Would you wear a helmet the size of a basketball

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by andmoon, Nov 25, 2009.

1. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
    Me too.

I went to a press gig at the Bell plant in SoCal in the 1980s. While there I was talking to a helmet engineer who mentioned that Bell had experimented with an open-face helmet covered with black leather to match motorcycle jackets.

In the end, they scrapped it, because when the helmet hit the ground at speed the leather's friction against the pavement caused severe head rotation. Fiberglass, he said, was more prone to slide, and therefore a better choice.
  2. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    They have a fluid or gel behind the membrane to prevent the friction. At least that is what was stated in the video.

Of course, I couldn't find an online dealer for Lazer in the US.
  3. nskitts

nskitts Long timer

Oddometer:
    They had a skit on Saturday Night Live back in the 80s that was called, "The Helmet Helmet" and was a huge helmet that went over top of a regular helmet. I think about it often when I'm on here and people are preaching the ATGATT sermons.

If they actually built one, there would be some people on here wear it and pat themselves on the back for doing so.
    LOUFY034 and AZbiker like this.
  4. alba

alba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From reading their FAQ I think the theory is during the initial 15ms of the hit there will be a large downward force. The larger the downward force the more likely any helmet is likely to grab and then rotate. It is during this initial 15ms the super skin slides. After that it is like a fiberglass helmet. The theory makes some kind of sense to me but I'm far from being a believer. Would like to see some independent labs backing up their claims.
  5. dogfm

dogfm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It needs to look at least OK too ... BMW developed the C1 (scooter with a roof), it was incredibly safe but also looked weird so it didn't sell & was dropped.

Motorcyclists are a conservative group despite the sometime rebel reputation etc. so any new product has to lead us gently into new realms ... IMHO
  6. dixda

dixda Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aria XQ1 nothing less! I value my noggin even though I slog it with spirits more often than I should. I ride an 87 XL600R and want to look good in the casket.
  7. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    On this size versus effectiveness and safety, I'd think F1, MotoGP, and other top tier motorsport arenas would use as safe and protective a helmet as possible. They may like style too, but their cars and apparel are highly functional and safe. F1 and Indy cars have installed a protective ring at the cockpit now, and road racing moto guys have under the leather pads, impact bolsters, spine protectors, etc., etc. I'm of the belief that until some amazing new material comes on the scene, helmets are probably about as safe as they can reasonably be without them introducing other negative outcomes. Small and marginally effective baby steps will probably occur, like the Bell MIPS and some others, but huge watermelon sized helmets full of some magic foam are probably not in the offing.
  8. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    A decade old thread
  9. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Like others have said here, my XL HJC full face helmet is probably real close to basketball size. But that matters not on whit to me, its on my head to protect my brain, not to look as small as possible. 1st function of any helmet is to protect your brain, 2nd your head, 3rd is comfort/features, 4th is how it looks on my noggin.
  10. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda there now. The Scorpion 420 is very long. It sits off the edge of my helmet shelf more than my other lids. But on my weird, peanut-shaped head, it's way comfortable, so that's fine with me!
  11. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmets aren't all that much smaller than basketballs right now... :hmmmmm

:type Average helmet OD is about 81 cm circumference, which is about 32 inches, a basketball OD is 29.5 inches circumference...

so sure, I already do. :nod

Howdja like that TNC? :lol3
  14. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I thought you liked more colorful helmets, Mark. (see preceding pic) That is a nice comm system you have at least.:D
  15. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3:thumbup
  16. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My large 6D atr-2 looks huge compared to any other helmet. It’s like 4” thick immediately from the back of the neck.