Worth the price to beef up a 650 twin?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DiabloBlanco, Jan 30, 2010.

1. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    So many comments to be made
    That second picture is about as gorgeous as can be, did you wax and buff her that day? hah
    Those wind deflectors... Do they actually... do anything? A nice looking piece of trim to be sure, I've just always wondered if there was any effect?
    What screen is that? Looks "kind of" like the TT fairing put together backwards :lol3
    And finally the seat, it does look pretty good. A prominent dish, do-able if comfy enough, definitely not as bad looking as the stitched cruiser looking corbin. Does it sit a little lower than he standard height? That could be a plus. What's it run?

And I guess since we're all showing off (650's just don't get shit for love in the pics section)
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  2. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    hey diablo it looks like you've tested the finish on your jesse's, ata boy!:lol3 i tested mine too
  3. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice setup Diablo!
  4. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    :roflhaha yeah the bike's been down 8 times, 7 with the Jesse's and it took till the 6th fully loaded drop before they even got a little dent. There might even still be a little red paint from where a big red F150 knocked me over in Venezuela. The things are tough as nails, but i regret putting on the rack/handles as water sneaks in a bit, although it sure makes it easier to carry
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bit of Seal-All applied where the screws go through the lid would cure that right up! Thanks to DieselBoy for the product info.:D He's using it to seal up his F800GS spoked wheels to run tubeless, and it's been holding up!

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/sealall.htm
    [​IMG]
  6. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    If I wasn't so lazy I could have found something like that myself but why reinvent the wheel? :D Thanks, I'll go find it and problem solved! Nothing worse than going through torrential downpours, getting water inside your dirty laundry sack that you keep in the pannier, then riding for a couple more days in 100 degree heat and then you open that pannier up and it could knock an elephant on its ass haha
  7. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found a better shot of my seat. Do I seem obsessed? Maybe. but I think perhaps we all are a bit.

You can choose whatever material you want, colour, stitching, etc. It's all custom. I went with leather. It was an extra $150 which brought it to i think $850 total but well worth every penny. It also has gel packs under the tailbone of the rider and passenger. Equal to about 3" of extra foam.

cheers,
    Mark

[​IMG]
  8. DiabloBlanco

Oddometer:
    Intinimators are on their way!

So I've been reading a couple threads about them, but none were specific to our bike. Like reading the weestrom, they had to do a complete for removal and dissassy. Is that necessary on ours? Or are we able to just pop off the top cap, pull the spring, drop in the intiminator, put the spring back in? (at some point drain the oil and put new in or no?)

Also, I noticed that a couple people cut off some of it, unnecessary for us?

AND Mark, I noticed in another thread your Beowulf. Loving it? Pretty easy change? Would I possibly have fitment issues with my Jesse racks (as some people have with the Akropovic?). I saw how cheap they were and I'm loving the black so hmmm.
  9. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You've pretty much got it right for the intiminators. the big trick is after you pop the top plastic cap off, you have to push the seal down to remove the retainer clip. It may seem impossible if you are just holding on to the fork leg and trying to push down... you either need a friend to hold the tube and push up as you are pushing down or if you have a workhorse to hold the tube in place tight while you push down... then it's easy. Let me know if that doesn't make sense. Oh, and you do have to take the wheel off and forks out of the tree cuz you have to drain the old dirty oil and put in the new stuff. It's not as tough as it seems.

The Beowulf is much easier to put on. Very simple, although their connecter pipe was slightly ovalized which made it a bit of a squeeze, but they've fixed that. there will be absolutely not fitment issues with the Beowulf or Akrapovic for that matter with the Jesse rack (wish I would have got the Jesse's but they weren't out when I got my ride. 2008 in Canada). The build and quality on the Beowulf is top shelf and the sound is amazing. Not to mention that it's probably less than half the weight of the stock piece of crap. I swear to god they made it so big so they could fit bricks in it!!!
  10. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    ya you have to pull the forks off to drain the oil and change to 5 wt oil but don't cut anything till you get everything back together and sit on it. put the bike on the ctr stand and get the front wheel off the ground and measure from the top of the slider to the bottom of the triple clamp then sit on the bike and measure again your forks have 7" of travel and your looking to end up with 20-30% of that 7" as sag if you don't have that then you'll have to pull out the plastic spacer and cut it to get in that measurement. i'll bet you'll be close without cutting anything find that you've gained an inch or more of ground clearance, won't have as much brake dive and it will feel better all around.
  11. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    hey diablo hows the forks now?
  12. marekw1

marekw1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Will be nice to hear about forks . I have damage bike of my son and now we are rebuilding him. Accident happens because front suspension and brakes are very week comparing to my bike . We where thinking to improve front suspension with WP but my son found this plastic improvement. I hope that I will get them soon , still we are waiting for original tubes , that we can try them. Maybe some of user will write their opinion about Intiminator.
    Regards Marek
  13. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lukas??? Where are you? :evil
  14. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Hi Agis,

I have actually been in touch with Marek's son Wawel about putting together a WP fork package for him which would allow to keep the stock wheel. It should be feasible with some custom machined parts. Not sure whether that's still the plan or not?

For those of you who don't know, this is a 2008 F650GS modified with WP forks and some other parts:

[​IMG]
  15. huckleberry

Oddometer:
    wow whats your seat height gonna be lucas? And how much travel is that 250?
  16. marekw1

marekw1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First we have to do this bike ride able than wee will come to see you.
    Regards Marek
  17. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the forks do have 250mm travel. :thumb The rear shock is still standard F8, but will be swapped eventually for something custom built. Probably a modified WP from a 950/990 or a one-off Hyperpro. But with the 18" rear the geometry is still mostly the same (my triples have a bit more offset for better turning, and the Scotts damper helps with stability).

[​IMG]

Taking into account rake and increased sag, this means the seat height is going to be about 1/2" more than a F800GS. At the moment I still have the low seat that came on the bike so it's actually lower. Not sure about comfort yet so I might swap that out. Should still be manageable for all non-midgets! :D

[​IMG]
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Marek, we'll be in touch. :thumb
  19. marekw1

marekw1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We can also try to change wheels , but you have to know Tomek is 173 cm so bike cannot be to high , F800 GS is to high for now.
    Regards Marek
  20. Wawel

Wawel Just call me Wawel.

Oddometer:
    To be more exact, I can still touch the ground with the balls of my feet on the stock F800 but being able to flat foot the bike feels more comfortable (I guess that's not surprising).
    Wawel (Tomek)