Would you buy an Indian?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by craigincali, Jul 3, 2021.

1. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I'm on the fence. I'm not much of a HD fan but I like the the low seats, the chill vibe and the dealer support.

Indian has gone thru a few different owners and I question their longevity. I have little doubt that they are a quality company but I also question the dealer network. I ride about 10,000 mIles a year ask over the Untied States.

Do you think Indian will be around awhile?
  2. Sergio22

Sergio22 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes they are fine machine and the Challenger is top
  3. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe, because they have the 1 hole and dont trust the m 8
    GotDammitDave and Oilhed like this.
  4. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really like the Scout. Tried one on and thought it’d be a good fit.There’s been a couple on CL I was eyeing. But, nearest service is several hours away. Makes one a no go for me. I don’t buy bikes I can’t get serviced locally. Been there, done that..
    mtwillyman likes this.
  5. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    That's the thing. If I'm riding all over the the US I need a great dealer network
    bdonley likes this.
  6. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended buying a Triumph ☺️
    Bigfoot11 likes this.
  7. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett I know

Oddometer:
    I had a Springfield for 4 years, no problems and just a couple of recalls. Didn't use a drop of oil either. If you don't crash it, you won't need a dealer.
  8. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    Once the marque was acquired by Polaris any reason to feel nervous about Indian's future should have disappeared. Polaris is a giant company with giant capital and success, they will be around for a long time. The dealer network will undoubtedly continue to expand.

My 02.

Rick G, stk0308, Hulley and 14 others like this.
  9. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    I've never actually taken this into consideration. Why would you? Not like they have the parts on hand. I can order them just as easy as they can. They wont be open two days a week or more than one shift, so they aren't even available 60% of the time. Small stuff any shop can repair. Big stuff, well the trip is probably over anyway. If you wrecked in the parking lot of the dealership and bent your forks: it's not going to get fixed in a day. By the time they order parts and "fit it into their busy schedule" you will be there for couple weeks. At that point I'm going to drag it home and take it where I want. Not be at the mercy of the dealership.
  10. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm performance minded when it comes to riding so Indian is not in my future but if I was looking for a cruiser I'd definitely look at Indian before I considered HD or one of the Jap cruisers. I like the way Indian has kept their unique style while incorporating modern technology, Indian motorcycles is doing well financially from what I've read and they're owned by Polaris so I don't think they're are going away anytime soon. While they don't have the dealer network like HD how many riders really travel long distances where not having a dealership on every corner makes a difference? I believe if you keep your bike well maintained potential mechanical issues can be avoided or discovered before they leave you stranded on the side of the road.
  11. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's like wondering if Husqvarna will be around a while. KTM bought the brand and builds bikes from the ground up (based on KTMs).

You're now talking about the huge company that sell all those side-by-sides and snowmobiles, and created the Victory line of motorcycles and the successful Slingshot. Polaris discontinued its Victory line of motorcycles and bought the Indian brand. The current Indians are designed and built from the ground up by Polaris. The only 'remnant' of the Indian you're talking about is the brand heritage, which Polaris has done an excellent job of honoring in the new bikes.

As to whether I would buy one: In a heartbeat, if and only if the FTRs had decent fuel range. I'm just not interested in feet-forward cruisers. Not my thing; never has been. But the FTR is brilliant, save for the 100 mile range before having to look for gas.

JET
    stk0308, Hittman, Sid Post and 3 others like this.
  12. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    tell that to some victory owners
  13. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened to Husaberg under KTM?
    Chillis, rc51owner and villageidiot like this.
  14. mikes'gs

mikes'gs BOTTOM DWELLER Supporter

Oddometer:
    get the harley ..it's the real deal and always has been IMHO!!(for that type of bike)
    Lost in the world likes this.
  15. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy the bike YOU like!
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah. Fit and finish poor for that price. Small dealer network. And I think they're fugly. On that note they are migrating to a Harley-Davidson clone look. WTF????
    M33 likes this.
  17. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Nobody's mentioned the ethically insensitive name of the brand. That could be a karma faux pas.

When traveling on 2-wheels you really can't afford to risk anything that might bring bad luck.

If I was shopping for a cruiser, I'd probably look at something else.
  18. Wildroamer

Wildroamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Too funny!
    Charleetho and jethrocephus like this.
  19. oldoval

oldoval Pleasant as fuck

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of history, emotion, image associated with the Indian name, all very important parts of the cruiser market and all things Polaris could never match with Victory. Once they acquired that Indian name I don't think they had any logical reason to keep pouring money into Victory.

20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand that, but the poor bastards that bought last year victory bikes or second to last year before they got dumped, Polaris left a lot of owners with a sour taste in their mouth.
    Chillis and craigincali like this.