Would you buy an Indian?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by craigincali, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because Harley Davidson created Harley Davidson? But my question wasn’t about them, it was why didn’t Polaris call their bikes Polaris, really from the start. It’s got a good ring to it, and it’s genuine.
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  2. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They did call them AMF Harley-Davidson it right on the tank.
    IMG_0443.jpg
    davidji, danh600 and Monkeyshines like this.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they should have changed the name to Davidson when Harley passed away in 1943. Makes as much sense as most of this Indian name discussion does... :dunno:jack
  4. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although I am mostly satisfied with my 17 Road King, I consider buying an Indian on a fairly regular basis... primarily because I could use the added wheelbase and premium suspension when Mrs.RD rides pillion. But as a regular reader of the Indian owners forum - their electronics and lingering paint/trim problems scare me. And the heat. I consider it a design defect if I have to delete the cat and add a big ugly leather doodad to keep me from roasting in the saddle. I’m confident they are good bikes on average - hell, a lot of new HD owners have various issues - but my current bike has been rock solid reliable and I’m just not willing to roll the dice.

Polaris would have to loan me a bike for 30-60 days to convince me to buy one.
  5. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    They also killed Brammo
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  6. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Learn something everyday. I never noticed they did that.
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  7. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an 83 Sportster XLX for a little while when it was about a year old. (Wish I had it now.) It had cast wheels, and the wheels had a very discreet AMF cast into them. It really wasn't too noticeable. That was the only AMF marking still left on the bike. I was a parts counterman at an Olds dealership at the time, and I remember a mechanic co-worker wanted to take a die grinder and grind off the AMF. I don't know anybody who liked having the AMF anywhere on their Harley.
    PDarnall, Sid Post and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  8. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s no consolation to Victory owners who (in 2017) were told there’d be only 10 years of parts support.
    rauchman, KSBUTLER44 and Monkeyshines like this.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    How do you think it's gonna go with the Harley manufactured Buells and the street 500/750 for parts? I'm guessing about the same as with the Victory owners. When do you think was the last time you could order OEM bits for your flat head, knuckle head, pan head, and shovel head engines from the local Harley dealer?

How about all the owners of any number of bikes that now are turned down for service on anything over 10 years old. Many Harley dealers are doing exactly that. One advantage for the old Harleys are the clone manufacturers who make the vintage bits and all the independent shops doing Harley work, though.

FWIW I had an acquaintance who had I think a 1984 Harley big twin, back in the late 80s. The model he got was a one year version and he had a heck of a job trying to find accessories for it. Seemed everything was slightly different on the chassis. Engine, no problem.
    danh600 and pjensen641 like this.
  10. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Agree, 10 years of P/S for Victory is about par for the course, even for currently operating OEMs. Usually at the end of that period, parts are liquidated to another business that continues to hold and sell stock. We've seen this with Buell, Motus, the original Triumph.

I have a 2001 Honda VFR 800, and many parts are no longer available and haven't been for years. The aftermarket has filled in in some cases.

BMW is an exception and continues to provide some parts for 50 year old Airheads.
  11. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Honda dealer refused to work on one of my bikes the other day because it was over 10 years old. I bought it there new less than 10 years ago. (It's a 2010. I got it in late 2011.) I have actually purchased 4 bikes from them over the years. Yea, they know I will never darken their door again.

I think you are on your own with lots of bikes after 10 years, still being built or not.
    Hittman and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So............would ya buy an Indian Motorcycle?
  13. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.
  14. Trackjunkie21

Trackjunkie21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You've never owned a ford product have you?
    msahern5 and Hittman like this.
  15. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    I have a BMW/Husky. Ten years is a gift. Vic owners should consider themselves lucky.
    Hittman likes this.
  16. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    It's because of the headaches of aging parts and the "you were the last one that touched it, so it must be your fault" syndrome. Seems if you do the valve adjustment and the bike makes some brake noise after the owner picks it up, it must be your fault. After all, you were the last one to touch the bike and it was working fine when it was brought in.

Kind of the compounding of problems on older bikes, too. The mechanic starts doing the work and finds other problems, they are kind of obligated to point out the issues, then are accused of trying to do more work than asked for. It can just be a problem.

I am kind of surprised that a dealer where you have bought bikes and had work on your bikes refused to do service. I don't think the owner of the shop where I worked ever turned away a good customer's bike for service in spite of being 10 years or older. But that was then, this is now.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although I knew the Harley is a better bike I did not expect that much of a difference. Especially in performance. The Softie M8 soundly trounces the Indian Thunderstroke. Suspension,brakes and fit/finish. :D
  19. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    With reviews like that, I tend to factor in the bias from Advertising Revenue.

That being said, in those two models specifically, I would be strongly tempted by the Harley option. Indian luggage, racks, and saddlebags are expensive and unimpressive IMHO. If the HD dealership experience was better, I wouldn't be looking at Indian touring models!
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:

Are you saying Cycle World fudged the performance numbers?