Would you buy this bike?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by gearsoup, Sep 26, 2017.

1. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the market for an F800GS, used. My budget is sub 10k. I've found CL private sales in the 8k range with acceptable mileage:
    https://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/d/2013-bmw-800-gs/6316178454.html
    https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcd/d/2013-bmw-f800gs/6293861695.html

And then I find this gem being sold by New England's largest BMW dealer:
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=10460
    And it seems to me that it's somewhat overpriced. 17k miles for 9.9k? Yeah, it's got panniers, but still.....

Yeah, I'd like to establish a relationship with the dealer (ulterior motives), but it seems that it's priced high. NADA is showing 8.7 high value

But, man, that blue is purdy....
  2. KILR0Y

KILR0Y Is here...

Oddometer:
    It's a great deal gearsoup, I just went down last night and bought it for $9,100 with a one year dealer warranty. It runs out really nicely!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    gearsoup likes this.
  3. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :muutt:doh

Which is odd, since they are closed on Mondays ;)
    KILR0Y likes this.
  4. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    those are not private sellers; all 3 bikes in the CL ads you posted are at dealers. Max BMW has a pretty good reputation (i have used them and feel ok about them); i don't know about the other 2 dealers. Why not go look at all three and pick one????
    gearsoup likes this.
  5. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are correct, I misspoke.
    I'm not too keen on the other two bike sellers, tbh. Called on both of them just now. The white one is being sold by a consignment shop. The green/brown one is sold by a company that sells John Deere tractors...

Why don't I go look at all of them? Well....they are about 6hrs drive apart from each other. Max BMW is the closest one to me, for sure. In fact, they are only 46 minutes away from one of my customers... I might just go pay them a visit tomorrow...

How should I feel about the mileage versus price? I do favor the blue color along with the panniers...
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    the max bike is nice. see if you can haggle a skid plate or crash bars out of them... or at least an 18k service and a brake fluid flush.

*edit* there's a few pretty well farkled ones in the flea market as well.
    gearsoup likes this.
  7. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah there are. That one in Virginia looks super sexy. Truth is, I'm just buying it so I can have fun in my machine shop making parts for it and seeing what works, what doesn't (see this thread)
    So driving 12 hours....eh, not so much...
    <--- Maine
  8. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could bomb down to the one in Loudon for you. Not entirely sure what I'd be looking for though.
  9. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I do appreciate the offer, thank you. Really, I just need to kick the tires on them. Even with the price/mileage diff, the MAX BMW one will be a better fit for me, for a few reasons. I'd like to make a healthy relationship with a dealer, and they do have quite the market share in the northeast. I know I'll be in the market for the F900 if it ever is released :D
  10. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    It's an odd market man. I had my 2016 listed for months at 10k. Full Panniers, 3000 miles, never seen dirt, and more or less 0 bites. :dunno

So I decided to do the sensible thing and enjoy it :lol3

Basically take your pick on whatever is best condition\lowest cost and ride some wheelies.

Andrew
  11. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Between Hubby and I, we move quite a few bikes through our stables. You could piss in a bucket and get more accurate price than NADA. I just don't think they have reliable data since bikes are such a smaller segment, and there are so many more variables (e.g. off road condition, accessories, etc).

PS Any reason you aren't looking on this site for a bike?

$8,500 in NH 7K miles http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2012-bmw-f800-gs-trophy-edition-in-nh-price-drop.1237074/
    $10,500 in WV 11K miles http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2013-f800-gs-fully-farkled.1252806/
  12. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a few reasons, I'd prefer to find an 2013 or newer. So, I saw the one in NH and was seriously considering it.
    The one in WV is beautiful. However, being self employed, I just can't take a couple days off and fly/drive out and check it over. And I'm not cozy with the idea of buying something "Sight unseen"
  13. JackpotDuc

JackpotDuc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's an 800gs adventure on bmwmoa site. It's in Maine and was like $6200
    No relation, just passing along info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :eek2

That seems......suspicious. I'll def. look into it, but you know what they say about "too good to be true"....

At any rate, it's too late though. Yesterday morning, I made a 3.5 hour drive down to southern Massachusetts and picked up a pristine '13 F8GS, 7300 miles, new rubber. Not a scratch or ding on the thing. Not a speck of surface rust or oil leakage. Got it all registered and inspected yesterday. What a joy to ride. Oh, and it's factory low suspension and seat. I'll post pics up today
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    so you ended up buying the bike from the John Deere dealer after all? :photog

congratulations!
  16. gearsoup

gearsoup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep! I really wasn't cozy with the idea of a 17k mile bike for 9.9 (they would only come down to 9.2) and once I found out the one in MA was factory lowered, I was VERY interested in it. You see, I'm....vertically challenged, at only 5'7", 29" inseam. Rather not learn how to ride this bike at a disadvantage

Funny thing about the "John Deere" dealer. That shop (All Power in Granby) deals in everything motorsports related. Lawn and Garden, snowblowers, tractors, Suzuki, outboard motors. Really weird cross section