Would you buy again?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Brokebrute, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to get. a new bike. Trying to decide between the GS F800 and the Triumph Tiger 800.
    Triumph forum had this posting and it had a lot of good information hoping to find similar feedback from the GS owners.

Currently riding KLR650. Past bikes XR 650L, CBR 900, KLR 650, DRZ 400, V STROM 1000, and now back to KLR 650. Loved the V Strom on the road wasn't much fun on the gravel or off road. Looking a for a more comfortable 2up bike the KLR.
  2. smitty141

smitty141 Only Pussy's die of natural causes.

Oddometer:
    Before buying my lightly used 2010 800gs I rode a TIGER 800. At 6'-2" I felt very cramped on the Tiger. I have had 4 1200 GSA's, several KTM 990, and several KLR's. I would ride my 800 anywhere. It's my favorite bike of the 4 I own currently..

My pick is the 800GS. :clap

Smitty

here u go... nice 800 in the flea market.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016794
  3. Altaboy

Altaboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had one, sold it, I really miss it. I will own another someday.
  4. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    "Would you buy again"

Would I buy a BMW again ? YES
    Would I buy a Triumph again ? NO

Sorry, don't have time to get into details but need to change the answer to the last one to HELL NO.

-
  5. bimbim86

bimbim86 Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Also came from a KLR. Before I bought my GSA800 I was on the fence for the 800 XC. Right off the bat I will say I dont think you can go wrong either way. The Triumph has a wonderful motor and for me was more comfortable than the Beemer (Im around 5'9ish). The drawbacks for me on the Triumph was the off road capability. They are very capable off road however not as much as the Beemer. They also have a PITA ABS system to shut off. But on the highway I would ride that Triumph over my GS any day. Cruise control on the Triumph is a great feature and that motor.

Obviously I went with the GS. My reasoning for that was simply the off road capability of the GS and fuel range, that and I am a BMW guy; love em always have always will. Also the Triumph has alot more "exposed" in the even of a crash. I have heard of sub frames cracking and cyclinder heads becoming damaged due to design flaws in certain crash bars.

Dont let the price full you either. After I equiped the Tiger comparable to my GS it was about the same. I think the Triumph was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Good luck in your ventures! I would suggest you test drive the shit out of all of them. Dont rush into a buy. You will be spending alot of money so make sure you get the right bike.
  6. EwanMcGregor

EwanMcGregor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I considered buying a Tiger 800XC but finally fell for the F800GS... Adventure.

I'm totally chuffed with my decision. I hope this bike lasts me years.
  7. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    The Tiger is sharp looking, but too many little complaints about them. Love my F800GS. No regrets. And the BMW company is about everywhere if you need parts or service.
  8. omekim

omekim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll invoke my "Camry Rule" here....

All other things being equal, I will always choose the thing sold in bigger numbers. Two reasons:
    1) If everyone is buying it, its probably pretty good
    2) If there's lots of them, there will be lots of support for them

F800 vs Tiger, I think (2) is most applicable here: there is _tons_ of aftermarket support for the F800 both in farkles and expertise. Add to that BMW's bigger presence and infrastructure (at least in my area), and parts come quickly because they are available in local warehouses. I've heard some brutal stories of trying to get basic Triumph parts out of England.
  9. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode a Tiger and was surprised how much I did not like it. It was geared too high, and was too top heavy and power did not really come on till about 3500 RPM. I am in Madrid Spain today just finishing a trip that started in South Korea in July. Would I do that on a Tiger. Hell no. But I don't want to sound too critical. Dave
  10. Squanto!

Squanto! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd wait a few months and see if the Honda AfricanTwin coming to the USA is real or just a rumor.
  11. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    That Honda does look interesting. If they build it like I want them to it won't be a two up bike like the F8GS, but more of a 690 competitor. :norton Of course, I lost the phone number to Honda corporate office so I'm doubting they'll hit that nitch market.

As far as the BMW vs Triumph, I agree with the Camry thinking posted previously.

David
  12. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to be a big BMW fan.

Got a F658 GS six months after they were introduced in the USA. I enjoyed riding it but it was a constant source of aggravating problems. Damn thing stranded me twice and I didn't even take it off road.

After two years,24,000 miles I traded the Beemer it for one of the very first Tiger 800s. Had three minor problems but they were sorted by the dealer in short order. After two years 23,000 miles traded it for another tiger 800 a year ago. 12,000 miles on the new one and absolutely NO problems. My original Tiger was sold to a friend, now has 50,000 miles and the only failure was a starter at 45,00 miles that Triumph replaced even though the bike was well out of warranty.

So based on my experience, I would say that Triumph is superior in reliability, quality control and dealer response.

I like the Tiger better than the BMW for what I use my bike for- riding around the country side and occasional touring.. If I was a backwoods guy, might have a different opinion
  13. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took dealer Triumph demos on some good afternoon rides, including a few rugged gravel/dirt roads.
    I chose 800GS a little over a year ago, and I'd do it again!!!!!
  14. Hamish71

Hamish71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.

