Would You Buy the 700GS again?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ARDirt, Nov 9, 2014.

1. ARDirt

ARDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have always liked the F700. Am looking at the 2015 V-Strom 650, 2015 Versys LT and the 700GS. Am also slightly considering the Triumph and New Ducati Scramblers. I am just looking for something to hit the back roads, ride Tom he river for doe Fly Fishing, and just exploring the mountain and backroads here in Arkansas. Really won't be doing any off roading unless it is a dirt or gravel road. Am a dirt back rider and have bikes for real woods and single track riding. I may also want to go on a trip or two. Am 55 so just looking for something fun, functional and reliable.

So would you buy another 700GS or do something else.

Thanks for your feedback.
  2. thomps000

thomps000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a F700GS and traded it in after 6 months for the F800GS. The 700 is a great bike, but I should have bought the 800 all along. The 700 is probably good for what you are looking to do. But I like my 800 a whole lot more.
  3. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would.

I like the f800, but with a 29 inch inseam, my legs dangled too much for comfort.
  4. K7TNT

K7TNT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most defiantly, it works for me and better then my expansions. It was a better fit for me all the way. I also have a 29 inch inseam. :eek1
  5. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a 1200GSA and a 700GS. The 700 GS has the lowered suspension. I do like the 700 a lot. We bought it for my wife, but I tend to ride it more than she. Not sure I would enjoy riding to Alaska on it as much as I did the 1200. But it would be a nice bike to take shorter trips.
  6. ARDirt

ARDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input so far. Am 6" with a 33/34 inseam so height doesn't matter. Because majority of the riding will be on the road just don't see the need for the 800 with the 21" front.
  7. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    That was why I went with the 700 instead of the 800. Like you, I have another bike (690) that is more offroad capable than either the 700 or the 800 so offroad capability wasn't really a concern for me. My 700 pulls commuter duty most of the time and works for everything else I use it for, but I think it depends on your use case. If I could only have one bike I think it would be the 800 unless the Africa Twin ends up living up to the hype and isn't vaporware in the states.
  8. Piki42

Piki42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most definitely. It's a wonderful bike and its taken me through all sorts of situations (including a storm with 40 - 60kph winds and heavy rain), a full day ride (8am to 7pm), and all manner of roads without a single hitch. The bike's handling is its core strength. It's an amazingly stable platform and on country roads, the engine purrs along. Even in gravel, or uneven roads, you can trust the bike not to add to your worries.

I'm hoping that I don't suffer through mechanical problems as a minority of folks do. If not, this is a bike I'd keep for life.
  9. midlifecrisis388

midlifecrisis388 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have had mine for 6 mos and just about 6K miles. Loving the bike and would buy it again. Mostly using it for daily commute. I only wished I forked over a little more cash when ordering for the comfort seat.:D
  10. Brenski

Brenski Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One more vote for the BMW 700. My 2014 with 10K km. on it has been 100% reliable and a solid ride for the use that you describe. I don't think twice about taking it on a two week excursion, or a few hours exploring gravel backroads.
    I chose the 700 over the Triumph because it felt lighter to manouvre at slow speed.
    Good Luck!
  11. GeeK_InsiDe

GeeK_InsiDe Moore Gas!!!

Oddometer:
    And one more.

My 2013 has now 20k km and I'm very happy with it. I had the 2008 800GS before and I can say I prefer the 700.

Of course you'll need a comfort seat and a real windscreen but after that, the bike is a real pleasure to ride.

Commute, day trip or two-up for 2 weeks camping trip, it can handle barely anything you want.

Suspension aren't that great but I ordered progressive springs for the fork, let mount them then think about what we can do to the rear :evil

Had tried both the Triumph 800 and the 1200GS, didn't like the engine of the Triumph and the 1200 was too heavy for me for 2up offroading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    $
    [​IMG]
  12. sdw

sdw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine a little less than a year and have about 7500 miles with no issues. I've made two 1000+ mile solo trips on it so far so most of my riding is commuting taking the long way home and riding on the weekends. I have the comfort seat and like it a lot. Don't really have anything to compare it to except a stock KLR seat so naturally I would think it is great. I usually stay off the express ways but don't hesitate to use them if I time is an issue.
    Now that I realize what type of riding I'm actually doing, I think The F800Gt would be a good fit for me but I'm real happy with what I have.
  13. toooldtocare

toooldtocare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I traded in a 2012 R1200R for my 2014 F700GS and have no regrets. That said, some of the other bikes interest me. I have a friend that has a V-Strom 650, he has also owned several BMWs in the past and loves his V-Strom. If I had to do it again, yes I would get another 700GS, but I would not turn down a Ducati Scrambler either. My first bike was a 250 Ducati Scrambler, bought new in 1966. Big difference between it and the new one.
  14. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 50, recently returned to motorcycling, and have 250 dual sport for single track riding. Bought the 700gs for better highway manners; wanted something still capable of dirt, plus ABS, etc. It actually handles forest roads better than I would have expected, but I've only put 200 miles of dirt out of the 2300 miles total riding since I bought it. For that little amount of dirt, no need for an 800gs.

