WP Forks rust behind guard - improved cleaning procedure required

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JustPedal, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JustPedal

JustPedal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a post from rider on local FB group about rust on lower section of forks behind guard I removed the guard on my 2015 GS adventure and ...
    IMG_20160828_081518.jpg IMG_20160828_081536.jpg
    Cleaned up with a phosphoric acid based rust treatment and then silicon lube - I will now be cleaning and checking this spot regularly and will remove guard for full treatment each tire change.
    Canada Mike and Dorito like this.
  2. fattyboombatty

fattyboombatty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue pointed out to me when I had my suspension upgraded. Mine was not as bad as yours, but in the exact same spot. Pretty frustrating
  3. Snks

Snks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You boys near the ocean or something?
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for thread, interesting isn't it, I have the same spots as your smaller one, I remembered this thread from a while ago and had a good a look because I've got my wheel off.

Its very strange how its in the exact same spots on everyones, and not even and area that has anything touching or rubbing it for stuff to just sit there. When I first read this I thought t must be where the fork gaurds and sitting up against something but its not.

The spots are well below the fork sealing bottoming, cleaned up very easy with some fine wet and dry and I sprayed a bit of chain lube on it, a nice spot to keep an eye on and lube up every couple of months