Would Canadians Go To The USA For This Event?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by nicholastanguma, Feb 28, 2020.

1. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Phillip Island Classic in Australia was my first contact with vintage racing Down Under, and it was eye opening for me. Vintage auto and moto racing are quite popular here in the States, of course, but not at the level of what enthusiasts enjoy in the UK and Europe, and after seeing what the racers and teams were putting into their machines for the PIC I'm now kind of wondering if the vintage bike racing scene in Oz is actually better than what we've got in the US.

The Aussies and Kiwis really take vintage bike racing seriously. The American team at the PIC was, as far as I could tell, completely outclassed, none of my fellow Yankees seemed to truly comprehend the level of competitiveness they were supposed to reach for.

For two or three years now there have been underground rumblings here in the US about a Vintage Single Cylinder Grand Prix taking place on the streets of Downtown Los Angeles and on the trails of Santa Catalina Island (the island 20 miles offshore of LA where the US decades ago had a massively popular scrambler grand prix every year). The event would take place over the space of one week, from a Sunday to the next Sunday; one weekend would be the roadracing portion in DTLA and the following weekend would be the dualsport portion on SCI. It would be fashioned as a prestige event, like the Isle of Man TT or the Monaco Grand Prix, exclusively for vintage tech air cooled, carbed thumpers and a select few liquid cooled, carbed models, as well; and there would be separate events for sidecars, too. Classes would range from minimotos up to 250cc and midrange of 350cc-500cc and an unlimited class with 800cc four strokes battling against 600cc two strokes. And supposedly there would be cash purses for podium finishers, payable immediately.

I have absolutely no idea how the event's organizers are approaching actually getting this approved by the governments of Los Angeles and Santa Catalina Island, seeing as how California is the world's epicenter for acolytes of the Green Religion, but these rumors stubbornly persist, and I have some *secret* inside contacts that regularly hint to me this is not just some race promoter's flight of fancy, but is actively being worked on from the legal wrangling side of things. The region of Southern California/Baja Mexico is already the world's foremost hotspot for vintage desert racing on an international scale, so it's not such a stretch to imagine that some folks with deep pockets and political contacts are genuinely working on making this thing a reality. Furthermore, Downtown Long Beach (a city very close to Los Angeles) has been hosting an annual F1 Grand Prix for something like three decades now, so clearly there's some way to get past the naysaying of the environmentalists and other similar not-in-my-backyard complainers.

My question is: assuming this Vintage Single Cylinder Grand Prix actually comes to fruition, would you Canadians attend, either to spectate or actually enter a racing class?
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I would certainly tune in should this event become a reality.
    As for attending or participating, only in my dreams - the logistics would be quite difficult.
    Perhaps phase 2 would be to extend the event to an eastern venue - you may find that Ohio has a healthy interest in vintage motorcycles.
    It also sounds like something the Moto Social scene would eat up from a spectator/enthusiast point of interest.
    Montreal is another venue with a racing heritage.
  3. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I have a in laws in California I'd go if I could wrap it in a family trip. If something was happening in Montreal/Toronto I'd probably go to that too.
  4. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I have always enjoyed travelling in the US, but when you pay 30% exchange rates it curtails my travels there.
    To answer your question....no
  5. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:

30 percent? Thanks for that insight.
  6. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes that's correct, the actual exchange without bank fees is $1.34 Cdn to buy $1.00 US. Makes staying and exploring Canada, more enticing