Would you use a New in the wrapper Michelin tire made in 2011?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by wildwestrider, Mar 5, 2020.

1. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP has made his decision but the conversation continues which shows how interesting this topic is and how different the opinions can be.

Basically the bottom line is the tire may have excessively oxidized OR the tire may actually be fine. Sure you could give it the ole thumbnail test but really the only way for us riders to know would be to mount it up and give it a go. No, you will not wreck on the first attempted corner. Well, at least not due to the tires age. If the tire has become to hard you will feel it and know based on how the tire performs and holds. Just the fact that you may mount up the tire and have to remove it after only a few miles will eliminate many riders.

Some riders will immediately replace the tire. Hell, some complain about tires that are just 2 years old. Others will mount it up and go. Just like some riders use $12 a quart motorcycle oil with manufacturers filter and others use diesel truck oil with a Walmart filter in their bikes. Both work...it just depends on the rider. Whatever makes them comfortable and confident is the right answer.

Just for future notice, if someone has a tire they are unsure of (age, flat or other) please do not simply dispose of tire as someone may want/need it. I have riders that want my take offs because they are worn on the edges but have plenty of tread in the middle. Go figure.
  2. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that is my exact situation I only have 28,000 on my 13 Accord Coupe. I have 19,000 on my 17.5 GS. The Accord was 7 years old and the Michelin's were hard.

I never knew that tires were the issue with Paul Walker's death.

As I said I was told by a friend who happens to do inspections so I went out to Amazon and got 4 new tires and had them mounted. So bad news is when I take my summer rims off the Pirelli Nero Zero's need replaced on my summer rims same issue, old and cracked after the 8th year of running. Again the tread is fine but when you see those cracks everywhere, sidewall, between what little tread pattern there is on a strait Summer performance tire you just have to bite the bullet. While 4 tires mounted and balanced is around 650-700 bucks and a HUGE chunk of change for me on a fixed income. Even though my deductible is 250.00 I think it is cheaper to keep good rubber on everything I own that drives.

Again mitigating risk as best I can, you guys need to decide what is safe for yourselves.
    brianpc and Krons like this.
  3. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't even imagine how the liability lawsuit would go in NY if someone wrecked on used take-off tires. But then again, it IS NY where everybody sues everybody over nothing..............................
  4. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In shopping for new tires last week came across a guy selling a set of new old stock TKC80s...2006 date codes. I thought damn he must have more liability insurance than me.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    One would hope so right??
    Krons likes this.
  6. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have contacted Michelin to make sure I was looking at the date of manufacture and what they think. After all, they made 'em and who would know more?

But then again, that's just me.
  7. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need to contact them...
    https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/...rbike/when-should-i-change-my-motorbike-tyres

The 5 year test… before it's too late!

After 5 years or more of use, tires should be examined every year by a professional mechanic. If the tires need to be changed, follow the manufacturer's recommendations with regard to replacing original components. As a precaution, all tires that have not been replaced after ten years should be changed, even if they appear to be in a generally good condition and have not reached their tread wear limit.
  8. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Yep, they know they want to sell more tires... and accept zero liability doing so...

Geeze, no one even asked if it was a front or a rear.

We all have opinions. Some of you sound like the guy that got all in my face a few years ago about how he changed his tires EVERY year because it's a SAFETY issue. After some conversation I asked him how many miles he rode a year. His answer was that he usually gets to about 4k miles, but not always.

I think a bunch of you are like this guy. When I told him I rode 25-50k miles every year, he just STFU.

Only a few sensible posts in the 3 pages of this thread. If it was a rear, you're not going to ride it 10/10ths and you put on enough miles to use up the tire this season, it would have been fine. It won't be as grippy as a new tire. But it will last a little longer too. Heck, on a PR3, you might see over 10k miles from it. :D That's my base line minimum life expectancy for a rear tire. Any tire getting less than 10k is just marketing hype that it will handle better or give the rider better traction. Right, how about riding the traction pie you have?

If it was a front, I probably would have tossed it too. Only because I wouldn't want to suffer thru a PR3 front tire for any longer than necessary. The cupping was built in from the factory on those. :jack It's a "feature", not a flaw!
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    No where in there did it say anything about a tire that has been stored in the wrap for any length of time. It was all about tires on bikes.

