wR250r feedback

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Jan 29, 2020.

1. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Looking for a new DS bike. FYI I’ve owned a few dirt bikes, 125, 250 Elsinore. And the usual dual sports. Suzuki Dr400s, KLR 650 and KTM 640. Oh, yeah 950 KTM Adventure.
    So now that I’m old, and a bit busted up, I think the Yam 250 R is going to give me me what I need. Back road paved capable and back country fun.

thoughts ?
  2. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WR250R was on my radar but I got a KLX250S instead. The Yammie was more money, taller and all new.
    And the better of the two but I'm fine just putting around on my mini tractorsaki.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, do it.

5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the WR does better than the DRZ400? Weight isn't all that different, torquey power delivery is missing on the WR. In BC the ins isn't cheaper. Just don't know what the advantage would be? Better suspension, I suppose?
    Full disclosure: never straddled a WR, love my DRZ for what it does.
  6. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    I liked the drz, just never loved it. If only a 6th gear or less close ratio 5 speed. But likely would have kept it if I didn’t stumble upon that 640 Adventure. But I don’t know for sure, I haven’t ridden a WR. Yet.
  7. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WR250R? Terrible bike...don't buy one.
    UNLESS... you enjoy having a great time exploring out of the way places that bring a smile to your face that gets bigger with every journey! I love mine!

Ride Safe,

TaZ9
    DSCN6445 (3).jpg 20190828_142441 (2).jpg
    Maggot12 likes this.
  8. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oddly, we've had a total of 3 DRZs and the only one that I really liked is my 2003, which seems to have noticeably better throttle/power response than the others. I've looked for 6th gear at least 500 times. The 2014 KLX250 we had was so flat on power I could not enjoy the bike.
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  9. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it was a WR250R that @GravelRider was on when he did an 890 mile day on his way to riding the TransTaiga Road. He may be able to give you some insight on this bike.
  10. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
  11. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if there are any similarities between the F and the R but you know me and my riding technique (or there lack of) the WR250F I had for two seasons was a brilliant bike IMO. wrf6.JPG
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not stick with the 640? It's close to the same weight as the WR250R. Or did I miss something?
  13. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its for sale at Main Jet in Nelson as of Tuesday , your 640 I mean
  14. IanInCalgary

IanInCalgary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently ride a 2015 WR250R which I got new at the end of 2014. Prior to that I had a 2011 DRZ which I got new at the end of 2011. I loved the DRZ but got rid of it mainly because I need to go on the highway at the start and end of long adventure rides and the vibration in the handlebars was killing my hands. The transmission gear ratios are really quite silly but if you ride strictly off-pavement, or strictly on-pavement, you can re-gear to suit. Other than those two gripes I prefer the DRZ over the WRR.

You have to manage your expectations if you ride a WRR. It’s not very powerful compared to the DRZ so you need to get the revs up when climbing substantial slopes. The suspension is not that good – especially the rear shock which has little rebound damping. Both bikes are fairly reliable but still have issues. My WRR fuel pump failed but I was only a 4-minute ride from home so I was lucky.

Don’t kid yourself into thinking the WRR is in any way similar to a WRF. They are two completely different bikes that may share a few fasteners and plastic colour but that’s about it.

I have no intention of replacing the WRR. It is what it is and I’m OK with that. The guys I ride with know that I cannot go as fast as them on the highway and are kind enough to go the speed limit so I can keep up. If you get a WRR you’ll likely find that replacing the stock 43T rear sprocket with a 47T perks the bike up a bit. Other than that just ride the thing and enjoy it and make whatever mods you want after you learn its limitations and quirks.

Ian
    shuswap1 and TaZ9 like this.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I think the drz has been the same since 01. I had an 2001e that I made street legal. The WR is fuel injected.

16. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    WR250R is my favourite small bore bike. Easy to maintain, plenty of farkles available and a strong touring bike. There are ADV members who ride them virtually everywhere.
    20471043-78EB-4431-A8AE-1C2D252C7530.jpeg

494A2AC1-583D-4458-BBC0-7AF08FA8418D.jpeg
    TaZ9 likes this.
  17. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeepers, that's more than I've read I'm sure....seriously though there is plenty of great info in that thread and I think for me the best mods to a factory bike are a seat and the gearing. I would have to look in my records to tell you for certain what I chose for the gearing but it is much better than factory for slow single track and knarly stuff. And I have a Corbin seat for you to try when you get your bike.
  18. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Sold the 640. Weight not really the issue. I bought for a bucket list trip to Mexico. Where it would have been perfect. Around here, it’s a big bike. And I decided to ride something smaller.
    250senuf likes this.
  19. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a 2008 which I geared at 13/47 for street and forest road, then 12/47 on trails.
    I changed the fuel pump after having some hot weather hiccups with it. Kept the old pump, sold it to a guy in Anchorage who ran it for thousands of miles with no problems.
    Great bike for dirt road work. Not so much for single track.
    I wrecked it when steering around a mule deer on a gravel road, or I would still be riding it. See a ride report: 22 cups of coffee, 12 gallons of gas, in here someplace.
  20. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    borscht zanetti and BackRoader like this.