1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Wow Basecamp is not very user friendly.

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Meter Man, Aug 18, 2013.

1. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    How do you create a route on roads or trails that are not on your GPS map, and still have your GPS "tell you" when a turn is coming? How do you create a route where there is no road? How do you show a bunch of very twisty trails that each requires more than 500 points to depict it in the detail you want? How do you share a route with others who have different Garmin units or different maps, and have their route take the same path as your route? How do you designate on the screen that one route is "easy" and another route is "hard"? How do you show all possible planned routes on the screen at one time (in an area where there are several trail options)? What do you have to do to ride a route backwards, or if you have to turn around and backtrack your route midway along it? What do you have to do to transfer from one route to the next when the beginning of one is at the same place as the end of another?

The way my buddies and I plan and ride, routes would be 100% useless, and a custom made map IMG serves us perfectly.
  2. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What my buddies and I do is plan for 500 mile days on secondary roads that we usually run at 40-80 mph in areas we don't go every day. IMG is great for hikers. What you are talking about is what as known as a "dumb" map with a position overlay. Fact is that you and your buddies wasted a lot of bucks if you bought Zumo's. What you need is a basic hand held and a paper map. The overlay takes the place of the paper map and whatever you loaded it into just puts your position on it.
  3. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Nobody cares what YOU do with your GPS. I'm pointing out your comments about the custom IMG map are narrow minded and uninformed. The IMG map approach is very useful to some people, and routes (even when they work) are useless to some people.

Just because YOU ride only on roads that are on your Garmin map doesn't mean others do that. The world doesn't revolve around YOUR needs. Open up your mind a little.

Thanks for making my point. For such a case, tracks or tracks converted to an img map are the way to go. MANY people don't want to be limited to riding only on roads that appear on their Garmin map.

IMG is also great for trail riders who have a lot of tracks to chose from and make the choice what to ride while out on the trail. It's also great for sharing all those tracks with others, by simply handing out microSD cards with the custom img map. What I would call "dumb" is a rider who can only go where his GPS instructs him to go.

Who said I had a Zumo? Again, the world doesn't revolve around you and what you bought! Nobody cares! Just because the IMG map concept doesn't work for your style of riding doesn't make it usless to others.

Glad you finally understand what the value of the IMG map is. It's EXACTLY what I and many others need. We don't need a Zumo to tell us what to do. We just occasionally need to know where we are, and see a few good pre-planned options of where we could go. It doesn't sound like much of an adventure if you only go where your GPS instructions tell you to go.
  4. TuefelHunden

TuefelHunden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr. Wild,
    What was the original topic of this thread???? Just a bit of a reminder, "Wow Basecamp is not very user friendly." Basecamp is a Garmin product for manipulating Garmin GPS units, Zumo being the predominant Garmin GPS unit for motorcycles. What do the overwhelming number of motorcyclists use for a basemap, City Navigator. Guess what, that is a street based map base. If you want to ride trails, maybe you should look into a topographic base map. Boaters don't use City Navigator, they use BlueChart. No streets there. If you would look at the various Garmin and other GPS forums on the net, and the various internal forums on many MC related forums, you will see that the OVERWHELMING number of topics have to do with making routes in one way or another. Last but not least, what is the number one thing that people use GPS for on their cell phone or GPS unit of any brand? And the answer is - to find an address. Number two is how to get to that address. Try that with an image. Yes you can use whatever GPS you have to do many things that aren't in the box. IMO you should understand what, in this case, the GPS and BaseCamp were designed to do first.
  5. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Exactly! The OP never said ANYTHING about routes or the Zumo, so you're as far off topic as anyone. And rather than bitch and moan all day about how bad Basecamp is, BKMLWR actually suggested a solution (gpx2img) to some of the problems associated with Basecamp. I appreciate solutions far more than endless bitching about problems. If BKMLWR's solution isn't for you, fine. But that doesn't mean it's not good for others. It's right on topic!
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never realized I was such an oddball.

In the past 14 years I have had 3 different Garmin's for motorcyles a III+, a 60CX, and now a Montana. No Zumo.

I have never used the GPS to find an address per se. 99.9% of my usage is to navigate off-road trips that I have planned on Mapsource and Basecamp.

I have tried used it a few times to look for a motel or gas in an upcoming town. But this has nearly always failed to produce an acceptable result.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait until you get old, then you will be a forgetful oddball.

I got back to ABQ last Friday after being in Houston for 2 weeks. Never thought to contact you. Went to Unser museum then back to Sante Fe to get my bike and head north Saturday.

Like you Tracks is all I ever use on the bike.

However I would literally be lost without my Nuvi in the motorhome. I download way points before I leave but use search all the time. I look for brand of gas, sleep most nights at "Camp Walmart".
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    MS Explore works just fine to read/write (gpx) files to new generation GPS. That is what I use at my events to give customers tracks.

I never understand what people mean by "Mapsource isn't supported"? Do they mean Garmin won't answer questions? Not all that hard to learn all he knobs & switches for this simple tool. Do they mean it won't get any more revisions? What is needed? Only thing that is missing is box to check "Show on Map" which was deleted several versions ago. That ain't going to happen since all the new units only I/O in gpx format and gpx does not have that bit, it has to be added in the unit.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i use tracks all the time and also routes (personally I like auto-routing w/ turn by turn showing and auto-rerouting when I stray).

the key to routes (if you are creating) are to have your software and your unit match the same settings for avoidances. you also need to add more via points to force the unit to go your way. creating routes is sooo much faster than tracks.

as for using some one elses gpx files yes that must be inspected before blindly loading it. first of all you don't know if that gpx is a route or a track. if it's a track then yes you are safe, but if it's a route then a redo is prudent.

as for mapsource, I guess I use older unit (nuvi 500 & 60csx) and have no problems. i can work ALOT faster in mapsource vrs basecamp. to each his own.

10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am suspicious even if it is a track unless the points are time-stamped. There are lots of ways of creating a track without actually riding it.

For rides in remote areas where I am worried about gas I check my tracks on Google Earth to see if there is really a road there. Then I also try to verify that the road exists on as many different maps as possible.

Lately I have found that Travel Management maps for BLM and forest lands are excellent for verifying that a road exists and is open.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've had this discussion before. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. When you transfer all tracks in a single GPX file, you are negating the ability of the newer units to optimize in-memory performance. As long as your tracks have low point counts like you use it won't be a big deal. BaseCamp optimizes the transfer to the unit by place each track into a separate GPX file.

MapSource is what it is. You are correct in that, for Garmin, it's easier to let the device code "show on map"; most newer devices that support tracks do. There is no need to change the GPX spec's. Garmin could update their GPX Extensions to include a "Show" tag but that would require the devices to add code anyway. So, why spend the money twice? To enable "show all", the device must first support multi-select operations before the "show all on map" could be implemented.
  12. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I cannot get over how counter-intuitive all the mapping programs are.

I was kind of hoping for something like a draw program. Click to start a line, then click at each intersection to designate a turn. When I try doing a route that way, I always get something entirely different.

So far, I am not a happy, route-building camper.
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Intuitive" is a relative concept.

If you want BaseCamp to better predict where you want the route to go, try placing your route points AFTER the intersection instead of at the intersection. In addition, make sure that you are placing your points ON the road; you need to zoom in when you place a point.