Would you buy again?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Brokebrute, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not too impressed that I will have to fork out another 3-4 k for decent suspension ,but thats a pretty short list of down falls.Pretty well all bikes need to be personalized and I don't have to lower this one.So yes I would buy again!
  2. MANYAC

MANYAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a no on the F800gs. My 2014 has been in the shop for starting issues for 45+ days now with only 2500ish miles on it. BMWNA has been VERY slow to respond to my buyback requests...
  3. charlesernst

charlesernst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Think about where you are going to ride and likely parts needs. Tiger is a great bike, but tough to get parts out in the boondocks. BMW (which I ride) is nearly the same, not quite so bad. I have ridden most of North and Central America…Just saying that it sucks when parts take a couple weeks to get to you…Course you do get to enjoy the cuisine and beer!
  4. murph76

murph76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If i had to do it all over again Ktm 950 or 990 that way i know i just saved myself 4-6k for wheels and suspension right off the top...and chop, grind rebuild everything else to suit me...unfortunately the holy grail of enduros (Ktm 950ser's) owners are wanting your mom's arm and leg for them and/or arent giving them up ...and now i can see y after everything ive explained thats a con on my f800gs.
  5. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would I buy another F800GS.....absolutely. But I don't plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon!

Jeff
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Long term BMW owners must have lots of money, low self esteem, and zero expectations then. Probably late middle age to retirement age, survived at least one life threatening illness, divorced, got reamed in the settlement, grateful for any crumbs life may throw at them in the time they have left.

Sad really.

and I like my F800. Would I buy another?

No.

Why?

Because life is too short to have to do the same shit over again and pay for it so that you can use the excuse that you are so intelligent you can see the endgame through all the crap.
  7. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, you literally could not pay me to ever own another BMW.

Three years and way too much money and frustration in my life that I'll never get back.
  8. MANYAC

MANYAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just added up all the days my 2014 800GS has spent in the shop since purchasing in May of this year and I'm at 54 days and counting!
  9. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    It's so weird to me that a guy with a Ducati is complaining about his BMW's reliability! My 2013 F700GS has been more reliable (by far) than my last 3 Ducatis or my KTM. So much so that it's not even close. I guess it goes to show that anybody can make a lemon. I may have to stop throwing out my "if you think your GS is unreliable buy a Ducati" line.. :)
  10. MANYAC

MANYAC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's funny before I bought the Duc people told me to be careful with Italian bikes. The Monster has been absolutely flawless while the BMW has been a nightmare. Agreed, anyone can make a lemon!
  11. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's a Monster thing? My monster was also the best of the Ducs that I had.
  12. somejuan

somejuan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would I buy another 800? Yip actually been thinking of it for the past couple of months - I've had my current one for 5 years now from new with a trouble free 60K on the clock.
  13. BMWs2Dave

BMWs2Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you forgot to include erectile dysfunction. :rofl

Seriously though, I have owned 2 BMW bikes and have been very pleased with them. No bike is perfect. I have had one of them 15 years now and it is still puts a smile on my face when I take it out for a ride.
  14. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good summary. I am on my second F800GS. Sold my 2009 and had sellers remorse so got a '14 F800GSA. Agree that the suspension on the '14 is better than the '09. '09 as born was way too soft in front.....shock feels about the same. GSA is just right although I wish they'd added some adjustability.
  15. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mate, I love taking mine out. I have a ball on it.

But paying for a new one that has exactly the same issues as the old one just seems so counter productive it isn't even an option for me.

I'd rather move on to something different, even a completely different type of bike and riding, than start again from scratch.

Looking at my mates KTM 1190R Adventure, even though they have their own issues, they are a lot closer to what I want straight off the showroom floor and price wise here by the time I get the F800 to the point I consider fit for task, I've spent as much as a KTM.

I very nearly bought the 1200 GSA run out model, loved it, rode it around and it was just magic. Talked myself out of it. I'd be doing exactly what I do now on one of those, and I'd have to spend money on it to do that.

I'll just ride the F800 into the ground and then buy a big tourer and stick to the blacktop. I'll be too old for fucking around on 4x4 tracks by then anyway.
  16. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph has come out with 4 versions of their 800. The XC now has ride by wire, 4 throttle maps, 3 ride modes and adjustable front suspension with compression and rebound available. BMW has spiffy new colors.

Somebody better get off their ass.
  17. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

It has become the upmarket "thinking man's" DR650.
  18. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, I love the fact that there is direct competition from Triumph.

