Worth the price to beef up a 650 twin?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DiabloBlanco, Jan 30, 2010.

1. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

They do for the F800GS! You'll notice I was speaking of both bikes about suspension upgrade manufacturers, not just the F650GS2. I think you need to practice what you preach, and read the post before you respond to it!:deal

You just pointed out that WP does not make a shock for the F650GS2! :photog... Even if they did, you think you can do all that for less than $3500?? Good luck. And it won't add squat to the resale value!

No need for the remarks, my friend. We're all just trying to help out on this forum. You act as if I attacked you personally! I was talking to the OP, not you.
  2. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    do you even know what you said? And yes i can put an 8 shock on the 650 don't you read?pull your head out of the mud oh who said anything about rersale but you
  3. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    Yeahhhh so I'll just let you guys hug that one out.

I would say that yes, if what I wanted was an F8 clone, I would just ditch the 650 and take the butt pain to get the 8 and I spent weeks and weeks researching the two before they came out and was at a dead 50/50 until I walked into the dealership and they had the 650 and not the 8, I rode it, loved it. There are definite aspects of the 8 that I am envious of, but if I can improve the 650's off road manners with better suspension, while maintaining its pavement advantage that's a win-win for me. I've got 10,000 on the odometer and probably only 600 is in shitty off road conditions, so if 94% of my riding is pavement, I still see the advantage of the 650.

Furthermore, while a 21" front wheel is attractive for some obvious reasons, I do have a lot of faith in my solid wheels (and the option of TPMS) and considering my higher tendency to be on pavement...

After a year and a half of having these two bikes in my face, one thing has never changed and that's seeing the obvious advantages of each. The more time I spend researching products and options ad self evaluating, the more I see my sweet spot is somewhere right in the middle of these two sisters (and who doesn't want to be between two sisters? Although a friend who thought the same thing a few weeks ago decided trying to put a hand in each of those cookie jars will get you in more trouble than you care to chew :lol3)

30-45 more days Griz!
  4. The Griz

Oddometer:
    :becca
  5. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Good choice me thinks, Diablo! I can't wait to ride!!!

PS Your trip report rocks!
  6. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just wish all the rest of my writings (and my laptops along with them) hadn't been stolen! To the Rockies looks great. Wanna take 3 weeks off this summer and ride up to an Arctic Circle sign in Alaska? :D Stop by Seattle/Vancouver where a bunch of other ADVers reside... Hell maybe I should actually throw a notice up in the trip section and try to get a gang going.
    (I was going to pm this as it's not on topic at all, but I noticed Mark is from Vancouv and would like to attend or at least offer copious amounts of LaBatts? :freaky)
  7. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got about 25,000 k on my 650 twin and I've ridden quite a bit on rough forest road at speeds up to 75mph through pothole farms and hit a few hairy situations and with the tweaks I've made to the bike and suspension plus a good set of tires (K60s) the bike has been AWESOME. The cast wheels have done surprisingly well and though i'm sure the 21" would be a better, I doubt with the riding I do there'd be many 800 riders that would put me to shame.

Performance Mods:
    K&N air filter
    Wirth front springs
    Intiminator Valve
    16T front sprocket
    Beowulf muffler
    Heidenau K60 tires
    Sasquatch modified rear shock (in the works)

And no, I'm not making an F800 but making a great F650. I'll keep going till I get to the "tits on a bull" stage.
  8. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Man, they're both great bikes. :thumb
  9. markymcd

Oddometer:
    I agree, and in all honesty if I was taller, I probably would have got the F800 but the 650 hasn't taken the smile off my face on or off the road!
  10. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    seen these by Elka, huck? Just throwing it out there since it sounds like exactly what you're looking for
    [​IMG]
    http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/45

kinda shows up small on the pic
    adjustments: ride height, hi and low speed compression + hydraulic preload
  11. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    thanks diablo saw that a while ago and checked with the guy on the group buy,he started talking to me about a 650 single shock and i guess i made him feel like a bonehead, and he told me the short would not fit.I did not check farther but ya that would be an option if it will fit. i'm waiting for a bit more would really like to get a wp and i may put on a set of dr400 forks on it their 43mm so i need new clamps if the dr 1's won't fit. their adjustable and are cartridge forks-would be better than stock 8 forks. just got a touratech hi touring seat only rode it for an hour but if it feels like it did for an hour at the end of the day i'm in love!:lol3 this is the thing for me with the high seat i'm as tall as i want the bike to be. i want right side up forks cause they don't leak as much as up side down 1's and you won't loose all the fluid if you keep goin. i think they are easier to work on also. I want good suspension but i also want to keep it simple
  12. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    yeah i subscribe to the seat thread so i saw you got that. I've thought about their low touring seat since if i raise the bike it wouldn't do my abnormally short legs any good to raise the seat height too. But as someone else stated on here before the idea of lowering my seat-to-peg length doesn't sound appealing either. grr. As much as I keep hoping to hear about a comfortable AND good looking AND cheaper than TT seat I don't think it's going to happen so a tt will probably get purchased. Everyone has said it a thousand times. Damn their shit is expensive but damn if it isn't exactly what we're looking for! Glad to hear no more seat squirming butt pain for ya!
  13. markymcd

Oddometer:
    If you can get your ass over to Seattle you should see "Rich's Custom Seats". TOP NOTCH and built to your exact ass! Plus he puts a gel pack in where your tailbone is. Makes the world of difference.

You have to book him in advance though.
  14. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    the seat is well made on a stock pan no dip to be sliding into and you get some support from the upper part of your legs, easier on the knees and really easy to stand[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  15. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    are there pictures of his seat in the seat thread? I'm on my cell browser so hopping back and forth can be a pain. Good looking to boot? Sorry to be a vanity whore but I bought a beautiful bike and I can't stand the thought of putting something as ugly as, example, a corbin on it, regardless of how comfortable it may be.

And if things go like I want (they rarely do or I'd be a millionaire playboy professional traveler by now and president of the world) I'm supposed to meet my German friend in vancouver this summer to ride to alaska since we spent last summer riding south and central together. so seattle is right on the way!
  16. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    just beautiful. what was it? 500? but the comfort is there and retains the stock seat's good looks (my only very minor gig is i wish they'd stuck to the stock color instead of adding the grey that would only really fit well on the magnesium 800 but oh well, it's not that big of a deal)
  17. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    just took the pics for you to see. The thing i like over a lot of the seats even the comfort seat is there is a bump but not a road block for sliding back on the seat:lol3
  18. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    true that, i like to slide around a bit and the comfort has an even bigger preventative bump than the low seat. the comfort actually looks a lot like the corbin's shape. I'll check out this Rich's seats when I get to proper internet but for now tt is the clear leader
  19. markymcd

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Shows the Rich's Seat... I've also changed a few farkles since this photo (last spring).
  20. markymcd

Oddometer:
    found another shot that shows the seat better....

[​IMG]