WR250R weave - suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by spdtrpl, Aug 27, 2020.

1. spdtrpl

spdtrpl Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer:
    My WR250R has a weave when I’m going over 73 mph (gps number). The weave doesn't turn into a full-on tank slapper but its unpleasant enough, fortunately it goes away if I back off the throttle.
    Weave is intermittent and doesn’t always happen at this speed or any other speed (thank God) but it will occur on a variety of road surfaces. The weave will occur if I have my weight well forward, or well back. Moving my weight does not make the weave go away, like I said shutting the throttle does.
    I would like any suggestions from the collective wisdom here, as I think I’ve tried everything to fix it.. and I probably haven’t.

The story so far..
    Bought the bike (2014) 18 months ago, at the time it had the stock tank, deathwing tires, yamalink - And she weaved.
    Since then I have tried the 3 gallon and now the 4.75 gall tank, both full and empty - And she weaves
    Changed tires to MT21/606 - still weaves
    Changed tires to Tusk dualsports - stil weaves
    Got both the front and rear rims trued so they are pretty close to perfect now - still weaves
    All the tires have been balanced, and sit correctly (straight) on the rims - still weaves
    Greased the rear linkages, bearings are perfect. Greased the steering head bearings, also look perfect - still weaves
    Replaced the front wheel bearings (back is perfect) - still weaves
    Wheel alignment checked by measurement axle to swingarm, and by promotion gauge - still weaves
    Removed the Yamalink - still weaves
    Dropped the forks 1” in the triple clamp, or flush with top of triple clamp - still weaves
    Tried altering the rear sag, stock, 10mm less, 10mm more - still weaves
    Stock front and rear compression and preload, or my preferred of everything stiffer (!) - still weaves
    Fully loaded with racks and Wolfman panniers for a couple of weeks on the TAT, or naked - Still weaves
    Full tank bag, no tank bag - still weaves
    Removed the Parabellum screen and ran her naked - still weaves
    Removed my plastic hand guards, just ran the aluminum bars - still weaves
    Stock seat or seat concepts - still weaves
    Tire pressure are one thing I haven’t messed with much, currently running 22 front and rear. Pretty sure I have run 15-25 and can’t remember any improvement.

Maybe it’s just the nature of the beast of running a light dual sport on somewhat aggressive tires, and I have had similar problems with KTM enduros, but in those cases I wasn't using the bike for highway sections so it didn't bother me.

Any ideas would be much appreciated
    Thanks
  2. toddhopper

toddhopper Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I can be of much help, but back in the day of playing with REAR suspension settings I was able to induce a VERY concerning wiggle/weave when reaching the limits of rebound damping (or lack there of) on my '13. Can't recall for sure which direction, but assume it was the lack of damping. Have since had local tuner re-valve front and rear so no longer an issue at any speed despite being very plush. Just my $.02, you sound very thorough, knowledgeable, and capable!
    Edited: it was rebound damping that contributed to ill handling!
    spdtrpl likes this.
  3. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    I was on the freeway the other day, and it was bloody hot outside. Noticed a very disconcerting wobble around 65+ mph. Turned out to be my open jacket vents flapping. Some adjustments sorted it out.

It's not the most planted bike at freeway speeds, it's not as miserable as a KTM 350exc-f, but it's still on the miserable spectrum
    Bultaco206 and spdtrpl like this.
  4. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    See if taking your left hand off the bars helps... ie, try ride one handed.
    Dirt2007 and spdtrpl like this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pop on street tires. If its gone.... a bit of "walking" is pretty normal on DS knobs. Id try the always free +30 PSI test too.
    Bitingdog and Bultaco206 like this.
  6. spdtrpl

Oddometer:
    Thanks - Yes, the +30 test would be cheapest and quickest
  7. vanislejay

vanislejay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How smooth is your steering head bearing? This is a common sign of a worn or too tight steering bearing.
  8. spdtrpl

Oddometer:
    Good point, I completely agree - I have dissassembled, cleaned, examined, regreased and adjusted these bearings twice. After just 6000 miles on the bike they appear to be like new (and much better lubricated!)

Just did a short 30 mile test loop at 30 psi (cold) tire pressesure.. which appeared to help :)
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  9. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    DAEF844D-BE5E-4768-9EB7-0D0807B3252B.gif
  10. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buddy Love says you gotta pump it up!

upload_2020-8-28_15-32-56.gif
    spdtrpl, Bultaco206 and Bitingdog like this.
  12. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to the dealership and take a test ride on a new one and see if it does it for you on your roads?
    spdtrpl, Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  13. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. frk1206

frk1206 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in a similar boat. Did you find anything? I’ve realized higher pressure in my mt21s and a stiffer suspension definitely helps. Does yours happen mostly after hitting a bump?

15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my 2 cents, tires & tire pressure mostly cause of front wheel issues. Never had an issue on my 08 WR. Usually Maxxis desert IT front with usually 16 psi, no more. 75 & never a wobble?
  16. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry if its been mentioned but do you still have the stock mirrors? If so, try taking them off and go for a ride.

Mine had a weave at highway speed that went away when I went to small bar mounted ones
  17. AUSTIN_221

AUSTIN_221 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Id take a hand off on the highway and see if it changes. Could just be the wind hitting your arms funny making you pull the bars, the stock windscreen on my 800GS did this. Scary wobble until I took a hand off and changed windshields and instantly fixed.