Love the bike - don't regret my decision for a second.
  15. RblueR

RblueR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love my F700, a problem-free ride with great gas mileage, handling, looks, and easy to handle for my "young" 65 year-old body with short in-seam.
  16. bimbim86

bimbim86 Some Guy

Oddometer:
    OP from the sounds of it a KLR or DRZ would probably suite you well and you could save a boat ton of money. From your orginal post and your plans it sounds like one of those bikes would fit well. Both are extremely reliable, easy to maintain lots of support ect. Its just a thought. If you were talking of doing long rides (300-400 miles plus a day) then maybe it would be a different story. I once owned a KLR and with exception to long travel days it was a great bike, the suspension was no worse than what my 800 is and everything was 1/2 the cost it seemed. Just trying to be realistic and have $ as a driving factor for my suggestion, I don't know about anyone else but I like money

Let the flaming begin....
  17. PhilaADV

PhilaADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had my 2014 700GS for almost 3 months now. Have put 2000 miles on it so far. I really love this bike. I've been using it primarily for moto-camping trips and weekend rides. I still have to change out the stock seat, as it start to become uncomfortable for me after about a 100 miles. Looking forward to doing more off road exploring on it.

I would absolutely buy this bike again.

[​IMG]
  18. Hyro

Hyro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just hit 14k miles in two years on mine. Has met all my needs and then some. She's super happy on a broken country road, highway, or the twisties.

Only complaint is the weight when off-road. Lots of situations are fine, but hitting a steep hill or silt and my nerves just get lost entirely. It's definitely nerves though -- the bike has never failed me!

Here's a chronicle of changes to my F700 over the last two years: https://plus.google.com/photos/104685198745523404091/albums/5900265690533333041
  19. Baron650

Baron650 650x2

Oddometer:
    Posting this in PU I'd say the results are predictable. I'm a current Versys owner, but I drop by here now and then, mostly for the horror stories- :eek1
    Given the other bikes (all twins) you're considering and the intended usage (mostly pavement) you'll probably ignore the KLR/DRZ suggestion. But the financial angle still applies if you're talking Versys or Wee-strom. A compelling argument for those bikes can also be made on the basis of engine character. I took an F700 out for an extended test ride last spring after admiring it's chiseled good looks for a couple weeks. It was a weekday and pretty quiet around the shop so they were alright with me being out for a few hours. Easy to ride with everything right where it oughta be, it was plenty nice for city riding once I adjusted to the somewhat abrupt throttle transitions and narrow clutch engagement. When I got out to some country roads with a few kinks and bends I put the hammer down a bit. Hmmm... The gearing is tall. I'm going kinda fast but it doesn't feel fast. Or fun. Try it in a lower gear- wow, that's pretty vibey! And still not that Fun!
    Out on the freeway the bike was happier, purring along serenely at 70 in top cog. I never tried to shift to 7th, which I still do on my Versys. Ah, it's a commuter. But the seat was terrible, combining the worst aspect of a dual-sport seat with that of a sportbike seat. The stock screen spilled a lot of air on my chest. I guess a lot of folks finance a seat and screen into the bike purchase. And bags too. Wow, that's a lot of dough for a commuter! I mean, we're talking 12 plus, am I right? The 2015 Versys 650LT rolls for about 9 grand with bags. And adjustable suspension. It's not near the slab-eater but it's a lot more fun in the twisties. I haven't ridden the 2nd edition of the V-Strom 650, but my impression of the 1st one was that it was a step toward the then F650T in that it was pretty smooth and rolled a long wheel-base for a relatively light bike. The motor stays smooth all the way up to redline though. If I was a commuter/tourer rather than a practical hooligan I'd probably have one and be happy.
    The "Twingle" on the F700 gives smooth low RPM running and great fuel economy. If those are prime attributes you might also consider Honda's NC700X.
  20. RogerJ

RogerJ Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer:
    ARDirt......rode the 2010 version of the bike through Patagonia to the bottom. Liked it. Rode the 2012 version of the bike from Rio to Lima and liked it. Traded in an R1200GS for a 2014 F700GS and just finished a ten country ride through eastern Europe, Turkey, Greece, Italy and back to Spain. Really enjoying the bike. Yes I did get a comfort seat, changed the windshield and upgraded the suspension (Wilbers rear and Wilbers progressive fork springs) but the suspension change is just because I ride two up with lots of gear.
    Also changed to 16 tooth sprocket in the front to improve off-the-line and walking speed riding.
    Continue to really enjoy this bike.:ricky