Wrapping the cat converter on a 1290

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by DakarBlues, Oct 19, 2019.

1. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Folks,

do you think it's a good idea to wrap the cat converter on the 1290 R?
    I just want to have the heat reduced, anyway winter is setting in, it's not an urgency anymore though.
    Maybe get the new decatted stainless steel headers from Dobermann Performance ($395)
  2. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    A nice se of remus headers just went on the flea market for $300. Kind of pissed I didnt snap them up for future use. Probably could get your money back any time for that price....Yeah, I know ,has nothing to do with wrapping tha cat.
    DakarBlues likes this.
  3. 3rdgeargrndrr

3rdgeargrndrr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have long held concern over any wrapped exhaust on these bikes , especially where the cat sits, is moisture retention and corrosion. YMMV
    Rock709 likes this.
  4. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

5. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Unless you're concern heat on your right foot only then don't bother. Wrap the rear header instead
  6. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wrap the whole damn exhaust. :D Use all 50’ feet.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  7. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please post up a pic of that heat shield mounted once you get it. Id like to see the coverage it provides on the cat.
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  8. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went down this rabbit hole myself, the 1290 is a definitive improvement on the 1190 - I had both side by side and measured header and cat temps and the 1290 was significantly cooler.

I put the insulated rear header on both bikes, although the 1290 was better it was still not great, and the insulated header helped a bit, but I still got heat.

The problem is not really the cat, it does not get that hot on the 1290, you have to hold your hand quite close to feel the heat radiating, it certainly is not what causes the backs of your legs to melt in high temps!

After much pissing around, adding some wrap, measuring temperatures and riding around I concluded that the heat issue is down to a bloody great big cylinder and cylinder head protruding under my nuts....

...I reckon the only 100% fix is to pull the plug caps off the rear cylinder head ;-)
    RichardC, twinrider and thirsty 1 like this.
  9. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or buy a GS:puke2
  10. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of painting the pipe with high temp exhaust paint to seal it and prevent corrosion under a wrap and then putting on a cheap metal exhaust shield before wrapping over that. With people talking about using like 2000 degree resistant heat wrap I was kind of nervous. I took a temp reading after getting home last night and leaving the bike on and the temp of the rear header after a long ride then sitting left on was 480 degrees at the hottest. Thofught it might have been higher. I’ll measure the cat later.
  11. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taking readings from different part of the exhaust, the hot parts are at the header, for several inches at ~480 and fairly quickly cools down to about ~280. Taking a reading on the cat gave a reading about 300 but starting an inche AFTER the cat, the temp jumped back up to 480 range. So the area after the cat for a few inches is where it is actually getting extra hot, not the actual cat. I guess wrapping the actual cat might help it heat up faster to optimum operating temperature if you are concerned about emissions, but after the cat is where its hottest.
    rick danger likes this.
  12. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took my wrap off today and installed this shield by Design Engineering. Shouldn't have the concerns of corrosion over time, as the cat is open to the air. The shield has stand-offs that prevent the shield itself from touching the pipe and air can circulate around it.

Attached Files:

MaddMatt, Bundu and spova like this.
  13. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh nice, that's more coverage than I expected. Looks good.
  14. DakarBlues

DakarBlues One-everythinged man

Oddometer:
    Does the cat guard have foil heat shield?
  15. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They describe it as "Dual-ply aluminum impregnated glass/woven silica construction". It's not "foil" lined.
  16. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    Previous owner wrapped mine. I've been contenplating pulling it off and seeing how it goes.
  17. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed little difference when I tried wrapping, insulated rear header helped a little and the best mod for comfort was a "cool cover"
    ls6777 likes this.
  18. Rock709

Rock709 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always heard that wrapping can trap moisture, and the increased temps can bake/crack the pipe and welds. I think some exhaust company void warranty if a wrap is used. My vote is for not to use. YMMV
    ls6777 likes this.
  19. mokibear

mokibear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool cover?
  20. mwzl

mwzl mwzl

Oddometer:
    Indeed, the Cool Cover makes a significant difference