Worth Mounting CB Radio to GS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Teufel-Hund, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Teufel-Hund

Teufel-Hund Shameless Motohead

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience mounting a standard CB radio to their motorcycle?

I've read the reviews in Motorcycle Consumer News and other publications, and have not been impressed by motorcycle-specific systems commercially available.

Maybe the answer for a simple bike-to-bike communication system is an old-fashioned CB radio? I could carry it in my tank bag, run a small antenna off the frame somewhere, and search for a helmet mountable microphone/speaker system.

My dad told me to lurk on Goldwing web sites as they are probably the experts, but I'm not sure I speak their language, and it seems like Goldwings come with the CB's factory mounted... so why would they even worry about it?
  2. (sp?)

(sp?) flaming ahole ;)

Oddometer:
    what are you intending to use the radio for? bike-to-bike?, bike-other vehicles?, bike-base?, bike-network?

it would help in making a recommendation.
  3. f650gs

f650gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get an Autocom setup, then you can hang any radio you want, off it.
    CB, FRS, HAM radio, dare I say....Cell Phone:evil
  4. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:

he said bike to bike in his post,

i am getting intrested after reading sod buster's thread,just to listen for traffic detail.
    or will there be way too much jibber jatter?
  5. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you just want bike to bike, a set of $49 FRS or GMRS radios is going to work better, have less traffic, and usualy work at longer ranges. The problem willall on bike communications is the microphones and spekers...most dont work well under a helmet in 80 mph wind, ie at freeway speeds. Here is where the bike specific systems work better. Unless you want to talk to truckers, I would never use CB's. If you just want short duration bike 2 bike at slower speeds, get some of the small FRS radios and the ear bud speakers with microphone. I use this on dirt bikes for Duel Sport rides, only good under about 40mph, but even faster than that, you can hear someone trying to talk to you, and you can pullover to hear it. Its not for for chit-chatting, rather "Holdup, I stalled the bike" etc. Beyond that, your going to need an Autocom or Chatterbox system
  6. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the cheap way. Get this radio. http://www.radiogadgets.com/75822.html and mount with this http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/RAM/ram.asp?prod=RAM-BELT

You can run on the batteries or autocom and hard wire to bike.
    Easy removal for when you don't need it. Be sure to zip tie the radio to the holder.:deal

If you use the the 12 volt power source, it is set up to disconnect the antenna that comes with the radio . That is for use in a car and you need to use a seperate antenna. You can defeat that by placeing a plastic strip inbetween the Cb and the power unit where the antenna connection button is.
  7. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    A full-power CB will not bode well between 2 units at riding distance close range. You might be beter off with a family band rig.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not true. My wife and I use it all the time bike to bike. My HD Ultra comes with a CB and I mounted a J&M CB on her bike. That way I only had to set up one radio. We talk side by side up to two miles apart with out any problems. When I got the GS, I added the forementioned CB to it.