Although Triumph and "ride by wire" I dunno how well thats gonna go.

Either case I test rode a Triumph 800XC before I bought the F800GS.
    It's a great bike and arguably nicer on the road, offroad the F800GS has it beat. It felt more top heavy than the F800, there wasn't as much ground clearance and you had to feather the clutch a lot more..that is not a good thing imho. The non Adventure model of the recent F800's benefits even more from the new WP suspension as it's not as heavy as the GSA. I havent found the front shocks to be too soft yet but I'm only 6ft and 195lb.

If the new Triumph is the same weight which at the very least it will be heavier, I'll would still take the F800GS I have now. The weight being carried lower and the slight weight advantage cannot be concealed with electronics. At least they improved the terrible fuel economy if marketing is are to be believed which takes an argument away.

Either case the GS's Enduro mode and ESA works for me, so it's good if they add it to the Triumph.
    Maybe BMW will now add adjustable suspension excell rims, ride-by-wire....what else?
    The only thing I would want is for it to lose 20Kgs and thats impossible in it's floor form.

Imho although I really dont want to say this...I think the new Honda is goign to be a Triumph Tiger 800XC / F800GS equivalent...maybe slightly heavier, lets hope the Yamaha aint. Even KTM went and brought out a 1050.
    We want a damn 650 Twin that weighs 375lbs fueled. They had it with the Transalp 600... .. we are going more power more weight etc .

if kawasaki just wakes up they can take their 650 parralel Twin and put it in a smaller frame (Slightly redesign the KLE 500 frame and modernize the look a bit) and let the damn KLR go. We would have a lightweight adventure bike we are all looking for.

The F800GS still comes closest to that holy grail unless you want to ride a orange Thumper. (KTM 690)
  19. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arguably all valid points.

But buying another one that is the same as my current one was before I modified everything is a daunting proposition. My use of the bike puts it in the sort of environment that causes highest wear.

I just managed somehow to kill my chain on the weekend. My first chain and rear sprocket went 50,000km. This one has done 22,000 and is probably the most looked after chain I ever owned.

Front sprockets have averaged about 18,000km

I have tyres lasting on average 5,000kms

Wheel bearings lasting an average of 10,000kms

Suspension reseals on average every 20,000kms

Stator average 60,000km

Rec/reg average 45,000km

This adventure bike riding is harder than it looks.

All these items are just as fragile on the new models. To be honest, as much as I love it, I'm sick of all the down time and endless repairs. I keep spares of most common bits in the garage.

Wheel bearings for 2 complete front/rear rebuilds are sitting on the shelf, so are spare injectors, spare fuel pump, spare side stand, spare fuel rail, front sprockets in 15, 16, 17 tooth, Spare chain, spare tyres....There's more I can't think of off the top of my head.

I suppose the up side is...if I bought a new one, I'd have enough spares to keep it running for a year or so...

I started to laugh, then realised that was about right on my current averages...oh well...did I mention it's fun? I hope it's fun. Oh god...what if it isn't really that much fun? What if it's Shadenfreude at my own expense? Some sort of masochistic ritual, going for a trail ride every weekend?
  20. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snowy yes I hear you and I too am actually concerned that I will have to look out more at maintenance etc than my previous bikes perhaps. I've owned Honda and Suzuki adventure bikes and this is my first non-jap bike ever, so I get a bit concerned when I read posts like yours as this is what kept me away from KTM, BMW and Triumph in the first place, but I can tell you one thing.

In the short time I've owned mine now I've definitely riden my F800 harder and into more sand, irt, water etc than the previous 2 bikes combined.

I'm still new to it so that's not saying much I guess but the F800 makes me go harder and into more muck and dirt and sand than i felt comfortable doing on the others I've owned so if one were to ride the other bikes like this wouldn't chains and bearings and things also start going sooner?
    It's too soon to say if I'm happy with mine reliability wise but i cannot imagine a Triumph being more reliable ridden in the same way. I know for a fact that over here the Triumph 800 parts are not as available and more expensive even though the bike is cheaper than tha F800. I did a cost comparison on certain parts as a "owner looking for parts" before I bought.

And yes...the fun factor...it sure is!

Just a note: I also owned a Honda Transalp.. one of the most reliable bikes ever right?
    it is but in 25 000km Also had to do seals, new battery, new tyres, new chain spark plugs etc. I live by the coast and rust on the mirrors and bolts and so on.
    I see it as maintenance now not, reliability issues.