WR250R IMS 4.7 g fitment question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PittsDriver, Feb 24, 2019.

1. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've just finished mounting up the IMS 4.7 gallon tank on my '18 WRR. Aside from some minor fitment problems, the install went off fine until I got to the point that I attempted to reinstall the shield on the left side of the bike. There seems to be no way to make this part fit properly against the contours of the tank where it's not a snag hazard. What am I missing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your not missing anything , mine is exactly the same . Perhaps a heat gun could mold things a little more to the tank but I never bothered trying .
  3. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    So are you riding without the shield or just leaving it attached with the gap in it? I've gone back and removed it for now and may fashion something that better fits the space there. I'm surprised, as many people that run these tanks, that there isn't an off-the-shelf shield that bolts up in the same place and fits like it should with the tank.
  4. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    I'm riding mine like it is ; attached , I was going to address it when I put some rad protection on ' I also want to mount my Fuzeblock FZ-1 some where up there , meanwhile ,I'm riding :D
  5. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I had the similar problem with my IMS 12 litre.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Normal
    PittsDriver likes this.
  7. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    And this is OK with everyone that's bought it? I think if there's not an existing solution to this, I'm going to look first in how to seal that gap with some foam strips. Not holding out much hope on that solution though. I might next take a dremel tool and a heat gun to the OEM shield and see if I can fashion something that looks like it belongs there. The tank is hideous enough without leaving this kind of objectionable fitment problem as well.
    ACR likes this.
  8. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safari tank will fix it?
    ACR likes this.
  9. Adanac rider

Oddometer:
    The worse looking the bike is , the less the chance of being stole . :bandit I never had anybody come up and say " Hey that's a snazzy looking bike dude " when it was stock but I have people say " That's a good Idea " at the sharpie marks on the see through tank . :dunno It appeals to practical people , " function over form " :thumbup
    eakins likes this.
  10. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    I've gone back and looked at several youtube videos of reviews of the WR250R with the IMS big tank and they all seem to look like the photos I posted of mine.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I guess if that's your desire.
    Seems like a first world problem.
    It's aftermarket and maximized for volume vs oem fit. I just trimmed mine and called it a day.
    I'm out ridding instead.
  12. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    Is there anything discussed on ADVrider that isn't a 1st world problem?

My objective in making any modifications to my motorcycles is to make it look as good as a factory engineered solution. I've been able to generally do that up until now.
    faysal likes this.
  13. mtntrails

mtntrails Life is Short... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine's the same, although my black tank hides it a lot better. It's never been a problem.
  14. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I bought a IMS tank for my WR250R. Consequently I bought an Acerbis tank for my FE501 even though it was 1.5 litres smaller. Worlds of difference in looks between IMS and Acerbis. IMS looks aftermarket, Acerbis looks like it is doing the job for KTM.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  15. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    I heard back from IMS (via RockyMountainATVMC) the following:

OK, well now:
    - I obviously have the tank installed properly on my WR250R so the installation instructions are irrelevant to my question/concern; and yes, I used those instructions.
    - Equally obvious, I knew it was a large capacity tank so am I to assume they offering that as an explanation for the poor fitment result?
    - If they had made the tank slightly larger and conforming to the shape for which this shield mates, it would actually hold a bit more fuel and resolve this problem.

My takeaway from their response is that because it's an aftermarket oversized tank, I should have expected it to have this kind of problem and therefore either be willing to live with it or fix it myself. My other takeaway is that it must be me that I'm overly sensitive to a product that actually fits properly when it's described as being specifically made for my year and model of bike. I've been in product R&D and engineering for my entire career and maybe because of my personal commitment to never produce a product with this kind of glitch, I'm overly sensitive. If I'd gotten back the prototype for this tank, installed it on a WRR and seen this problem, it would have concluded that I have two choices: a) do another spin on the design that fits the OEM fairing shield; or b) offer a replacement shield part that properly fits the tank for anal retentive buyers that expect it to all fit properly. No option would have been "Meh, ship it."

Obviously, I'm way more concerned with function over form or I'd never have installed this hideous disfigurement on my WRR. I'm totally happy with the trade off in looks vs. capacity, translucency, and it's my hope that it won't show dirt nap scars as much as a blue or black tank.

I've mounted the shield back up on the bike and when I have the time, I'm going to order another part from Yamaha and use it as a prototype for modifying it to fit properly. If I can get a good result, I'll post it here in case any other inmate wants to do the same.

BTW, I also emailed IMS technical support and never got a reply. I appreciate the effort that RMATVMC went to in providing a response from IMS.
    faysal and Lost-Again like this.
  16. PittsDriver

Oddometer:

It's been a long, nasty winter here in the mid-atlantic region so I've got a lot of time on my hands to spend in the garage inventing problems like this. I guess it just made me feel better to rant about it for a few posts and I was honestly hoping someone had crafted a solution they could share. I'm obviously leaving the tank on the bike because I'm convinced it's the best option out there for long remote rides on my WRR.
    JDakota likes this.
  17. OUTERLIMITS

OUTERLIMITS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't own a WR, but always thought about that part and that it might not be a great fit with an aftermarket tank that uses the wings for fuel. Is there anything wrong with just getting rid of it altogether? Does it cover or hide something important? I thought it was just the catch tank behind there.
  18. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PittsDriver, you are cracking me up. I can relate.

The tank is what it is. Fitment sucks, it holds a lot of fuel, no other choices at this capacity and that is that, it is what it is. This tank is a function over form product. Slap it on and get riding.

The good news.

It gets the job done, and if it doesn't, IMS backs it up 100%.

I would still rather have the tank, than have nothing and I am thankful that IMS came out with it.
  19. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    @PittsDriver you're not alone. I have a '18 WRR and was on the fence about aftermarket tanks. I had the same concerns with the poor fit of the 4.7 as well as some of the lingering issues with the leaky bungs. It sounds like IMS has been nothing short of excellent in honoring replacement claims for the latter issue and has made some improvements to lower the chance of leaks. That said, I don't know how they've made it to their eighth year of production without getting this product squared away if not perfected.

I'm running a 4.5g IMS on my KTM and it needed to be replaced due to poor fitment. IMS was great about sending out a replacement. That said, emailing back and forth, prepping new, swapping old and shipping was a chore. The fit of the replacement is better, but still a far cry from the Acerbis I had on my last KTM that was beautifully designed and manufactured, didn't leach fumes and cost about the same.

I ordered a Safari 3.6. 4/5 the fuel and 5/4 the price. Not the best tradeoff from a utilitarian standpoint, but as you alluded to (re first world problems) utility isn't the only consideration. We'll see how it goes. I'm preparing to be underwhelmed, but I'll consider it a victory if it more or less fits and doesn't require replacement.
  20. PittsDriver

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments. I've been riding it for the last few days and it's working fine. I put 4 gallons in it to mark the capacity measurements but I'm going to try to run it dry to see how that works to pick up the gas down low in the wings with the internal pump.