would like recommendations for cool armored gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by tentative_rider, Jun 17, 2019.

1. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    sure this is many many times duplicated but-

I'm in south Texas, my Klim Kodiak stuff is just to hot.

would like cool armored gear (?mesh) that has the highest possible armor rating, does not have to be waterproof.

I used to wear BMW Protektor 3 mesh jacket with jersey over top and old non-waterproof Klim dirt bike pants, both of these are now shredded after years of use, and I don't see the same type of gear in the current offerings.

feel free to direct me to review, PM me or whatever.

Thanks!

TR
  2. rbowen

rbowen Rider

Oddometer:
    Bohn Body Armor. Very Cool
  3. Maverick2076

Maverick2076 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scorpion Yosemite jacket and Yuma pants. Get the lighter colors. I’m in Austin and can wear this all summer. On the hottest days I may throw on a pair of mesh pants instead of the Yumas for commuting back and forth to work. The jacket is amazing and keeps me cooler than my full mesh jacket ever did.
    tentative_rider likes this.
  4. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checkout KNOX armored vests,, I use the URBAN net model
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you want armor, abrasion, or both? The Knox armor is my favorite CE2 soft armor (much lighter then D3O), and they have some nice mesh jackets and armor shirt options. If you want abrasion in a mesh jacket, I'd look at the Adventure Spec Mongolia Trail jacket and slip the Forcefield Isolator Level2 pieces into the pockets made for it. Knox and Forcefield kinda lead the field in soft armor right now.

D3O does have good armor as well, but the "armored jacket" type stuff is Rukka and extremely expensive - and as I noted I find the compound they use to be very heavy.
  6. ThrillSeeka

ThrillSeeka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rev'It Tornado 2.

Be careful with summer mesh gear. Lots of cutting corners, even from big brands. In the name of the least ATGATT for maximum ventilation, so long as it has a reinforced layer of material on the elbows, go bonkers buying. Tornado 2 jacket has actual polyamide (not polyester) on elbows/forearms and it's 1000 denier. The jacket also uses safety seams which is rare for these sort of jackets.

The Tornado 2 flows a lot of air if that's what you want. Get the hi vis model and you'll look like a state trooper; car drivers will ride safer when they spot you on their rear mirrors. +1 for your own safety.

Don't care about armor as long as jacket/pants have actual armor pockets. Do yourself a favor and insert your own Level-2 armor from the good brands (will cost ya about 70 bucks including back armor). Tornado 2 actually includes Level-2 elbow/shoulder armor, another advantage of it and very rare in these jackets too.

Make sure mesh panels aren't anywhere near the outer arms/shoulders as said panels always will rip out if you go down at speed.

I prefer ventilation zippers to perforated panels, but for maximum airflow with pretty decent safety and price point, the Tornado 2 is unbeatable.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are other good options, but it again depends what you're looking for in a jacket.
  8. tentative_rider

Oddometer:
    I need armor, abrasion resistance is nice but would trade some for max ventilation.
  9. tentative_rider

Oddometer:
    What mesh pants do you use
  10. tentative_rider

Oddometer:
    what good armor company do you recommend?
  11. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Knox or Forcefield,, I do,nt suppose there much to choose between them....Just the cheapest...
  12. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motoport hands down. I feel like I am riding in shorts and a t-shirt.
    go2cnavy likes this.
  13. ThrillSeeka

ThrillSeeka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tornado 2 already comes with Level-2 CE-certified armor. As in actually certified armor and not "approved" or any other play terms used by some other companies. Only thing I'm not super stoked about is that the armor is made of PVC and I'm not 100% sure the material would not cause friction damage in an off (although there are ways to get around this if it is of worry).

For armor inserts that you can buy individually (i.e. in pairs), either of these 4 brands is a great option: SAS-TEC, d3O, Forcefield and Knox.

SAS-TEC is a lot cheaper. I own a bazillion number of Level-2 armor inserts from all manufacturers, and I own 10x the amount in SAS-TEC armor pieces, just because they're cheapest, superbly comfortable, and SAS-TEC consistently gets the highest impact-absorption results (and they publish their results in their websites nice and clear. No muddling the data).

If you're going to get a mesh jacket, try to get one with armor packets that are as big as possible. You want to use the biggest and thickest armor pads in these jackets to help with the fit. From experience, mesh/textile jackets from European brands tend to use longer armor pockets than jackets from American brands. You want to have the elbow armor reach down to the wrist where possible.
    dragos likes this.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cheaper SAS-TEC armor is not temp stable though. The more expensive variants that Held & BMW use are temp stable.

Knox and Forcefield actually have quite a few differences. Knox Microlock has much larger coverage for the elbow/knee armors (wash on the shoulders) - and a compound that is softer to the touch. Forcefield has larger vent holes, excepting the back protector which on the Knox is a lovely lattice of venting (and incredibly conforming). I also find that Forcefield takes longer to warm up in cool temps, and is extremely stiff until the - both are rated as temp stable however.
  15. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I,m not so clued up on all the technical details,,but what I would say is fitting and using a breast pad is a good idea,,on the knox vest its held in with velcro,it not only protect your front ,but also keeps you warmer...
  16. WindBlast

WindBlast Three chords and the truth.....

Oddometer: