Would You Buy the 700GS again?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ARDirt, Nov 9, 2014.

1. CycleDoc59

CycleDoc59 Wrench Rider

Oddometer:
    I bought a used 2010 3 weeks ago. Heavily farkled by the PO,
    which added up to exceed $6,700. Micatech bags/Madstad
    shield/etc/etc. I've been stripping/selling some unneeded farkles
    on ebay.

Got back last night after 2,500 mile trip to Swamp Scooter rally
    in La. Now showing about 27K. Running mostly 75mph with
    a good load, it got about 38-40mpg, which meant stopping for
    gas 18 times. May have to add a fuel cell...

After reading of the widespread stator problem, I pulled it out today
    for a look-see.

It still works, but is stinky, burnt black. It gets too hot to survive,
    partly due to exhaust heat. If yours hasn't failed yet, just give it
    more time... I ordered an Electosport stator
    and series-type Compu Fire rectifier/regulator.

But....it really suits me very well. Sort of a KLR with twice the power.
    So, yeah, I'd buy another.
  2. Capttsr1

Capttsr1 n00b

Oddometer:
    My 2013 700GS is the perfect back road and occasional wide trail machine. It handles great. Not too tall, not too short. I can cruise on the expressway at 80 if necessary without any qualms but on curvy back roads/gravel roads it excels. Pure dirt you'd need knobbies but for what you are describing I think it's perfect. I vote YES.

And yes, the stock seat sucks.
  3. Flashdog

Flashdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my 13' 700. The best all around bike I've ever owned.
  4. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Except that the NC has 51HP and 45Ftlbs of torque... or just about what my 75 CB550 has, or a 75 CB750A for that matter, which is also an automatic

Add in 50lbs more weight and a low 6500rpm redline, I don't see how an NC700X even compares.

I guess you do get 2/3 of the bike for 2/3rds the price, but it is an entirely different beast.
  5. SombraPiloto

SombraPiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy that somebody touched on this because it has been a rather big issue when it comes to my opinion of my 700GS.

If I were to be honest I would have to say that no, I would not buy the 700GS if I had it to do over again. I picked it up because I was looking for something a bit more "travel worthy" than my Ninja 300 (more power, heated grips, panniers, etc) but in hindsight an adventure bike, or at least this specific adventure bike, was a mistake. I'm a 5'5" tall, 29" inseam, sportbiker at heart so the (relatively) tall stature of the GS has caused me more than a bit of tip-over grief and the rather...agricultural(?) nature of the engine has kept me from enjoying my time on the bike.

Now don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly viable bike that will surely serve me well in my travels but it unfortunately just doesn't have that soul-stirring quality for me that my other bikes do. I did just complete a 800 mile, Atlanta-Florida gulf coast-Atlanta trip last weekend that did a good job in redeeming the bike for me but even with that I still can't help but contrast it with a camping trip I took to the Blue Ridge in September where I spent several days on twisty roads chasing my friends on their K1200/K1300S' and cursing my decision to buy the GS. Not smooth, not comfortable, not fun... Again, this is nobody's fault but my own, I just wanted to comment and echo the observations made by Baron650 in the quote above.

If I had it to do over again? S1000XR or R1200RS, not a F700GS.

Ducking and covering now...
  6. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    An S1000XR has a taller seat and weighs more... how is that going to help with the "tip over grief"?
  7. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    I'd also argue that's a completely different class of bike. That's more a multistrada competitor than a 700GS competitor and an R1200RS is a sport touring bike. For the type of riding he's doing with the people he's doing it with it sounds like he just bought the wrong bike. Coming from the sportbike side and wanting to do mostly (entirely?) pavement touring and ripping twisties I think he'd be happier with either of the other options he lists or maybe just go back to a sportbike?
  8. SombraPiloto

SombraPiloto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It wouldn't, but the smoother engine would give me an added incentive to pick the bike back up and continue riding.

You are correct, I did buy the wrong bike. Something with either sportier ergos (R1200RS, F800GT) or a smoother engine (S1000XR, Tiger 800XR) would have been a better choice.

I've made my peace with the GS and am planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future because it's a bike I already have and it does what I want to do. It serves it's purpose, I just don't find it all that fun or exciting to ride.
  9. Capt CF

Capt CF Pontificating Nobody

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree with your assessment of the GS and we've all bought the wrong bike before. The good thing is it's easy to fix! :)
  10. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    That's it, best "all around" I have ever had as well.
    City, country, daily commute, off road, weekend trips or coast to coast touring.

Didn't care for the tall gearing so changed sprockets from the stock 17/42 to a 16/43 which is almost identical to the 800GS. Perfect now.

Yes, would buy again.

