Working for Schlumberger?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kovr, Jun 20, 2012.

1. gilb001

gilb001 n00b

Oddometer:
    i worked for slb some years ago, it s just great, i recommend u to go and take the picture.
  2. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do people find 2 year old threads? :huh I have trouble finding ones from last week :lol3
  3. where2next?

where2next? Map guy

Oddometer:
    The guys that do well in the patch are always looking up. Start at the bottom and go towards what you want. Slb is big and can offer a lot of upside including office 9-5 stuff if you have the skills/aptitude for it. Yeah im sure service company field work sucks. Earn your stripes and move up. Build custom furniture on your days off. Become indispensable to your boss. If your boss tells you to drive after an 18 hour dy and you refuse he will be pissed but you will get a medal. Work in 2014 is won and lost on safety performance. .... believe it. I LOVE VI, but no work... if you have a job its one of the best places in canada to live. No work? Tough call. East coast guys have this debate all the time
  4. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread, good read still.

I never worked for this company, but I did work in the oil patch drilling rat holes.

The work was 100 percent up my alley, drive to location, bust your ass off, then drive to your hotel.

I loved the work, outside all the time, good hard work. Loved the pay, I made a ton of money, and I wasnt stupid with it, and it really set my family up well in life.

Now that I have a daughter, there is no way in hell I would go back out to the oil patch though. No amount of money I can earn out there would be worth missing seeing her for weeks at a time.

I will reiterate though, my years in the oil patch set my family up really well for the rest of our lives. For that right there it was worth it.
  5. Proveick

Proveick Long timer

Oddometer:
    A buddy in Cowtown, son just graduated from highschool decided to pop on up to the Patch. No skills, driving a fuel truck $11k / month.
    Living at home paying room and board, planning on retiring at age 32.
  6. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    interesting thread, for sure ....

never worked the oil patch, but did work 'up north' earlier in my life and knew a few guys who did .... we all did it for the same reason: MONEY! .... and some adventure for sure.

would not have much savings without that experience .... a few other benefits too, but as others said, you need to know when to get out, and having your first child is a good time to switch course.

but it was an adventure .... :D ... time soon to re-visit old places .... :1drink
  7. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    For some reason I thought Schlumberger was a makeup company.
  8. kovr

kovr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was a little surprised to run into this thread again. Thanks again for all the info.
    I ended up getting a job in a local mill on Vancouver Island. Not a real interesting job and not making as much money as in oil but I'll gross around 70 this year and still be around my kids so I really can't bitch.
    Just picked up wood to make matching captain beds for the kids today so shift work is not all bad.
  9. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    You dodged a bullet IMO. If at all possible, try to pick up a trade if you're mechanically inclined. Mills are a great place to do that.
  10. kovr

kovr Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's what I'm trying to do as a bit of job security in case the mill ever closes down.
    Not too many people ahead of me now(with higher union seniority) that would take a apprenticeship over their current line of progression for jobs.
  11. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with all the above, and my take on service side is long hours and good funds, and things in saftey in the work place are (slowly changing) Oh my god is slow ever slow !!!

I'm a 14 year push cat operator gone oil patch for 21 years now after moving oil field stuff all over western Canada, and what a ride it has been.

The oil patch has its up and downs, and giving some thing a try is better then not (IMO that is) not only you make this desiction, but your faimly must as well since they to need to have in-put of a change up in life style, so weigh your options with your family first, then go from there.

I'm single and always have been, so the oil dream works for me, but it's not for everyone, so this we must keep in the back of our minds.
    It is good to have a few back-up plans when bring the faimly along, so plan on a few ventures and ideas in-case you need to pick plan A, B, and C as this will help you a-lot. Western Canada's Patch can be retarded at times, and it can be a golden brick road as well since it is (clicky let's say) and what job today are not clicky in one way or the other...

We/ or faimly have to sit down and plan short term (only) as nothing is writen in stone, but if you think smart and work smart, (less the working hard) you will have a job. I might be the craps at spelling, but my oil patch job is easy since I have 30 some "ish" years under my belt, and there is a spot some where in this patch if you (attack) the area you want to get to.

I attact the area I wanted, and I'm oil patch, and I'm very lucky that the oil patch has treated me well. Look where you are going, and plan on where you want to be with a few change-ups along the yellow brick road !!!

It can be your best friend, or the patch can suck the F out of fun...un-fun.
    Plan plan and plan is the tool we were given...

From Pal JB