working the 276c

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by hotwheels22, Jul 4, 2018.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    reading the owner’s manual here and working with this new to me device. also have a 496c (?) aviation i scored at a years sale. i’m guessing i have the same issue with maps and support on the 276 as i do on the 496 but i am trying to get moving with gps here.

anyone mind answering some questions once in awhile?

for instance - 1. how often should i lose GPS reception? it seems to come back pretty quick if i lose it.

2. anyone know of s low hassle online place to buy the internal replacement battery? not sure if there is a way to know it needs replacement but i am guessing that it would be good to put in eventually.

THANKS

jon
    (a technical guy but garmin and GPS make me feel dyslexic...)
  2. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    reading the owner’s manual here and working with this new to me device. also have a 496c (?) aviation i scored at a years sale. i’m guessing i have the same issue with maps and support on the 276 as i do on the 496 but i am trying to get moving with gps here.

anyone mind answering some questions once in awhile?

for instance - 1. how often should i lose GPS reception? it seems to come back pretty quick if i lose it. On mine, I rarely lose reception with a clear sky but in the woods or if there are other obstructions around, it can be interrupted fairly often. Older tech, just not as good as the newer ones (in that respect.)

2. anyone know of s low hassle online place to buy the internal replacement battery? not sure if there is a way to know it needs replacement but i am guessing that it would be good to put in eventually. I haven't had to do mine yet but there are several good "how-to's" out there. This one has a battery source noted:

https://noblehops.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Replace-Battery-in-Garmin-276C/i-pkxthkg

THANKS

jon
    (a technical guy but garmin and GPS make me feel dyslexic...)[/QUOTE]

Answers in red. Still love my 376C.

Drew
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  3. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    hi drew

thanks a ton. i particularly like what looks like a glass of scotch. hadn’t thought of it as a necessary item for this repair but i do now!

can i ask this? i have the thread from advrider that is linked to in that smugmug link. but i am having a problem with the battery purchase. the varta mc 621 (or whatever) seems only available from alibaba or some chinese source and i’m not too crazy about buying from overseas unless it is UK or similar.

do you or anyone happen to know if there is another battery or another source for this?

also, my 276 does seem to lose satellite though it is happening in light tree cover or inside. i have a 478 that i can also test here (bought it for $50) to compare but i’m wondering if this could be a battery ornother issue and a reason to keep the 478 instead of selling it.

any additional thoughts?

lastly, do you load OSM maps or did your unit come with maps? the 478 didn’t have any support for updating maps so i am guessing i am downloading an OSM for canada and the US, popping in my 2gb data card and trying to load it through the garmin software is that right...?

THANKS again

jon
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

pull the thing apart and make sure the antenna isn't falling apart. you shouldn't loose gps lock anywhere open enough to ride a motorcycle.
  5. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    thanks a lot ohgood. i got some extra antennas with the 478 (or whatever the hell it is). i guess i can just swap out with an extra antenna and rule out the antenna? a which point i would start looking at the connection to the unit and the antenna? or are you saying to open the unit itself at some point...?

THANKS
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

I'm saying open it and look inside. those connectors get bounced around a bunch, and folks usually sell a Gps the first time it doesn't have good location fixes, because they know something is about to let go ;-)
  7. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    thanks man. really appreciate it...
    ohgood likes this.
  8. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  9. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    hi drew,

THANK YOU.

i picked up the varta from batteries plus yesterday. seems like a tiny thing but they had the japanese or german version and it the chinese. also came in at like $4 compared to $30 online alibaba.

so, i think i have mapinstall. i will check today on mapsource. THANKS.

can i buy the cory navigator DVD? i think i had one on the zumo 550 i sold but i don’t think i have one for the 276. can i buy one? i guess they don’t get updated is that the deal.

ALSO, have you run across any solutions or intel on this connection issue with the 276 on new computers? as far as i can tell their eis ancompatibility issue with the 276 being recognized with USB 1.0 on a computer that runs USB 2.0? i can’t figure out if this is solvable since it is not OS related and is hardware related.

i have an XP machine but it does not get connected to the internet so i don’t know how i would connect to the garmin site for software updates etcetera.

this one has me a bit stumped.

thanks

jon
  10. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I have had a 276c for years. On Windows connections whether USB 2 or 3 have never been a problem.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  11. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 motorradRP

Oddometer:
    thanks. looks like i need to get moving on the windows 7 virtual machine on my mac. i'm not sure why i get tripped up like this but if i have three issues to deal with in the computer it becomes like 9 factorial and my brain starts to freeze.

also, i just tried openstreetmaps again and downloaded just texas.

am i correct that the proper workflow is to keep this in a folder called "texas" then download larger /regional/ areas of the US (and other countries). and to then download the "renamer" software listed above to change the name of the file to "texas" etc, etc?

and then once i have all these files can i load them ALL to the 2 GB stick (assuming there is room) and switch between them as needed within the 276 controls?

can i also ask how folks handle data on the road? do you keep a backup (or two) of your files on a USB stick?

can you keep files that you are not using but WILL need to use on a USB stick and then - well you would have to find a computer and /delete/ some data off the 276 and then load the new data that you now needed? or how do you handle something like this?

THANKS