WR250R Fuel Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ejtv, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    Manufacture date 8/08

Fuel pump would not prime after a couple of routine photo ops in Lockhart Basin. Temps in the 100 plus range. Only way to start the bike was push start downhill. Battery and all electronics OK. AM start in cooler temps OK. Thank God. Next day fuel pump stopped working altogether while riding at 35 MPH on Gooseberry Rd on the Fishlake NF. Temps were cool. After towing it for a few miles we were able to push start it on a downhill. Also needed a push start after refueling at Hite, high temps too. At this point I called the ride off and we headed back to Moab. Pump working OK last evening and this am. Waiting for shop to open to replace the pump.

Very erratic behavior for the pump. Seems high temps could be an issue. I got to Moab from Denver in cooler temps earlier in the week and had no problems.

My son has exact bike set up, same ride, 5/08 build. No problems.

Has anyone else had this problem and did replacing the pump fix it?
  2. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    Older pumps, and pumps that have set up for periods of time develop a coating of varnish inside the tightly toleranced pump body. At high heat levels, the pump swells up and starts locking up, only flowing, cooling gas or extended cool down will allow it to work. I have tried cycling a varnished up pump in a bath of fuel injector cleaner and it could not get the varnish out. Pump must be replaced when exhibiting this behavior. This 30mm pump works with the WR250

[​IMG]
    http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/fp-hus
  3. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fuel pump is the weak spot on the '08 WRR's. The problem has been solved on later models and swapping
    the old pump with a new one takes care of the problem. I think the cheapest place you can pick up a new pump
    is Service Honda online for around $213.
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wr250x has been in nearly all dirt since new it is an 08 w/ no issues. The NM desert is high & dry but not near as hot as some. I run it hard but keep a clean air filter & fresh oil/filter. Had one time, as you described. I think it was the brain of the FI telling the motor not to start up cause "IT" was just to over heated. I took it home, replaced the air filter even though it was not ready for a change & the next AM it ran like a raped ape on fire in Antarctica.
  5. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    The CAcycleWorks pump is $130
  6. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:

How did you use It? Did you remove the original pump from the carrier and put the new one in it's place, or set it up loose in the tank?

My wr has a replaced pump and it still failed me in a trail switchback out in the boonies. 80 deg. temps.
  7. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not being a dick, just offering advice you might be able to use. A search would have gotten 9,080 hits from this site alone re: this well-documented issue:

This is how you search ADVRider:

Google this "wr250r fuel pump issues site:www.advrider.com"

Works with other sites too, like http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

8. what broke now

Oddometer:
    'did replacing the pump fix it?'

Beyond all the helpful pump swap how-toos and sources of minimum price pumps, what seems to be shaping up is that replacement with a Yamaha pump off the shelf is no improvement. I have a 2008 and changed my pump to end run the potential failure, and had one anyway. BigDog is currently writing up a ride report, and just replaced his second [or third?] pump. Whether your pump has the new black plastic part or not, seems to make no difference.
    I am hoping to hear that the cal cycleworks pump is the bomb.
  9. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    For those of you wondering, yes, I replaced the fuel pump with new Yamaha pump and this fixed the problem.
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a similar problem two weeks ago when I flew to Phoenix to ride my 2008 north for the Pony Express Trail. The bike had 5500 miles on it and temps about 100. Not run since April. No fuel pump buzz at all. Fiddled with the elec connecter under the tank and she buzzed and fired. Loaded up to go but no more joy. Ordered a new pump from local dealer at $408. Said 3 days so I waited.

Meanwhile I pulled the old pump from the tank and fiddled with it. Seemed electrical, but I didn't know if it was the connecter or inside the pump. Eventually it buzzed. Third day dealer said another week. Shit! Nothing to do but try the old pump.

Bought elec contact cleaner and sprayed all elec connections. Squirted in elec grease. Put all back together and refilled tank. Next 2500 miles over 9 days were flawless. Buzzed every time.

The connecter under that tank is exposed to a rough environment. Probably should be cleaned regularly. I still took the new pump but will keep it as a spare since I fly to ride that bike and have flight constraints.
  11. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Can someone explain how a bike with a non functioning fuel pump can be push started?
  12. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    :ear

Also out of curiosity I'd like to ask...
    Is there any way to install and external fuel pump on this bike and fabricate a different type plate to block off where the factory pump mounts so that it only has a fuel outlet there like a bike without a pump has? Or is it a recirculating type pump that takes the excess gas and pumps it back into the tank like my TU250 does?:ear
  13. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My question also.
  14. ejtv

ejtv Per ipsum

Oddometer:
    Don't know how but in my case it worked many times. Recall that my pump problems were worst in extremely hot outside temps. I think, though I am not sure if it is physically possible, that push starting allowed cooler fuel to flow through the pump and tell the computer system it was OK to allow the engine to start. But if it is really not working, no, it cannot be push started.
  15. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hooold on.... You can just say your looking for a condensed version.. this rant sounds like a grade school kid.
  16. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Another question -- am I mistaken that this has been mainly a problem for the original 2008 model year? Has it occurred on more recent models? If the fuel pump was not significantly revised until just weeks ago, why aren't fuel pump issues as common on model years 2009 and 2010?

I suppose, if etingelefunts is correct that the problem is tolerances and materials, that a lot more of the original equipment fuel pumps will eventually fail.

Regarding the Cycleworks pump vs. a factory replacement, I doubt we'll ever have enough evidence to compare their reliability.

And while I can do Boolean as well as the next guy, I think it's usually lame to harass people for not doing hours of reading prior to asking a question.
  17. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    Great post. Glad this thread stays current. Unfortunately with FI, no fuel pump = no worky bike.

Has anyone ever looked at an inline pump below the tank as a backup? I'm not saying to have there in place in case the main one fails. I realise that can't work, but with a 2 barb fitting in a longer hose it can be put in place easily. The main pump would have to be removed from the pump housing which is fiddly, but there is ample room for it under the tank.

Are there install posts of that cycleworks pump?
  18. what broke now

Oddometer:
    Anybody here have the new part number? I would guess dealers will be wanting to move the original part # units before ordering the 2014 version. I am in the camp guessing that pump failure has nothing to do with the year of the bike.
  19. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old part number 3D7-13907-00-00

new part number 3D7-13907-10-00

anybody know when that new part number came out ?

anyway I have an 08 , original pump , 15k miles , never a hiccup
  20. what broke now

Oddometer:
    You might try a PM to Austinjake on the first page of this thread. I think he put one into a Husky or KTM and wrote it up.

I was able to disassemble mine and confirm that I could reassemble the setup, so if the components are sized the same, it should be pretty easy to fit up.

Also there was a Greek rider on here who bought this pump:http://stores.ebay.com/Felco-Products/Yamaha-Fuel-Pump-/_i.html?_fsub=4427414011
    His post appears on the main wr board post # 36318.
    Several weeks later iirc, he reported that the task was completed.
    [ I would link the individual post , but don't know how, sorry]

@debaisley: thanks for the part#