1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrestling - College & H.S.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Jul 26, 2013.

1. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pa always has the most. But what I thought was impressive was NJ had 27 (I think), NJ has really stepped up its game. Cael has already grabbed the best 1, Nick Suriano. Just finished his HS career. Never lost a match, 4x state champ.

But the most impressive stat was, he was only taken down once in all NJ HS matches. That's crazy.

On another note, the ACC is really stepping up its game. UVa, Vir. Tech, are doing well and grabbing top recruits. Its good to see.

Dapper Dan is set for Saturday - I wish I lived closer to go.

http://wrestlingclassic.com/

US Olympic test matches soon...
    sloMark likes this.
  2. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    We had some of the same refs at D2's the week before. It was interesting that the ones that we thought were the best did not make the trip to NY and some of the worst ones were on TV in NY.

I'm all for the increased stalling calls, but some of the calls were made out of the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law. How do you call a stall on the aggressor just because he steps out? That said, the finals matches were some of the best I have seen.

VA Tech had a great meet. Nick Brascetta is from Colorado. Saw him wrestle when he was young. Always knew he would be special.
  3. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Greco, post: 29011433, member: 26969"

I'm all for the increased stalling calls, but some of the calls were made out of the letter of the law, rather than the spirit of the law. How do you call a stall on the aggressor just because he steps out? That said, the finals matches were some of the best I have seen.

.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the wrestling was outstanding, but I think stalling needs to be called on the pushers, guys who tie up with their elbows nearly touching and try to push their opponent out of bounds.
  4. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stalling thing seems to go back and forth over the years. It is ok, it is not favored and back again. I agree with rufus on that point, if you are not setting up a takedown you are stalling. I guess you could argue you are setting up a carrying takedown from that position....but are you really? That is the heavy resting position.
    Chillywater likes this.
  5. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    As an official, we were taught to watch the feet. If the guy being pushed is on his heels and allowing himself to be pushed, he is stalling. If he is pushing back and on his toes, the pusher is stalling. Our heavy would push to the edge and wait for the guy to push back, then slide by or duck under. He got called a bunch because his opponent wouldn't push back. I tried to argue, to no avail.

On another note, my son's coach just qualified for Rio out of the qualifier in Mongolia this weekend. He wrestles 74kg for Bulgaria, George Ivanov. Had to stay up late to watch, but it was worth it!
    Chillywater likes this.
  6. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Season is underway, thought i'd get this back to the front page.
  7. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Giddyup - Penn State is the real deal again.
    This Sunday on BTN @ noon Live, Lehigh @ Penn State.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  8. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20140419/column0109/140419307

I was wrestling junior high when these guys were above me in HS, it was cool, magical almost, great times as a little kid looking up to them. The coach (left) was also our gym teacher. He was a badass.

I remember the coach coming to our practice and pulling us out to practice with the high school team. I was 145lbs. We walked into the HS wrestling room and I remember actually being scared, it was intense. No drinks, door closed, hotter than hell. He wanted us to workout with his 119 and 126lbs guys, in an effort to work them harder, we had 20lbs on them, coach told us if nothing else lay on them, make them work. I never got home from school before 6pm during wrestling season.
  9. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Watched the Lehigh @ PSU match last weekend & wow studs galore for the Nitany Lions.
    Suriano kid unreal for a true frosh.
    But Lehigh has some very good talent, watch out for Parker @ 133.
    Last night went to Lehigh v. Princeton & the Mountain Hawks crushed Princeton. One of the best match ups was @ 141, Cruz (Lehigh) v. Kolodzik. Cruz isn't much of a shooter but was up after 1st but stopped wrestling and Kolodzik did not.
    But one of the most interesting bouts was @ 157, Lane from Lehigh (not the usual starter) & D'Angelo - these guys were going for the Ben Askren Award for Dr. Funk. I've never seen anything like it, the whole 1st period was constant roll throughs.

Very fun to watch, just when you thought the guy had a take down, the other would scramble again. I hope this match makes it to Utube.
    Lastly on this match, Princeton guys all looked gassed after the 1st period, better get out of the classroom and into the gym.
    On another note, my small HS freshman nephew will be wrestling varsity @ 220.
    It's his first year ever wrestling. He's 6' 4"

10. bfd70

bfd70 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but need to expand to under highschool. Good weekend at 66#
    IMG_1830.JPG
  11. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wrestling geeks. My people!
    I'm a MN Gophers fan, which has been a trial of late. We have the full BTN subscription for watching our daughter play soccer and we keep it going through the winter so I can watch B1G wrestling. I'll admit I tune into the PSU matches to watch the studs they have. It isn't fair the way they have been able to pile up talent and reload seamlessly - Siriano is Exhibit A.
  12. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My youngest won the Hammerhead Wrestling Invitational 140# class for females over the weekend To say I was busting up inside for her would be an understatement. A lot of hard work and bruises for that title.
    RhinoVonHawkrider likes this.
  13. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    That's exciting stuff. :clap
    Congrats to the young lady.
  14. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watched Iowa-Mich. last night on B10 network. What is it about Brands that makes me root against Iowa so much? What a whiner! Joe McFarland, on the other hand, just seems like such a class act. Michigan will struggle this year with so many freshman in the lineup, but when the red shirts are eligible next year, and with the current lineup getting more experience they will be a real threat over the next 3 years. No way they are currently the 10th best team in the country though. Not right now. Those kids are good, but they are going to need to become physically tougher before they are real threats.
    RhinoVonHawkrider likes this.
  15. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    I braved the cold to watch Penn State stomp the Gophers last night. Boy do they have a good team. Their true fresh 125 Suriano lived up to the hype. I expect to see him and Gilman in the finals come March. Retherford/Nolf/Nickal - those guys are from some other planet.
  16. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    I've been away too long

Local teams are doing very well this year

Nazareth HS just won Va Duals & have some nationally ranked guys.

Lehigh U is having a good season with a big match coming up with Cornell

And Flowrestling will put on the Who's #1 Duals next Sunday location 10 minutes from me :)

If I don't ride to Wall of Meat (see Jo Momma section) my wrestling weekend could be awesome.

My nephew is a large freshman and 1st year wrestler in North Jersey, he's @ 220, and mostly getting his ass handed to him but to be expected @ that weight class for a novice wrestling older guys.

But he's a great athlete and the coach sees great potential. He's currently 6'4". Probably has few more inches to squeeze out with a 15 shoe. Football coach, of course wants just training for next season. He was told show up in August @ 260 to start varsity OL.

I told my brother to tell him to fcuk off & that wrestling will help him. Plus he loves it!

OK kids OSU v. Iowa now... Go Cowboys

17. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's go Penn St!
  18. Powershouse

Oddometer:
    Ok, but only because they're wrestling Iowa!
  19. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly
  20. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    District matches complete we're off to Regionals next week for my daughter, it's nerve racking as a parent. Hopefully the weekend after that we'll be in Tacoma for the finals.