WR450R coming stateside for 2015

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ec90t, Feb 23, 2014.

1. ec90t

ec90t Banned

Oddometer:
    I got some inside info from my Yami Rep that the WR450R is coming to the US for 2015. No mention of price, but expects it to come in competitively priced. Now the WR250R gets a big brother.
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    And still a secret to the world at large,who woulda thought?:norton
  3. lolpetewtf

lolpetewtf Banned

Oddometer:
    So you're saying I should put off buying a bike until the 2015 year...Not sure I can wait!
  4. Tallbastid

Tallbastid KTM Convert Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. bhorocks

bhorocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is today april fools day???
  6. 2Wheels4Soul

2Wheels4Soul Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

Oddometer:
    Every year
  7. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    As long as the engine is tuned for torque and the 5 speed tranny is wide ratio, I might buy one. I hate the thought of an additional valve to keep adjusted.

[​IMG]
  9. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    The WR450R is coming to the US? Does it even exist somewhere else already?

I thought that the WR450F was just hung with lights, mirrors, and horn in Australia to make it street-legal, which we can do here in FL ourselves anyway. There's no cush-hub, long-interval valves, or wide-ratio 6spd, like the WR250R has.

How reliable is your source?

Competitively priced, huh? Competitive to what? A KTM 450? A 450 dirtbike? A Nighthawk 450? No other japanese mfr offers a 450 dualsport, so there doesn't appear to be any close competition for pricing or performance.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    and if your rep's comments are legit, this: "expects it to come in competitively priced" says it gonna be a heavy pig. you can't keep it lighter in weight and sell it cheap. i'd rather see it $750 more and speced with more upscale and lighter components. instead of chasing KTM, the Japanese are all racing to the bottom these days.
  12. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    OP...obviously your string and two soup cans in your signature got a bad connection.:lol3
  13. AJay112

AJay112 Back on the, "old" ADVRider...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Why would it be any different than the 125 or 250 already being sold... The rest of the world doesn't think, "dual sport" the way the US does. I wouldn't expect a street legal "WR" but a world market "WRR." There is a huge difference.
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

And "enthusiasts" are clamoring for even cheaper grade crap at even lower prices! :lol3
  15. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Setting aside the absurdity of a motorcycle that does not exist suddenly "coming to the US" in some future year, what we have here is an anonymous advrider passing on a rumor from an anonymous "Yami Rep". If you were to comb through the threads in ADvrider over the last ten years or so, you would find dozens of similar claims. My favorites were the ones where some highly placed Honda insider spilled details of the new XR650R dual sport, which of course never happened.

These insiders probably most often are motorcycle salespeople, who while they might be perfectly decent people in most respects, seem to know almost nothing about motorcycles, even the ones they sell. I visited a Kawasaki dealer in the fall of 2007 and asked a salesman when they would be getting the new KLR650. He told me the KLR650 was unchanged for 2008. This was AFTER the all new model had been road tested by several publications. I still don't know if he was that ignorant or if he was lying because he he wanted to clear out his 2007 inventory.

Even the dealers who own the shops don't get that much advance information of new models. They find out at their fall dealer meetings, at which time they are instructed what quantity of each model they will receive.

Since it is almost certain that it would be impossible to create an EPA certified dual sport out of any existing Yamaha 450, the rumored machine would have to be a clean sheet all new from the ground up motorcycle. If Yamaha is planning to release such a machine in 2015, they are likely still in the process of testing and certifying, which means lots of things could still go wrong, and lots of people still have a voice in creating a delay. It's even possible a fatal flaw could be uncovered and kill the whole project.

The bottom line is even the president of Yamaha might not be able to guarantee a WR450R for 2015, so any lower level poser "Yamaha rep" is either passing on a rumor or simply making something up.

The Honda XR650R dual sport prophets were certain that if they kept predicting the new model each year, eventually they would be correct. They seem to have all given up now. The Yamaha WR450R has replaced it as the new air castle of Japanese dual sports. It could actually happen. Just don't get too invested in the details of what and when.
  16. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why couldn't a WR450f be smogged up, catted and leaned out to pass the EPA/DOT stuff?

I'm not suggesting it'll happen, but they already restrict the snot out of them. A fan, a drop in compression? The sticky reflectors on the fork tubes! :lol3

Of course, it is still a 5 speed so who really cares anyway? :evil
  17. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested. same subject was brought up about Honda and I suggested a crf450L not sure if we will ever see it.... I think it would be a nice size bike, Honda or Yamaha.... their 250's seem to be pleasing some people who own them and I think alittle more displacement is all they need..... fuel injection ofcourse, street legal of course...
  18. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would it weigh as much as a DR650?
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

You'd like that! :evil
  20. AJay112

AJay112 Back on the, "old" ADVRider...

Oddometer:
    Just called the dealer and put down a $5000 deposit on the first two he gets. I figure I'll race one and keep the other one pretty.

EDIT: Current rumor from the dealer, It will be an early release 2015... April or so. 265lbs ready to ride, Ohlins rear, Same front as 2015 YZ450F, 35,000 valve service, direct injection with owner tuning plug and software included, HID lighting, number plate and rally fairing included, folding mirrors, Pro-Taper bars, wide-ratio cassette transmission with 2 alternate sets included for 3-5th, 18/21 and 17/17 wheels (17" come with Pilot Pure Michelins and warmers) titanium exhaust AND skid plate. $6700 out the door... but it comes with crap dual sport tires.