You might be surprised what one actually might learn from a company contact. Brag all you want, I'd still contact the company. Really, who here is actually a tire company rep that would actually have a fact based answer, any takers? I did sit in a seminar where a Bridgestone rep said cracks in the tire are not a problem as long as they are small and not to the belts. Said it wasn't unusual for a bike that gets a lot of use and sits in the sun to have small cracking as the preservatives are leaching out. Also pointed out the fastest way to ruin a tire was tire dressing to make the tires look nice. Said soap and water if anything. He went to Bridgestone from Dunlop, so he had some experience under his belt in more than one company. So, who do I believe?

It's like the helmet thing. Used to be buy a new one every couple years. Seems like now the big names are warrantying for 5 years now and saying 7 years of use. But what if it is kept in a closet away from any source of ozone and not worn all that often? Seems they now are allowing more for low use/proper storage.

So what about a properly stored tire? Who would know best? I'm still thinking Michelin.
  10. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    I have actually spoken with tire reps, for motorcycle tire divisions, on several occasions. In public, they are pretty good about sharing the party line. In private, IF they get comfortable with you, they might share their personal opinions/experience.

Part of my point was that if you're going to use it up in a fairly short amount of time, it's probably a little less of a big deal than if you expect the tire to be on the bike for a few years.
    Krons likes this.
  11. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree it is normal to wear the back of the knobs first, but not this uneven (edit...some of center knobs have more wear than others, IMO they should be more consistent across the circumference of tire)

These Pirellis aren't known for longevity, most reviews have the front at 2500 miles. Mine will be replaced at around 2000 with vibration and uneven wear. No agressive riding or braking as I knew they were older tires.

I won't fault Pirelli, hard to know if it was age, bad balance job or just this tire.
  12. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool story bro? Nice humblebrag.

If you're riding 25k-50k mi annually as a matter of routine, then a more-than-5-yr old moto tire shouldn't even be in your realm of consideration. If you're doing those miles in a straight line on an 11 yr old tire, good luck! You'll probably be ok.

Edit: FWIW I'd have talked mr. once-a-year-tires w/ 4k miles off the safety ledge too, but there's a universe of difference between that example and an 11 yr old tire - front OR rear.
    JimVonBaden and LAFS like this.
  13. glory racing

Oddometer:
    It appears based on this thread no one is going to change their mind due to the responses here. Either you believe the tire could be useful in some cases or you expect the tire will soon burst into flames and explode. The darkside thread might be a thread some of you would enjoy. ???
  14. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody ever changes their mind.................................
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod May as well be talking politics!
    KingOfFleece and Krons like this.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    That's kind of it. You might find out it wouldn't be a problem - or it might be. Don't ask, never know. It could be good for a fair amount of time if there was nothing leaching out the preservative waxes in the compound. The rep noted that the greenish or whatever color, stuff that shows up on the sidewalls is that protective compound coming out of the tire. I remember how the white letter Bridgestones used to look if not washed for some time. Kinda moldy. He said most all tire dressings leach out the waxes and wipe them away... shortening the life of the tires.

I do know the surfaces will harden a bit, even happened on my old Converse Chuck Taylors if they sat for a couple months without being worn. Then after some scuffing, the hard layer is gone. I'm not researching that avenue at the moment, I really don't care since I'm not running old tires, although those on the dual sport are probably around 5 years old.

One cool thing the Bridgestone guy told us about was when a bunch of different manufacturer reps got together at Continental in Europe. The discussion got around to how much pressure the tire would take before bursting. So, probably mostly guys, they had to find out... The Tool Time syndrome I guess. They set up a tire in a cage with a chuck attached to the valve and a long hose to get a safe distance away. It held up over 300 psi with the rim actually failing first. Surprised they didn't use vanilla pudding instead of air...:lol3
  17. glory racing

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I have actually thought about this before and figured it would be the valve stem or core that would fail first.
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and I'm the guy that's done this countless times and had no problems. I bought a couple of Avon Distanzia front tires that were out of date, because that tire is discontinued, and it was the best handling tire for my street scrambler. And... no difference from old to new. I noticed no difference in the hardness of the tire at all. If there's dry rot, I won't run a tire even up and down the block, but so long as there's no dry rot and the tire is still pliable, I see no harm in running older tires.

Charles.
  19. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much how DS knobs wear on the street. My Kenda Big Blocks are like that too after about the same mileage. The uneven wear is no big deal, just take them off, flip them around, and mount them the other direction to get some more life from them.
  20. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't use tires that old on a car let alone on a motorcycle where a failure can be more catastrophic for the rider. That is just me.
    The one thing I wonder though is when someone uses an old tire like that is he/she going to blame the tire manufacturer and play the blame game?? :lurk