Worn throttle cable

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bumblebee14, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I was leaving my driveway yesterday I notice when I let off the throttle, the bike just kept going. So I pull in the clutch and rev it a few times to see if it is just sticking. Then the throttle gets stuck wide open and I am coasting down the road with the engine at 7,000 RPMs. I then shut off the bike and roll into a nearby field. When I tried to start it up again the bike won't idle and its chugging like a Harley. Then call up BMW roadside assistance as I just rolled it out of the showroom 5 weeks ago. It takes 2 hours to get me a tow truck.
    I get a call today and the service tech tells me the throttle cable is worn out. Somehow in 5 weeks. I asked him if it was just a bad part and he is not sure. I am not convinced this is the only issue. I have had what I can best describe as a hiccup from the engine right around 3,000 RPMs. Not real bad but enough that I can notice.
    Needless to say this is my first BMW and they have yet to impress me. Not completely turned off yet because I really do want to like the bike. Its just tough when I have had it in to the dealer 3 times in 5 weeks for minor issues.
  2. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yah, that sucks. But once you get those initial quirks out of the way, it's smooth sailing. (At least mine has been anyways.)
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I think the hiccup is a "feature" of the latest version of firmware.
    My bike did not do it until I went in for the 12000 mile service and they updated the firmware. To me it feels kinda like a "flat spot" at ~3500 rpm, but I'll bet its the same thing.

I can't see how you would wear out a properly adjusted, properly routed, properly manufactured, properly lubricated throttle cable in 5 weeks. My bet is that one of those attributes was not satisfied with your original cable, but that it is now taken care of and you will have no more issues!

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Seriously I'll bet you'll be fine now! :clap
  4. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Did you happen to adjust "some" of the slack out of the throttle before this happened?
  5. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope no adjustments on my part. Bad news though, for me. It wasn't the throttle cable. Apparently I have some mice in the garage. One ate through my airfilter and made a nest in the airbox:becca Parts of the nest were then sucked in to my valves when I started it.

Needless to say I stopped and bought every mouse killer the store had. I may just shoot their bodies after I remove them from the traps.
  6. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    MICE?

:baldy

Damn....
    I like the "sticky" traps -- they seem to work well, and I don't have to bait or set them ...

Some mice completely destroyed the wiring of a buddy's boat ........ very very sad..........
  7. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I now have poison, bait traps, and spring traps out there. I go out there this morning to find one trap sprung with no more bait and no mouse. The next is still set with the bait eaten off of it. The rest are untouched. I am thinking about sitting up in the rafters with night vision and a Remington .300 Ultra Mag. That will teach the little bastages.:shoot
  8. JRWooden

Oddometer:
  9. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  10. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't use that poison if you think there's some hole in the wall they can crawl into and die. You'll be smelling them for the next month while they rot as their final F-you.

Ask me how I know..... :huh
  11. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of my friend who had a skunk in the crawlspace under his house. Without thinking, he breaks out the .22 and shoots it, still under the house. They had to replace all the carpet in the house because they couldn't get the stench out.
  12. rcrampton

rcrampton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mice are just the tip of the iceberg, you'll have problems every time you ride it. How about I take that heap off your hands for $8,000? The 1150GS is the best model, I'll do an even swap - my bike for yours - just to be a nice guy :freaky
  13. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Use peanut butter as bait on the traps. You'll improve the success rate. I found no difference between creamy or chunky style... ;)
  14. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go the the supermarket/wall mart and get Decon. The little buggers die within inches of the box. But don't use em for Voodo rituals afterword. That's like burning a Koran. DAVE
  15. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Actually used peanut butter. I think they are sly mice.
  16. bumblebee14

bumblebee14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you really are a nice guy, but I couldn't take advantage of you like that.:D
  17. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Not a beemer, but since I also ride a Honda ST1300, I frequent the ST-Owners forum. This guy had a 5 bedroom condo on top of the ST's fuel rail / injector harness. The tenants chewed through the injector harness rending the bike inoperable.

[​IMG]
  18. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    The kind that dehydrate them avoid that. They somehow screw with the kidneys so the mouse can't absorb water, which makes it constantly thirsty, so it wanders off to find water and eventually dies. So long as you don't have any water available in the nooks and crannies of your house, this usually means they die outside.

We use these at work, where we have under-floor cable runs and the meeces have taken a liking to our optic fibre. They're RSPCA-approved (Humane Society equivalent), if your SO cares about that sort of thing...