Would you buy again?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Brokebrute, Nov 7, 2014.

1. bc217

bc217 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought the 800gsa back in June and had the same question. I went back and forth based on styling, but after riding the two it was clear that the 800gsa was a bike that gives you the confidence in the trail if/when you need to turn around or venture through tough patches.

My decision to get this bike was one that has come with 0% regret and I'm normally one that continues to look back for what I missed even after the purchase. About the only mistake was not buying the bags with the bike, but I thought more options would be available by now.

The high center of gravity on the Tiger is the primary thing that kept me from feeling comfortable, and there has not been any case where this bike feels too much to hold onto after a certain degree of tilt (6.0ft, 170lbs, dreams about lifting weights). I saw the Honda and interested (not to buy), but very interested in how they progress through a competitive market where we put a lot of demands on such a bike.
  2. 1world1life

1world1life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at both the Tiger and the F800 a few months ago.

I was edging towards the Tiger as I thought the triple would be more exciting than the twin.

What swung it in the end was parts and servicing costs. The Tiger was going to work out almost twice as much as the F800. Have to admit I was surprised by that but it was more than enough to swing it for me.

Love my F800 just wish the weather was warmer so I could get out on it a bit more!

Craig
  3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Good Info and good points by everyone.

I think pretty much everything changed this week with the new Tigers. Right now it is a wait and see for the price.
  4. tangerine

tangerine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the bodywork of the GS (perfect shape with the rallye seat!), but the motor could be more exciting.
  5. bimbim86

bimbim86 Some Guy

Oddometer:
    I was pondering the "would you buy again" question yesterday as I was removing my skid plate to inspect the giant hole in my oil pan. The answer is no. Not because it's a good bike but because it does not suite my riding. No matter how much I want it to you are very limited on your off road experience. The suspension is soft and when you spend this kind of money you figure they would give adjustable suspension on the front and a better rear. Build quality I am skeptical, they design everything to "give" so you don't have to replace bigger parts (or that's what the dealer told me)I've gone through a set of mirrors and hand guards already, the 300 dollar skid plate I bought from BMW let me down, the metzler tire that came with the bike was shot after 400 miles (not really anyone's fault just a bad tire, either way I had to pay to replace it, a few other bits have gone missing, gear shifter is crap, have had to replace front fender due to front bottoming out fender hit the front bar of my crash bars,and bmw roadside assistance is useless and a giant PITA to deal with (was stranded for 24+ hours in BFE because they couldn't get their shit together) If I had to do it over again I would have picked up 500cc dual sport. But the type of riding I do I really push the bike.

But buy the 800 if your doing nothing but street and dirt roads. Just avoid single track and even some two track.I also highly recommend the Hepco crash bars. Well worth the money and they are sturdy and do their job well. I would also probably lean more toward the standard 800 and kit it out over the adventure. The weight difference and size is noticble. The bigger tank is nice but I'm starting to believe it's not worth the extra weight.
  6. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought mine in 2010 so its an 09....here goes the bitch
    1. cost....too much
    2. dealer...nice blokes but at $500.00 minimum a service for anything ...too much
    3. that fucking seat
    4. that small assed kickstand foot
    5. the candles they call lights
    6. snatchy throttle
    7. shit suspension
    8. wheels that are way to soft(probably chinese recycled pot metal)
    9. cam chain knocks about
    10. its stalled once on me in 4yrs but it still stalled
    11. fuel tank cracked
    12.stripped cheap ass bolts trying to do maintence
    13. the rear brake lever needs to be adjustable and bigger foot print

