Would you buy a F700GS again?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by browneye, Nov 8, 2017.

1. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2013 F700GS in mid 2016 with 9600 miles on it. It's primarily a commuter bike - 45 mile round trip - for days when I don't commute on the bicycle.
    About 17K miles now and I feel it's a great commuter bike. It's been very reliable and other than the cost of all the accessories I needed to be able to commute year round, I'm quite happy with the bike.
    The only thing I don't like is the weight and the top heavy feeling. At 5 9" and 150lbs I can comfortably flat foot the standard height, but pushing the bike in an out of parking spots, garage etc is tedious. Especially this time of the year with leaves on the driveway, it's a bit tricky to push the bike in/out of my garage and turn it around.
    Next time I will definitely look for something lighter, but this one is a keeper for the next few years.
  2. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. I'm mostly pavement around these parts with forays into the fun stuff, but most of those require a long slog (1-2 hours) of highway or backroad riding to reach. If I'm taking the 690 it's going on the trailer...period. That could never be my only bike because there simply isn't enough "690 terrain" around here for it to make sense (for me anyway). If I lived in Idaho that might swing the other way and a 690 would be a perfect single bike solution. If forced into a single bike where I live I'd have to start with pavement manners and then get as much offroad capability as possible without sacrificing that. Any of the middleweight/larger adv bikes fit that bill, but until we know what he's thinking about doing we can only guess what will work best for his situation.
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Yup.
    While my TE is really good off-road, with D606’s it’s awful on road - more than 50-70 miles it gets trucked. He doesn’t have that option. But with some smoother dualsport tires it would be a great intro to riding on road. It sure doesn’t have any problem keeping up on the freeway but it’s so light it blows all over the place. Lol
    And that’s how I got to the F700...starting from G-series even though I think they’re too heavy.
    He popped up with a ad for a KLR and I said I think you’d be way bored in no time with 34hp and 400+ lbs.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden my F700 last year to James Bay solo and this year I did the Trans Labrador highway. I am planning on riding to Caniapiscau in 2018 solo and to Deadhorse and Tuk in 2019 likely solo again. For me it's the Golidlocks bike. Not too small, not too large, its just right. Seriously. I love this bike.

KR
  5. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had 34HP on my 500cc single and before I left Germany started to notice my weight gain be its spirit loss.
    Which is why I in the end didn't get any carbureted singles I had been eye balling this summer, DR650 top of list, I wanted reserves and I have plenty now.

Something people touched on and I skipped in my reply: Aspect of self service, something as simple as changing spark plugs isn't simple as you get to dismantle quite a bit before you reach the coil over plug on the top of the engine, which might only be a bother to a tinkerer wanting to try different plugs quickly.

Make sure you have a full set of torx bits. Bike taught me, I didn't have enough by far.

While I can keep pointing out things to be aware of, I wouldn't change my decision to get this bike.
    It's a great road bike for a tallish guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is exactly why I'm getting a DR....agricultural things run forever and are easy to service/maintain :thumb
  7. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. that explains why KTM never got in the tractor business. :lol3
    Tewster2 likes this.
  8. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have owned the F700 and F650 twin, and rented them around the world. It's a great compromise bike. Lighter than my R1200, enough power and weight for long trip luggage or pillion riding (but not both!), great brakes (the F700, not the 650), smooth all day on the freeway, able to ride dirt roads or modest trails and pretty damn reliable. I think upgrading the suspension is a must. Things like seat, windscreen, luggage will be individual choices. The seat is nice and low and it's 20-30 lbs lighter than other midsize ADV bikes. There are times I wish it had a 21" front wheel and more ground clearance, but as I said, its a compromise.
    shuswap1 and morfic like this.
  9. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Same goes for Ducati....
    Tewster2 likes this.
  10. Capt CF

Oddometer:
    +1000. Never again... :)
    Tewster2 likes this.
  11. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Tractors are boring - I had one, a brand new John Deere diesel 4x4 in my previous lifetime. :D

I much more like the fast and exotic bikes, very fun indeed. I have been broken and had to quit riding though, from going too fast. :(

‘Stupid hurts’ I think Honda used to say.
  12. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    DO they sell SWM 650 Adventures in USA yet? It would be my choice.
  13. rageabout

rageabout Say my name

Oddometer:
    My F650GS is the same bike so i'll chime in.

My bike has taken me from my garage to here:
    018 (3).JPG

And it has gotten me in trouble:
    001 (14).JPG

Wouldn't trade it for the world
    NaMi, morfic, shuswap1 and 3 others like this.
  14. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    • Just rode my 7GS from atlanta to montreal/air shipped to frankfurt and rode 6k miles in Europe going east to Poland and 6 other countries. Flew it back to YUL and rode south to atlanta. Great bike for a 5' 9", 150lb 81 year old guy.
  15. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last tank of non-ethynal premium gas gave me 60MPG.