Would I be buying somebody else's headache?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by storymitchell, Feb 19, 2004.

1. storymitchell

storymitchell Member of the proletariat

Oddometer:
    The autumn of my discontent (Hillsboro, VA)
  2. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on what his reserve price is. The blinking ABS lights are probably just a fault code (from the crash) that any dealer can clear. Probably.

It seems pretty rough though. I'd pass.
  3. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    While things are looking much better on the job front (thanks to Linkedin!), at best I get to spend $2500 on a bike this year. My options are to fart along on the R60 for another season or buy a beater and hope it doesn't cost too much to keep on the road. Cosmetics don't bother me much as I've never been one to keep a bike spit shined, but I really want to avoid getting nickeled and dimed and dollared to death. What are the chances that this bike is going need additional expensive repairs that the seller does not know about, or "forgot" to mention? I would presume, for example, that the "smoking when cold" comment means that the bike has some serious miles on it and in an effort to not mention the actual miles he listed the miles on the new odometer.

Damn, I'm talking myself out of it.
  4. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
  5. ARRRGGGHHNUT

ARRRGGGHHNUT ARRGH! Rider

Oddometer:
    Good advices! I would also try to see if the dude still has the old speedo to know about the milage. I wouldn't buy a bike like this unless it has a record w/ BMW for the tranny, or have more than 30K miles. Assuming you are looking for a keeper...
  6. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like Rad says, you need to go see it and ride it. The seller seems to be making an effort to be honest. Meet him and judge for yourself.

If'n your looking to buy something and not have to worry about it down the road, I'd buy something else, something Japanese.
  7. storymitchell

Oddometer:
    The seller is about 20 minutes from where I live. I agree with Harv - I should just go buy something Japanese. But I like BMWs. I think I'll send the seller an email and arrange to go over and take a look sometime over the weekend.
  8. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I am presuming that because you posted this question you are not completely confident in yur mechanical skills…Sorry, not try’n to offend.

If that is true, take a knowledge friend with you to look at the bike. If you don’t know anybody like that you could arrange, for a small fee, for the local BMW shop check it out for you.

Good luck
  9. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Awwwwh hell, bid to your comfort level and see what happens. There are enough mechanical people in this area that any major issue can be fixed. Burns oil, jsut add it when it needs it.

As much as you rode the R60, you'll be riding this one the rest of your life! Not that you did not ride the R60, just that by comparison, this one will be much easier to keep running. You may even know some people that are handy with a wrench...
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Spoken, by the man who's bikes are always broken :lol3

Ok, not yur new GS :thumb......... Yet :eek1
  11. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Weird I replied but it never showed up....

Any way, all my bikes are belong to me and run great right now YFF! :flip :boid

:evil
  12. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know who the hell Steve's talking about but this looks like something I would definitly go look at. My concerns would be the the tranny and drive train. You know how solid the boxer is, and although not anymore solid then the 60, the preformance and the suspension are leaps and bounds ahead (my pervious BMW was a '73 75/5). If there is a solid feel to the the tran and drive, and the cosmetics are not an issue for you, it would be very tempting at 1,500.00 or thereabouts. There are several on this forum who wish they never got rid of their R1100s.
  13. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Steve does not who he is talking about either. That rat bastard.
  14. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I never said you were a rat :evil
  15. Steverino

Oddometer:
    If I told you it took me three hours to get home on 85% gravel/muddy roads from NOVA would you call me a rat then?
  16. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say you musta been in the Subaru if it took that long. Are you PUI, I never said you were a RAT in the first F'n place!

Lets get back to gettin SM on a GS. He likes to ride and that would be a good thing.
  17. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Either in the Subaru or waiting for you.....

ANyway, SM can get his own damn bike.
  18. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl

:rofl

:thumb
  19. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    .... and the Harptress wonders why I come out of the study laughing all the time!
  20. Steverino

Oddometer:
    WTF is a Harptress???? :dunno