Thats about all the cons i can come up with for the moment....fixed or bandaided everything but 8&9... so Noooo ...unless they totally fix 2-13...then that might justify 1
    I might bitch about this bike alot but i still like it enough not to trade it in on anything new yet...in my opinion its one of the best looking bikes from factory of any dealer.
  7. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Response to Murph76: Long term BMW owners know that if you buy one of their bikes, you pay more than you want, then you need to go out and immediately buy a aftermarket seat, then when the stock shocks wear out, get a set of Ohlins. So I am thinking you are a first time BMW owner and you did not realize that some negative things come with owning a BMW. On the other hand I will take those negatives over some other bike any day of the week. Dave Rankine
    P.S. Here is a story that illustrates my point. In about 1973 I walked into a motorcycle dealer intending to buy a bike. They had a BMW R90 silver smoke on the floor selling for about $1800, and a Triumph 750 twin selling for about $1200. I said to myself, that German bike cant be worth $600 more than the Triumph. Anyway, the BMW is likely still on the road, and the Triumph got scrapped decades ago. Hoping you understand the point.
  8. Heifer

Heifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would buy another. I went from a G650 single to an F650 twin, test rode a 1200GS, and prefer the twin. The big GS is very nice, but it is not worth $10K more to me since the twin is so sweet!:freaky
  9. cougsfan

cougsfan cougsfan

Oddometer:
    I have pondered that question "would buy my GS800 if I had it to do again?". I am not sure of the answer. I am a long time dirt bike rider and have always owned a road bike on the side. I was looking for something that would do a bit of both. Not necessarily single tracks on the off road side, but some fairly serious off road stuff.
    The GS is 80- 90% biased toward the road in my opinion, and has several glaring weaknesses when you get it off the pavement. Worst of which is that she is heavy and carries it weight high, which shows up as a severe weakness at slow speeds in any terrain less than easily negotiable. Low gear is way too high, which makes that problem even worse.
    But on the other hand, it is well made, and probably better quality than anything in its class, and there probably isn't any better ADV bike to buy (which means all manufacturers are a long ways away from making my idea of the ideal ADV bike yet)
    I would love a a ADV bike that weighs around 400 lb or less, probably a 500 to 600 cc counterbalanced twin (for on-road smoothness) with decent suspension and a engine tuned for low end torque, a really wide ration transmission, and not be a cheaply made "entry level" bike. Maybe some day.
  10. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    My LordÂ… BMW owners whinge about their bikes more than any other make I have ever seen :huh EVERY bike has their issues.

Maybe its the price point that sets people off as they believe that because they have paid a bit more things should be perfect ? I don't know. Maybe its the German mindset :lol3

I totally understand the frustration if you've had some problems and I know that online forums are usually the place pissed off people vent but honestly, if you hate the thing so much do us all a favour and buy something else !

You don't have to own a Beemer and one advantage is they do have good resale value. :deal

Personally I would buy another one, no problem. I think they are a good bike and I like them. Perfect ? No but in my opinion pretty good.

I agree with the above comment. To me they are an adventure tourer and more suited to fire trails, road and medium grade tracks. They are heavy and can struggle in serious stuff if the rider is not on top of things. In my mind KTMs are a better choice if your focus is serious dirt - so buy one if that is what you want to do.

I am happy with the bikes limitations as it suits my style of riding and what I want to do nowadays.

[​IMG]
  11. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave ...this is my second bmw enduro the first being a f650gs thumper which i liked but it didnt have enough power for me on the highway ...so i bought the f800gs thinking this bike looks to be the real deal 50/50 enduro and that i wouldnt have to change or add alot to it...i was wrong ...its a sharp looking bike which is another reason i bought it but...by the time i turned it into a true 50/50 machine it now cost more than or right at a new 1200wc/gs...if i had done my homework a little...i would have tried to buy a Ktm 950s.e.r carbed ,but whatever...hindsight and all.
  12. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would buy again. I've test ridden most others in my search for the perfect bike.... It doesn't exist but,

Think about the F800GS for a second and remember that a true adv bike needs to straddle road and dirt worthiness....
    Vs....

Tiger 800XC
    It's lighter than the tiger, it's got more ground clearance, it's arguably more reliable, much much better after market network, tcs and esa, better fuel economy and can take dust etc. it carries the less weight lower than the tiger.

