Would you buy an Indian?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by craigincali, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Sid Post

Sid Post Middle aged rider

Oddometer:
    No, but subjective assessments, summaries and, comments are often influenced towards whoever pays the bills.

Not that dissimilar to what happens with politicians and lobbyists in Congress. "Pork", questionable laws, and tax incentives, often related to lobbyists, are also influenced by the money Congressional politicians rake in for their political campaigns. Why do you think we pay the highest price in the world for common prescription drugs that can be purchased in Canada as one example for a fraction of the USA's cost? Why do you think there is a prohibition in the federal programs against negotiating prescription rates similar to what major medical insurers do? How many major military defense contracts moved forward after massive cost overruns even though the system in question may not even be what the D.O.D. wants or needs?

Follow the money. Why do you think there is a movement to force Social Media personalities to disclose their financial ties with the products they promote?

Personally, I trust the opinion of an experienced rider who has purchased and ridden the motorcycles in question for the non-empirical impressions.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Find a different dealership. The dealer I bought my Electra glide treated my like an old friend from the first call. They aren’t all bad.
    Sid Post, Chuck Pryce and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  3. rc51owner

rc51owner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neither is a performance oriented bike so for *me* the performance difference doesn't factor into any buying decision.

Cheers,

M
  4. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    I've been to all of them within a 100-mile radius from me. If I had a good HD dealership within a couple of hours of where I live, I would be more inclined to buy one. A good dealership experience is one of the reasons why I keep looking at Ducati options but, they are at the extreme range of where I will go at ~130 miles.

The Heritage Classic looks like a nice option so, I definitely want to see one.
    Hittman and KSBUTLER44 like this.
  5. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live within 40 miles of 5 or more harley dealerships, the closest ones to me suck, big corporate run stores, and everyone’s “hey brother” bullshit.

called the longest oldest running dealer in the area and it was a great dealer experience, family run, 3rd generation, even some of the workers are second and third gen not owner family but dad and grandpa also worked there kinda thing.

no markup, no setup, no ADM, no $1500 bike wash. Just bike, destination (on HD website), CA emission (on HD site), tax, title, and a $85 doc fee (standard in the state)

talk about a breath of fresh air!
    concours, ASHE55, hyena and 3 others like this.
  6. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty good summary of my experience. Harley corporate requires so much investment in facilities, clothing, and other stuff I think it is hard for "family" run dealerships to stay with the brand.

The corporate stores are a real turn-off for me too. I also don't need a 20 something blonde in a halter-top fawning all over me either. One store had some 'stars in their eyes' young men on the sales floor that didn't know as much as I did and I'm not a Harley guy!

If I could find a nice family-run dealership that didn't markup and generally price gouge, it would be a lot easier for me to make the switch to a Harley!
    KSBUTLER44 and villageidiot like this.
  7. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you’re anywhere near Topeka Kansas there’s Historic Harley Davidson. Family owned that sales at MSRP with no bogus fees. They also have a small museum in the basement and they have the only Evel Knievel museum in the country.
    Monkeyshines and villageidiot like this.
  8. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I went to college in Stillwater, OK and my sister lives outside OKC. I'm in Texas so, I don't make it to Kansas that often but, I will be sure to put them on my list of places to visit if I ever pass through the area.

I may venture out to Texarkana at some point and visit the Harley dealership there but, it looks like they are a corporate dealership associated with Roughneck Harley in Longview, Texas.
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  9. KSBUTLER44

KSBUTLER44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re welcome. They also do restoration and build old new bikes.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, clear screen plus hard bags, aka Road King. It'd be fantastic!
    KSBUTLER44 likes this.
  11. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:

Truth is truth. HD is continuous since 1903 where Indian and Triumph failed at some point (as in were out of business for decades), and then came back much later. In my mind, HD has mucho credibility in their tradition/history/heritage vs a newly purchased brand name with heritage to try to capture Indian/Triumph's heritage of yore. Not saying Indian or Triumph are bad bikes, they are not. They make some terrific bikes. I give more credit to Triumph in their breadth of lineup. However, I find their marketing blurbury of heritage / tradition to be more than a little disingenuous.