On my second F800GS now....so I did!
  15. NOTAGAIN

NOTAGAIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Test rode both, 2014 Tiger filled my needs better. 80% of my riding is road and forest service type roads. Tiger felt more nimble on all tracks. No trouble yet 7,000 miles. I also believe in the Camray rule -- but plenty of aftermarket stuff for the Tiger. One BMW dealer and two Triumph dealers where I live -- better negotiating power with Triumph was a key in my decision. No complaints on the GS, but my smile was a little bigger while on the Triumph -- as others have said you can't go wrong with either.
  16. Brokebrute

Brokebrute Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses. Not going to buy till next summer. Just trying to get as much information as I can to make the best decision. Hopefully I can find someplace to rent them so I can get a good ride no them. Dealers around here only let you ride on the pavement.
  17. YAHBO

YAHBO Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer:
    I am a new F800GS owner (non adv) and while I have only put 1600 miles on it, I feel like I can add a bit to this thread.

The build quality of this bike (and all BMWs) is exceptional. Park one next to any bike with a similar price point and slowly look them over. No contest.

These 800s handle well provided you get that front tire pressure just right. A little twitchiness will be felt if you run the recommended pressures. Lower is better.

You won't be blown away by the motor. It feels like a big thumper (four stroke single) even though it is a twin. I gets buzzy in the upper rev range, though honestly, there is no reason to rev this motor. The middle is meaty...just short shift it and enjoy.

I like this bike. I like the styling, it is comfortable (now, after sending the seat to Russell Cycle Products), and the aftermarket parts/accessories that are available will allow you to do exactly what you want.

Mine won't see much off roading other than dirt roads, but I have built it as a middleweight sport tourer as I like the lighter weight and nimbleness of this machine.

The 800 is a great product.
  18. Armor11

Armor11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good thread Good info... I also will be buying this next spring and was looking at the F800GSA and the Tiger 800XC. I think it will come down to where are you going to spend your time! If it is more on the ADV side of things then get the F800, if it is more street touring then I think the XC is the one to get. I have been reading reviews and watching youtube trying to get all the independant info I can. I personally am leaning towards the Beemer for the reason of the want to do more off/back roading, and the support for the BMW product in my area is better. And, For street riding I have my GXSR600 I can ride like I stole it!! OP..... Good luck on the decision, I don't think you can really make a wrong one between the two.
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of people ask me, how do you like the bike, and It takes at least 5 minutes to explain my feelings. So here is a condensed version.

I like the ergonomics. Narrow at the waist so I can move around on it and easy to stand up on once I raised the bars some. Very stable in loose conditions. A little throttle pulls you out of trouble usually.

I like the engine. Lots of torque across the RPM range. It will lug and doesn't require a lot of shifting. It is deceptively fast enough, matching a Triumph in the 1/4 mile. It does get buzzy at higher rpms.

To me it felt like a big ole dirt bike. That won't impress road riders too much.

I did not like the pre 2012 suspension and I don't know if the later bikes are any different. I didn't like the low rpm abrupt throttle that no one will notice unless doing 1st gear rock crawling.

If BMW would put a 270 crank in it and maybe go ride by wire for throttle control, I would be more apt to buy another.

In the mean time I will wait to see what Honda puts out.
  20. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree and have to add the BMW has a big jump on it's competition.

Back in late 1973 the "1974" CR125 Honda Elsinore came onto the scene. Honda's first attempt at a two stroke, wicked fast, lightweight and $400 cheaper than it's European competitors. People bought them in droves.

Later in 1974 Kawasaki introduced the KX 125...rotary valve, same size, weight and cost as the CR and in a drag race the KX could pull the Honda. However, the short amount of time between the release of the Honda and the release of the Kawasaki, the aftermarket folks started producing aftermarket everything for the Honda...pipes, suspension, heads, cylinders and a bunch of other things. They were making so much money with the Honda, the aftermarket companies never really supported the KX. The KX also sported that rotary valve that you really couldn't do much with and a chrome cylinder that turned people off a bit. So in the end the Honda won out.

The Elsinore was so successful that it wasn't changed much in the next three years and until Yamaha introduced their monoshock and Suzuki came out with their RM series with layed down Kayaba shocks, Honda didn't do much except roll bikes off the assembly line. By 1977 Honda had to step up and start producing competitive bikes again.

Personally, I think it's a great thing that Triumph as come up with a bike to compete with the F800 series. It puts BMW on notice that someone else is in the game and they can't rest on their laurels and let others grab market share.

This is currently happening with Harley's and Indians.

Competition between corporations is good for the end users like us. I'd love to have cruise control on my F800 like the 2015 Tigers. I'm sure that's coming for the F8, probably when they offer "fly by wire" throttles.