Wow an actual fuse!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by bmwroadsterca, Feb 11, 2020.

1. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I just learned that the later years F700GS (and presumably F800GS) have fuse perched on top of the battery. It's a 30A fuse. The owner's manual describes it as the "main fuse" (voltage regulator).

Anyone familiar with how and where it's wired in? Just curious since the bikes went without such a thing for most of the years they were sold.

Fuse F700GS.jpg
  2. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    Im pretty sure there was always a main fuse(ible link) directly off battery to prevent total bike meltdowns . It's the fuse box for everything else we don't have. If you're adding something. A separate battery harness ( with dedicated fuse for load). Is still you best bet.
  3. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    There is no such beast in the schematic wiring diagrams available in the Haynes manual nor have I ever seen one nor do I recall anyone ever discussing one in almost a decade of following discussions here. I am not referring to add-ons. I'd like to know what BMW changed - and why if possible.
  4. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    My '15 F7 has one. It also came with a BMW-branded battery tender that plugs into an SAE connector wired to the battery. I don't know enough about electrics to know whether that's an explanation, but FWIW...
  5. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    My 2013 F 800 GS had the fuse I remember it from when I changed the battery and the first time I had a headlamp issue before I realized there are no other fuses in the can bus system
  6. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Now that's curious as over on F800Riders.org there's a fellow with a 2012 F800GS that saw the photo and said that his bike didn't have one.

And I need to be tedious and say that none of this has anything to do with CANbus. Somehow most of the world seems to have equated using a module to control electrics (the ZFE in our case) to the CANbus (which is a Controller Area Network).
  7. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    We are likely not discussing that same thing. A properly installed SAE lead will have a fuse in it and I suppose one could locate that in the place shown in the photo. However the photo above is not an SAE lead.
  8. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:

That was me, but it's a 2013. Original wiring intact and no fuse.
  9. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    Yes - I hit the wrong key - meant 2013. Thanks.
  10. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    2011 800 definitely do not have that fuse.