WR250R IMS 4.7 g fitment question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PittsDriver, Feb 24, 2019.

1. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over a year and a half later - the rest of the story. I pretty much did what was suggested which is to put the shield on and forget about the fitment problem. This is 100% a matter of being functional and in that regard, the IMS tank works perfectly. I've tested it pretty well in some low speed dirt naps and aside from acting as a fuel barge, it's very crash worthy as protection for the rest of the bike when it hits the ground. It is, of course, pretty fugly so I attempted to dress it up with some custom graphics:

[​IMG]

Surprisingly the graphics have also held up very well to being put on the ground. You can judge for yourself if they dressed up the tank. I've also ran it down to just about completely dry and convinced myself that it has at least 4.7 g of usable fuel capacity with no reserve.

So, I might circle back to this crappy fitment problem this winter when I'm looking for a small garage project, or not. If I do I'll post up the result here but for now, as was suggested, I'm just out riding.
  2. Burt Macklin

Burt Macklin n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you notice any handling differences with the 4.7 gallon tank over the standard? Is it more or less top heaving? Front heavy? Any suspension adjustments needed?
    Looks great BTW!
  3. PittsDriver

Oddometer:

The short answer is no - not really noticed. The tank weighs roughly the same as the factory tank I removed which held 2 gallons. So, for the sake of discussion if I have 4 gallons in this tank - I'm only 12 lbs heavier than a full factory tank and have twice the range. Hell, with a fender bag and tank bag I would've put that much weight on the front of the bike. I think it helps the handling of the bike that it carries a lot of the fuel lower on the bike than the factory tank - down in the side lobes. For ADV style rides even through some gnarly terrain the luggage I'm carrying is much more noticeable.

I'm going to take this WR250R to Travis Jones at Go Race this winter and let him do his magic on it. I'm primarily interested in making the bike handle the weight of my own corpulence when I'm hard trail riding but I'll talk to him about loaded ADV travel as well. Other than a trail bike, my main interest in this ADV WRR is to take on the San Juans in Colorado and some southwest riding like White Rim.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  4. oldthumper

oldthumper n00b

Oddometer:
    Bike looks great. Can I ask where you got the tank graphics and how you got them to stay on? I've read it's hard to get graphics to stick to ims tanks.
  5. PittsDriver

Oddometer:

https://dmkdesigns.com.au

These guys were very easy and accommodating to work with and happily suffered through several iterations of designs before I finalized on the one you see on the bike. They made me the tank graphics as well as a bunch of 3" and 5" stickers for my riding group we call the "Road Hawgs."

I've been known to leave a trail of these stickers behind me in my travels from Key West to the Yukon Territory and from Texas Hill Country to Maine:

[​IMG]

No trouble at all having the graphics adhere to the tank. DMK makes it the graphic with perforations so it's easy to apply with no bubbles and the tank graphics on my WRR have survived many a dirt nap with no real sign of damage.
    redCattledog likes this.