Wrenching on a F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Elwood Blues, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Elwood Blues

Elwood Blues Groove Inc.

Oddometer:
    Quick question for you guys- what are F800 like to work on? Incessant swearing? Digging thru layers of fairings? Screws in ridiculous places? Spark plugs only Jedis can unscrew?

What about compared to a KLR or G650 (the old one or the XChallenge)?

EB
  2. JediBri

JediBri Glory to GOD

Oddometer:
    Hi Elwood,

I 'hear' oil changes are really easy but I haven't done my own yet. I also hear checking the valves is easy but not so much if they need adjustment.

I did buy the F800 Service DVD from Sierra BMW recently. I love maintaining my own bikes, but I also love having the BMW 3 year warranty without worrying about needing to provide proof of qualified maintenance, so I'm torn on whether or not to do my own.

The BMW part number for the Service DVD (4th edition) is 01 59 7 720 813

Cheers,

Brian
  3. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I've done one oil change and the only difficulty in that is removing the bashplate (BMW). I also got "inventive" with the oil filter wrench (aka pipe wrench) to get the old one off because I brilliantly forgot to get the right tool for the job. I'll probably start using the K&N filters that have a hex head on them in the future.

At some point there was a post where the author heavily detailed a valve check... it's no walk in the park. You have to remove all the front fairings, the airbox, battery, and some other stuff to get to the head. Being lazy and slightly mechanically inept, I think I'll probably let a dealer do it. :cry

Spark plug access: see valve check. Roughly the same deal if I recall correctly.
  4. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering where everything is i think its an easy bike to work on, and you can get at most things. Oil changes are fine, air filter isn't too bad when yo've done i a couple of times. I havn't done valve clearances but as a whole to bike is pretty straight forward.
    The only thing that shits me is the amout of effort it takes to get the front off the ground when doing a tyre, but thats only minor details.
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved the F650 (single) for that alone, you could put it up on the centre stand and pretty much disassemble the front or rear of the bike at will.

O.K. you needed to put a rock on the back to get the front wheel off ;), but it was doable.

And here I was thinking it was clever design - sounds like that was dumb luck :)

Pete
  6. panthercity

panthercity Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer:
    The airheads and oilheads were always noted for being able to balance with either end in the air with just a slight shift in weight. My R1100RSa will have the front tire off the ground if I leave the saddlebags on. Take `em off and the rear wheel is off the ground.

Quite handy unless you, like a friend of mine, take BOTH tires off at the same time and don't lock the centerstand. Picking up an R11 off the service stand when it's sitting on the forks and the bottom of the final drive is a harrowing experience at best...
  7. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I look forward to my first service done solo on my bike (6k service cuz I purchased it used with 3k miles on it).

I have lead design teams to build national Formula SAE (Society of Automotive (Aerospace) Engineers) car prototypes in months. I have raced said cars and even completed my Mechanical Engineering masters thesis on the characteristics of the roll center of the suspension (which I usually designed and fabricated myself). PM me if you are really interested, I could bore you all week with details/papers.

Long story short... Bring it on!!!! I have my service manual (finally after ordering it from overseas and giving the dealer the finger) and I will maintain/service my own damn bike as I see fit (I have extended warranty and I intend to keep all records etc and the warranty).