I ride an HD, but am not averse to an Indian. I particularly like the Challenger, as in, I really like the Challenger. It's the first Indian offered that has my wallet aware of some seismic activity. Having said that, I liked the Vic's better and the fact that Polaris dropped Vic gives me a bit of pause to purchase an Indian, as well as the lack of dealer support and stupid expensive accessories. Some say, the limited dealership network is not important. Based on my own experience, it is. The only Indian dealer local to me does not offer test rides, where when I walk into my local HD dealer, they practically throw a bike at me and say go for a ride. Unfortunately, HD really doesn't currently make anything on the cruiser front that resonates with me. But that Pan American....hmmmm
    Monkeyshines likes this.
  12. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what. H-D went to AMF sporting goods... you know, the tennis racket and bowling ball company that darn near ran them into the ground with a poor reputation for reliability... kind of disingenuous too, the riders disregarding that part of the Harley history. If nothing else the Indian name was always on motorcycles, even the little 50cc mini motorcycle. Never tied to anything but motorcycle production and nothing else. Never a subsidiary of any other company, even when Floyd Clymer was selling a variety of brands private labeled as Indians.

But it just doesn't anything, other than an excuse to not like something. Both the Motor Company in 1983 and Indian in 2011 made extremely good recoveries. Harley has worked past the reliability issue among most open minded and knowing motorcyclist and Indian has just been pretty much on since they started.

Much like you, I have no problem with either one. If I had to pick between the two it would totally depend on which one had the bike I liked best.
  13. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What part of continuous production vs non continuous production do you not get?
    Monkeyshines likes this.
  14. fldfcnscsnss

fldfcnscsnss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of morbid curiousity, I took this new chief bobber for a spin a couple days ago. Not my kind of bike, but damn was that fun. If I was rich, I would have ordered one just to blast around town once in a while.

20210713_141523.jpg
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh...the AMF ignorance resurfaces.

AMF saved Harley-Davidson. Period.

Sure they had QC issues...gee kinda like now and for the same reason. Labor issues. Updated production lines and tooling. Diversified holdings...which Vaughn Beals and The Board promptly sold off. Mistake.

Introduced the following to the marque.
    1.)AC generators........still misidentified as alternators.
    2.)Electronic Ignition...one of the first in motorcycling
    3.)Toothed belt dive
    4.)Rubber mounted drivetrain
    5.)5 speed transmission
    6.)Frame mounted fairing
    7.)Disc brakes
    8.)And.......wait for it...............The Evolution Engine....introduced in 1984. I know 2 years after The Buyback. However some may recall the advertising. "5 years in the making....." was the header which makes it an AMF. IMHO to date Harley's best engine. The M8 may be a Contender for the Throne but time will tell.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    I get it, but it doesn't mean a thing. What part of bowling ball/tennis racket maker ownership do you not get? Same deal, doesn't mean squat. Just a bunch of whining. Indian owners say they started first in 1901 Harley owners say Indian didn't continuously build... let's call the whole thing off. :lol3

So Harley was just freaking lucky where Indian wasn't. If it wasn't for AMF Harley would not have been continuous. I'd call that luck.

And as I've said before - sooooo what! I guess you guys are still pissed at each other, H-D vs Indian :pain
  17. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d call it better business sense.
  18. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of hard not to link the two considering Harley has been Polaris’ obsession from the moment they decided to try motorcycles.
    hyena likes this.
  19. Sid Post

Oddometer:
    AMF and Polaris have similar corporate parentage over HD and Indian IMHO.

AMF "may" have saved HD and implemented some good technology but, the quality control during that time was horrible IMHO.

Further, some this is a bit like saying Ford, General Motors, and Dodge today are better or worse because of their historic vehicles of long ago or corporate leadership today or earlier in their histories.

Unless you are a historian or brand loyalist, what matters today is what each manufacturer produces today. Do I discount Ducati motorcycles of today because of past reliability concerns?
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    Not having a company to buy out a company is bad luck, having someone to buy it is lucky, negotiating the sale is business sense.. If there is no buyer interested there is no business sense involved.

This is pretty much the reality. By the way, you forgot to add Triumph in, seeing as how they were extinct for a while, but now are making one hellacious good bike. I'm on board with you. Plus I wish Bultaco would come back, be fun to have a new version of a Metralla or maybe street Astro.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.