-
  11. Wasty

Wasty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my 700 in November 2012 and since then rode 40k km. I commute with it, do weekend trips and long trips with it. I love every mile I've done with it, because it's reliable, handles great, does everything I wanted it to do, even offroad. I briefly thought of trading it next year to a duc scrambler, but I feel the 700 won't let me down and is more capable than any other bike to let me feel the "zen" moments of pure joy than any other motorcycle. Yes indeed I'd choose it again... :)F700gs.jpg

Attached Files:

12. charlesernst

charlesernst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So everyone has an opinion, here is mine. I had a 650, then bought the 700GS in 2012. I have over 75000 miles on it. I ride 60% pavement and 40% gravel but keep Heidenau Scouts on it so I don't ride the pavement so fast. The 700 is adequate for my situation, I might look harder at the 800 GSA cause a bigger gas tank would be nice. I carry an extra gallon with me while touring but have never run out of gasÂ…I rode Arkansas last summer, seemed to enjoy the Ouachitas and the Ozarks. The Boston Mountains are fine! Yes, I would buy the 700 again!
  13. 700GSGirl

700GSGirl n00b

Oddometer:
    Bought my 700gs last year, before the 700 I rode a Yamaha 650 and then a Yamaha 950 tour and I will never go back to a cruiser again! The way the 700gs handles is amazing and is a comfortable ride. Went from Iowa to Utah and back last year and it does great on highway and off road. I would suggest a new windshield though, I bought a ZTechnik V stream and I really like it, no buffeting from the wind at all for me.
    I tell my husband (who rides a 1200gs) every time we rid IMG_1084.JPG e "I love my bike!!"
    Jugghead, MisterC and K7TNT like this.
  14. Jim T

Jim T Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mentioned Triumph. The Tiger 800 XRX would be worth a look if there's a dealer near you (they are somewhat scarce).
    Also you might want to ask this same question over on the Triumph forum.
    I did a long demo ride on both the Tiger 800 and BMW 800. In my case the Triumph won out, although the BMW would of been perfectly fine I'm sure. I've had both a 1150GS and 1200GS in the past.
    Good luck on your quest.................fun endeavor!

Jim
  15. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    The F700GS was initially a left brained decision for me. I wanted to add a bike to the garage that would function like a light sport tourer on pavement, but handle the gravel roads around my home, and never be a handful to ride. Being a happy Triumph Scrambler owner, I thought about the Tiger, but there just aren't enough dealers, and a two week wait for parts seemed like just a bit too much adventure if I were far from home. I didn't think too much about the price premium because the BMW seems to hold its value pretty well, and three years worth of warranty and roadside assistance was attractive. I didn't consider the F800GS, because I wanted the pavement biased wheels etc.

Functionally, I got exactly what I asked for. I can comfortably go for hours more on this bike than on the Scrammy. I find the handling sharp and predictable, but forgiving when I need to correct some dumbass decision I've made in a corner. It has plenty of power for one up touring, IMHO, but I also find it an easygoing partner in city traffic, and fun to hoon around on with nowhere in particular to go.

I have only one gripe: the engine is pretty characterless. It's effective, but if it has a soul, I haven't found it yet. Would I buy it again? Absolutely, without reservation... it's still my favourite bike in this class. But I'd dig a little deeper for the optional Akrapovic can or something like it, just to give it some personality.
    K7TNT and 2thdrinOR like this.
  16. RblueR

RblueR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best all-arounder I've owned .. period.
    K7TNT likes this.
  17. ZTechnik

ZTechnik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it!
    700GSGirl likes this.
  18. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I originally bought a g650Xcountry. Loved it but it was too tall. I bought a 2013 F700GS lowered. Put over 2000 miles on it and crashed it into someone who ran a stop sign and totaled it. But I did love it so much I did actually buy another 2015 F700, virtually identical to my first one but not lowered this time. Love this bike. I am also tip challenged that is why I bought the lowered version the first time. So far, knock on wood, haven't dropped the new one yet. I am sure I will eventually but I would not be able to ride an 800. But this 700 does everything I need a bike to do.

KR
  19. HandKPhil

HandKPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, my '14 F700 is the best all-around bike I've ever owned, and I've had around 15 bikes in the last 10-12 years. I've owned a first-gen Versys, and while that engine was more exciting than the F700's, the suspension on the F700 is much nicer, as are the brakes. Overall stability and comfort of the F700 beats the first-gen Versys too. Fuel economy is better on the F700 too, as is dirt road ability.

I did have to add a $450 Russell Daylong seat to the F700, 'cause the stock seat was painful after 50 miles. I also had to add a taller windshield, and a 16-tooth front sprocket. I had to do all of the same things to my Versys too.

A few have said that the F700 engine is "characterless", and I have to agree it is sort of bland in the way it delivers power. It also has a bland sound. It's plenty strong though, and it's plenty smooth. You just have to rev it to make it go fast. Fuel mileage is good, and you can expect a solid 55-60 mpg at a medium-to-spirited pace. I agree that the $900 Akrapovic can from BMW would probably inject just the right amount of soul into this engine. The Versys engine felt like it had more immediate power, but I can drive the F700 at much higher speed on the highway, and 110 m.p.h. is totally drama-free. Not so on an early Versys.

The F700 handles great. Suspension is fairly plush, in my opinion. The brakes are very, very nice. The bike feels surprisingly light and narrow. Controls are well-placed, vibration is minimal. Two-up power and comfort are more than adequate for short to medium touring. The headlight design sucks, and low beam just does not throw out enough light.

Is there room for improvement in the F700's design? Yes, starting with the headlight. It could use a slightly louder, better-sounding exhaust too. For the money BMW is asking for these bikes, they could afford to make a more comfortable stock seat.

Having said all that, the F700 is still a pretty great bike. Would I buy again? Probably. If they come out with an "improved" version, with a taller stock windshield, and a better seat and headlight, I'd buy again for sure.
  20. blackduchess

blackduchess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^ i LOVE this bike. it handles amazing, great pull in all gears, and the red and black is beauty. i've had a first gen. vstrom 650 and found it to be top heavy and snoozy. sold it to a buddy.