The Tiger is it's only real competitor right now with the new Honda basically building an F800.

KTM 990 much heavier than the f800, worse fuel economy , much higher maintenance..... Oh yeah....they don't make them anymore.

KTM 950, great bike they don't make them anymore. carb issues, lots of maintenance.

Ktm 690, brilliant offroad but can't take a pillion in comfort like the f800 or carry as much luggage. Much less range, vibes, no wind protection, higher maintenance. No esa, heated grips, tcs. You can throw a ton of money at it then make it better in certain areas it lacks but at the expense of weight and other areas where it's good.

Vstrom 650, less power, much much poorer suspension and brakes, 19" front and it's cast wheels.
    Vstrom 1000 basically the same

XT660z Tenere. Same weight as F800 and its a thumper.uch less power, none of the electronic gizmos, no abs etc.

I could go on but the point is this.
    You may not need or want some of the stuff the F800 gives you or has options for but imho it's the bike that comes closest to the do-it-all bike available and it's been doing it since 2008 and still is highly competitive.

People go on and on about its weight...yes it's a heavy big bike but It's the one of lightest Twin adventure bike you will find and def the lightest if you take those with abs and 21" front. If you want so light then you don't want this class of bike you want a plastic bike. 250 and the like.

I do single tracks sand etc with it. Yes I'm not blasting about doing 90mph on the rear wheel but the F800 does it....hell and I'm a noob with offroad riding comparitively. My mate does it on his 1200Gs. Go look at some videos online where these bikes go I bet the bike is more capable than a lot of the riders riding it, myself included.

Oh and to add which probably will drive home my point even more...
    I wasn't a BMW fan at all, probably the opposite.... But I had to admit to myself that there is a reason so many people buy them, and after all was said and done I had to eat my words regarding the F800, it is a good, nay... Great bike. Now I find that I'm riding more than before and I go much more offroad than before.
  13. Fearless Whetu

Fearless Whetu Aussi Kiwi

Oddometer:
    I agree.
  14. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No.
  15. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    I owned a 1997 BMW F650, a 1999 BMW F650, and a 2000 BMW R1100RTSE, along with KTM, Aprilia, Suzuki, Honda, and I will never buy another BMW, I will buy Aprilia...

I know nothing about Triumph but sat on one a couple of days ago, seems nice...
  16. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    Why?
  17. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:

Well those two F650's where actually made by Aprilia, I loved those bikes...
    From 199? to 1999 all of the BMW F650 "Funduros" where made by Aprilia for BMW, they where great bikes. The best BMW's i've ever owned were Aprilia's:rofl

The RT is a Motronic 2.2 oilhead and those where a design disaster, all the while telling their customers that the drivability problems where "characteristics", I'm still a bit sore about that...
  18. OldPete2112

OldPete2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well said. Just because something cost more than the others does not necessarily mean it will be absolutely perfect in every way, well at to your idea of perfect.

I prefer to think of it as a better starting point to be able to build the sort of adventure bike that I want. I already know it needs Ohlins forks and shocks, Woody's wheels, Remus titanium exhaust, etc, etc, etc.

BUT, it is a much better starting point for me than a DR650,or KLR.

Op

All who wander are not lost.
  19. Armor11

Armor11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well written and totally agree!! I don't own one yet, but on its way this spring...

And as for Aprillia, what do they build to compete with the F800? Oh ya, I know!!! NOTHING. Don't get me wrong I love the Aprillia product but they are not in this part of the market. They build a nice sport tourer but that would be competition for the new S1000XR not the F800.
  20. Flyred

Flyred Who is John Galt?

Oddometer:
    I rented a 800 Tiger in Zurich and rode thru the Alps and 6 countries and hated it.
    I bought the F800GSA and rode it around the world and while not perfect, it was good enough at everything. If I ever wear this one out I would buy another.
    [​IMG]