wR250r feedback

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borscht zanetti, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is my two cents: The first improvement over stock I made was a larger fuel tank, I went with the big 4.7 IMS and I think now I might better have chosen the 3.1 as so far I have not been making the long trips I had hoped to need the extra fuel range. With that said I don't really notice the extra width in the tight stuff. With the stock tank I could only get just past Kaslo heading north before the fuel light would be on, Cooper Creek for fuel then on to Lardeau and stop again at Cooper Creek for fuel to get back home.
    The stock seat is not great for many miles according to my butt, I have a SC one on now and have a Corbin you can try when you get your WRR....:evil
    I ended up getting wider pegs as I found the stock ones a bit narrow and I could feel my feet getting sore after long single track miles on the pegs, I went with YZ ones. The gearing I've changed to 14 50 and this is much better in first gear on single track as the stock gearing was a bit tall for going really slow. Bear in mind I'm a trials rider and likely ride on some stuff some folks would not like to ride on...so slow is important for me. The new gear ing seems better on the top end as well, more rpms makes it easier to maintain speed riding up long highway passes. I also had wear issues on the chain slider BUT this only happened once the stock chain became very worn and I was having to adjust it after every ride, one ride it got a bit too much slack in it and that was when the wear happened on the chain slider. Maintain your chain tension and you should have no issues here. Tires, pannier racks, hand guards and hand warmers are the only other items I've added. The suspension works well over most conditions, I may someday get the gold valves that seem popular as the WRR does struggle a bit if you try to ride it like a true off road bike in the rough stuff. Engine I find good, the PO had removed the flapper thingy from the airbox so I'm not sure what effect that has on performance if any. There you go, hope this helps. :beer

Edit, I forgot to mention skid plate....
    borscht zanetti and manybike like this.
  2. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Real world advice.
  3. Outdoor_Girl

Outdoor_Girl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New from the dealer they wanted over $700 US. I bought one on eBay for $125. It was off of a new bike but had gotten scratched.
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  4. northerndancer

northerndancer wandering spirit

Oddometer:
    Hi Borscht and all. I have a wr250x. Same bike with 17's front and back. With Shinko 244's for all terrain tires. My experience is similar to that expressed by others on here, especially Ymirtrials and manybikes. I added a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket and it changes how the bike performs on the long mountain climbs like Paulson and against the wind on the prairies. The things that appealed to me when I bought it used in 2010 still apply. Reasonable weight and power? The stator output allowed me to set it up for long tours/heated gear/grips etc. Fuel injection is nice and easy to not maintain. I have the big ims tank that keeps me from stressing over the range yet doesn't seem to bother me (I am not very aggressive) in tight corners and narrow trails. I love that I can blast up and down 31a and then jump up a fsr or the Kaslo wagon road for a side trip. Or down the single hiking trails that cut through my friends property (yes I stay off the public trails). I did a 3500 km trip that was mostly highway and included Edmonton, through Montana and eastern Washington, Kaslo. After that trip the only thing I changed was the gearing. I have the seat concepts seat which is an improvement over stock. I use a giantloop great basin and tank bag for long trips and a small pelican case and the tank bag for local shit. Change the oil. Put gas in it. Go. Love the brakes (SM has a bigger rotor). Lighting sucks a bit but I don't ride much at night anymore. My BIL from the Peg keeps a well used (kid owned it) wr250r in my shed for his trips to Kaslo. Give me a shout and you can try one out.
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  5. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    That is awesome. I would love to give one a try. Looking out the window at the heavy snow, it’s likely to be a while yet. Thanks for the insights too!