Would you wear a helmet the size of a basketball

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by andmoon, Nov 25, 2009.

1. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    if it was safer?

Why isn't anyone making a helmet for safety safety safety, looks be damned?
  2. HairBear

HairBear I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer:
    My HJC looks pretty close to basketball size now. And if your just being a good American, bigger is better! That would depend. If bigger was heavier then I would think mass & inertia would have something to say. Your head may stop fine upon impact, but that heavy helmet might wanna keep on moving with the expected undesirable consequences.:eek1
    9Realms likes this.
  3. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one already that's the size of a beachball, a Nolan N102 flip-front. It fits great, I love the concept of the flip front, I believe is quite safe, and I paid good $$$ for it, but I rarely wear it. It was fine when I had my BMW RT and was very well protected from wind buffeting, but on my GS I feel like a bobble-head doll. It's just too heavy and bulky, not to mention NOISY. I think that is the loudest helmet I've ever owned.

So NO, I wouldn't wear a bigger heavier helmet even if it were marginally safer than what I have now (Shoei, HJC and Arai full-face) because it would be too goddam uncomfortable. If it were too bulky and heavy I agree with the above that it could actually cause more harm than good in a crash as your head bobbles around on your under-supported neck. Bigger is not always better.

Doug
  4. Joson559

Joson559 Adventure on!

Oddometer:
    No way Jose. I'm sick of all this advocacy of bigger/safer helmets. There aint no way i'm lettin a basketball constrict my vision and hearing!

I'll stick with my ABATE approved skid lid.

[​IMG]
    Laconic likes this.
  5. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    It wouldn't fit, my fat head is already the size of a basket ball without a helmet.
  6. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shoei Hornet i wear is as big if not bigger than basketball.
  7. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out SuperSkin, I think these are helmets of the future...

[​IMG]
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    From a purely practical standpoint, a larger helmet would have more wind resistance. Possibly more important, if your noggin did happen to strike the pavement, there would be more leverage twisting your neck due to the greater radius of the helmet. Add to that the likely greater weight, difficulty with storage, and I'm sure a host of other problems I haven't considered, and I think you'll find the current "typical" helmet size is an optimal compromise.
    CRP6001 and Vertical C like this.
  9. shikataganai

shikataganai moof

Oddometer:
    i'd wear something ugly and bulky if it was proved to improve safety. i'd still expect it to have non-horrible qualities in the other, non-safety realms of product design, such as weight, wind noise, and cost, however. (in other words: ugly is ok if safe. but not if it means it's 10 lbs, roars like a tiger, and costs as much as the bike.)
  10. eggbert69

eggbert69 Grarararararararararrroom

Oddometer:
    Bigger helmets do not mean better. In fact, they can be worse since they cause your head to twist more and apply more force to your head due to the larger radius, which is a large cause of head injuries.
    If it's a hypothetical, even then probably not. If you want safety, a motorcycle is not for you. There is always an element of risk that cannot be removed. It's an inherently dangerous activity. There are always cars if you're concerned.... :rofl
  11. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This stuff looks really good. In the case of the open face helmet though I think it would be useless. The stat in 'A twist of the wrist' is that roughly 40% of impacts on the helmet occur on the chin area... If you are that concerned about your safety that you would pay the extra money for the superskin you would think you would get a full face helmet.
  12. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They have a full face called the Solano

[​IMG]

Also an offroad version

[​IMG]

I'll stick with my Shoei Hornet :freaky
  13. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another source of data on impact locations:
    http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/about-sharp/test-protocols/impact-locations/
    CaptCapsize likes this.
  14. Schmeds

Schmeds supportive

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I like the idea of that superskin but am finding it hard to understand how a company supposedly focused on providing the greatest safety features is making black, open-face helmets. :dunno
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Idiot cruiser riders need love too. :rofl

I have had a couple of Lazer helmets and loved them. It took me a long time to find another helmet that fit me as well as the Lazer did.

I say "I had" because I used both of my Lazers. One the day after I bought it. :becca

Oh well I am still here and I guess that is why I wear one.

I will be looking into these new Skin versions when I buy my next. Oh, and it will be BLACK. Screw all that hi-viz stuff.
  17. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    gotta admit, thats pretty funny.
  18. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shark shells are substantially larger than Shoei for my size L noggin. I tried a Shark and it was the most comfortable thing till riding highway for a whole day. My neck told my head to go back to the Shoei.
  19. DeerSlalom

DeerSlalom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I call bs on that superskin. So it's designed to grab as skin does when it contacts a hard surface and then offer a limited movement around the hard shell as skin does against a skull.

How is this better than a hard outside shell that will slide against pavement immediately upon impact? I see it as another case of "Advanced" technology so astounding that it must be superior. "Inspired by nature"..."The greatest advance in head protection since the invention of the full face helmet"...sounds like a ShamWow pitch.

Prevents rotation? I'll take a quality fiberglass helmet that prevents rotation by sliding as opposed to nature's tendency for inherent shortcomings.
  20. Tsaven Nava

Tsaven Nava Banned

Oddometer:
    It's funny, I have that exact same helmet and was going to mention it when I saw this thread :)

I had to tweak the interior padding a bit to fit me, but after that the helmet lasted me for a 27,000 mile trip last summer. I don't know if I like the helmet or not, though. It is quite large, and by now the flip mechanism is really sticky and takes the squeezing of both hands to un-latch, and then a firm press on the chinbar to get it to click closed.

I know that modular helmets are a compromise in terms of safety, but they are so so so convenient that I don't know if I'll ever get a solid full-face, unless I start going to the track.