Wrapping Your Exhaust

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Dec 23, 2011.

1. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done this? and if so, for what reason.

I replace my stock 650 twin panels with the 800 panels and have noticed a considerable increase in heat. I'm sure lots of this is due to how the fairing channels air from the engine.

There appears to be a comment that it increases power but i wouldn't make any bets on that. My muffler is looking pretty gnarly and wouldn't mind wrapping it in black.

The downside i've heard is that the pipes could deteriorate from trapped moisture but is that an issue with the 800/798 exhaust? don't know the material it's made from.

Any comments or photos from inmates would be great.

cheers,
    Mark
  2. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Completely unnecessary. Don't bother. More power from wrapped exhaust -- yeah sure.

edit: I have wrapped exhaust on my supermoto but only because there's a section that is prone to pant-burn that I wanted covered up a bit. On the F8 or F658 you'll get dirt all over the wrapping and it's basically impossible to clean - assuming you ride offroad.
  3. markymcd

Oddometer:
    yep. about as much dirt as i can find. my concern is more about heat and not image. Although I prefer my bike to not look like shit... I also hear from MOD Dave that on the Alternator thread there's been a bit of chitchat about possible potential that exhaust heat might be causing failure of the alternator???? That me be another whole can of debate worms.
  4. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wrap the pipe on my BruteForce 750 to keep my left leg from burning, but beleive me you don't want that crap if you don't need it. It's a waste of money, adds weight, and when wet it smells.
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a section of pipe wrapped on a Husaberg to save me from buying new pants every other ride. I didn't have too much trouble with mud, I just rinsed it off and ran the bike until the wrap was dry. (If it wasn't by the time I made it home...) Now, granted it's a lot drier here in the valley, but I think you should be ok with it. If you decide to install some, I found it worked better and went on tighter when I installed it wet. You'll also need to pay attention to which end you start from as it does retain sort of a snake skin type pattern to it regardless of how tight you get it on there. If you start and finish it with some stainless clamps specially made for that purpose, it ends up looking pretty decent too. I'll see if I have an old picture somewhere.

Attached Files:

6. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    accelerates the rusting, and corrosion of your pipes. Once the mud gets in, it never gets out and the minerals within the dirt cause galvanic corrosion, regardless the material.
    if you want real heat containment use a ceramic process.

7. markymcd

Oddometer:
    it seems like something that's very purposeful to direct exhaust contact and done by people who can perhaps change it regularly. Not so much for someone looking to reduce heat in general for comfort, etc.
  8. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    header wrap will not reduce heat output in the way you're looking for. The heat "issue" is not from the headers anyway, it's from the engine in between your legs. If you want to reduce heat you can look into some heat shield fabric, but honestly.. the F800 heat is not something worth bothering with IMO, it's really not that hot.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/p...hermal-barriers/thermaflect-heat-shield/50/21
  9. BudMor

BudMor Can't have just one.

Oddometer:
    I own a Buell XB 1200 as well and many of us have been using what is refered to as titanium exhaust wrap. Its actually made from lava rock and it wraps alot nicer than the glass wraps and can be wrapped dry. You would want the 1" wide for the bmw.