Would you use a New in the wrapper Michelin tire made in 2011?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by wildwestrider, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    humblebrag? :confused Why would that be anything special? That's not a lot of miles in the LD crowd. It was just a lot compared to the guy I was talking to. The point to him being I changed my tires several times a year, so his perspective/benchmark didn't really apply well to me. I'm a lightweight compared to some of those LD guys. I was doing multi-day endurance rallies where I might cover 12k in 14 days or 3k in a 3 day weekend. It was a time when I was house poor and I had to choose between riding less or finding ways to save coin on tires. Getting an old tire for cheap or deep discount was certainly one of them. I even ran some take offs that got tossed my way. Not race/track day take offs, mind you.

I don't see people blaming the tire mfg, should they have an issue. The mfg has an liability out, stated useable life span, as others have mentioned. But, like the 'best by' dates on food cans, it doesn't suddenly stop being good at that point, it's just a guideline.
  2. jnw010

jnw010 BoB

Oddometer:
    I've ridden a road bike with tyres that old on it, they'd covered 800 miles when I got it. I did a couple of thousand miles on them with no issue other than they always felt a bit uninspiring in the wet. Changed front and rear to PR3's and the bike felt completely different both in the dry and massively so in the wet. I don't know whether that was down to type or age, but if I was offered an old tyre to put on the bike I would probably chuck it like the OP did. Tyre tech is always moving on.
  3. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Simple risk/reward to me. I wouldn't use it.
  4. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    If it were free I might consider using it, but never at highway speeds or for railing the twisties.