wr250r front wheel alignment problem (bend triple clamp)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tkey_cn, Sep 6, 2020.

1. tkey_cn

tkey_cn n00b

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2017 wr250r. The previous owner may have a big crush on the left side. After I got it and rode it, I feel the front wheel is pointing a little bit to the left side and the handlebar is not very stable at slow speed. So I checked the upper and lower triple clamp found out that the left side of the upper and lower are all 1mm lower than the right. But the front wheel axle is very smooth to slide into both axle holder, based on my experience this should incident that the front end is aligned. By the way, the handlebar does not bend. So I'm confused does this 1mm bend caused the front end out of alignment feeling? Should I check other parts or just replace bent triple?
  2. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Usually the forks bend before the triples on these. That whizzelberry triple is a beast.

Not to say that it's impossible, but it certainly won't be the only damage if it was schwacked that hard. Can you reach out to the previous owner and ask what happened?
    Navin likes this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are probably not bent, just out of alignment. Loosen the triple clamps up and twist the front wheel until it is straight.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  4. tkey_cn

tkey_cn n00b

Oddometer:
    I have done that, the problem is still there.
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

If the fork legs are bent, removing them and rolling on a flat surface will show the bend.

Even if the triple clamps are bent, you should be able to align the wheel so it is straight.

I have taken a lot of really hard crashes and twisted the triples many times, just loosening and straightening everything always fixed the problem. The only time I have seen forks or triples actually bent, many other components of the bike were destroyed and well as the rider.
    Bitingdog, Navin and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do the fork tubes slide out of the clamps easily?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loosen everything but the top triple clamp then compress the front forks a few times (that SHOULD align everything)then start at the bottom triple clamp and tighten that then the axle then the axle clamps!
    Navin and Bitingdog like this.
  8. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I've been destroyed without bending anything :2cry
    Navin, Bultaco206 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    :photog Yup, usually that is the way it happens. I get destroyed and the bike is perfectly fine.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    China rider on a Whirrrrr? Strange daize indeed!
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. tkey_cn

tkey_cn n00b

Oddometer:
    the lower is a little bit tight, but from other riders youtube videos, it seems normal on wr250r. yeah, I'm a china rider, and I do not understand the words "whirrr" and "daize", sorry for that.
    Navin likes this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Try the above advice and you can also rotate the upper tube 90 or 180 degrees to see if anything changes.

Wirrrrr or Whurrrr is a pet name for the WRR, and day/daize. Just joshing aboot. (Canadian for about).
  13. tkey_cn

tkey_cn n00b

Oddometer:
    I plan to take the whole front end apart and measure all parts ( I want bike to be a perfect condition).
    Dual sport bike is a rare thing in China indeed (people usually use it as a dirt bike), and the motorcycle market in China mainly focus on street bike and big adv bike(gs or africa twin etc), but we have very good off road environment in the northwest part of China ( plus no law will restrict you off-roading).