a firm in Cali that imports some of these bikes and often sells them there. I looked hard at an Africa Twin and a Super Tenere last year from them. Sorry, but I don't remember the name of the company. That's how I found them- should work again. Good luck. As to the stowaway idea- you might watch out for (or join) the union-