1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrestling - College & H.S.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by RhinoVonHawkrider, Jul 26, 2013.

1. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Local Team, Nazareth #14 on Intermat beat the local beasts Bethlehem Catholic (Beca) #9. Beca recently beat them by 20 pts for league title. But Naz got some injured kids back & won the coin toss in Sectional Team Duals for states and beat them by 9! A Big win for Naz.

These two might meet for a third time in State Dual finals in Hershey on Saturday.

http://highschoolsports.lehighvalle...tand-tall-with-win-over-becahi-full-coverage/
  2. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    My easy prediction rang true, it's Nazareth v. Bethlehem Catholic in the state team dual finals today. This should be epic.
    Though I a big Nazareth fan, Beca is pissed they lost to them last week, so they might take it.
    Most likely comes down to who wins the toss.
    Sadly I have to work, would have been nice to see live.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  3. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
  4. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just got to watch that. OSU started off strong but PSU just smoked them...
  5. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:
    My hometown ( Coweta OK) qualified 9 for this weekends state tournament. 7 made it to the semifinals. 1 lost in the 3rd overtime, 1 lost by 1 point and 5 are in the finals! We are 2nd place team, 3 points behind.
    The head coach got fired in the first few weeks and two 4th placers (brothers) from last year quit. 1 of them ( maybe both) would have most likely been in the finals.

---------------------------
    2 champions, 3 runnerups and a 4th place........... 3rd place team. Decent way to finish the year.
    shrineclown likes this.
  6. rufus

Oddometer:

Even us Ok St. fans don't understand why PS wasn't ranked #1. -The match was disappointing for us to watch. Joe Smith looked bad, I have heard he is having a real hard time making weight. Chandler Rogers didn't seem very enthusiastic. Weigal never made a shot, Boyd was overenthusiastic and our HW was injured. Even on a good day I don't think that OSU would beat Penn State. PS is the cream of the crop right now, and should be better next year.
  7. gazoo

gazoo Wandering

Oddometer:
    That's a great year, especially with all the adversity! Everyone should be extremely proud!

My nephew just wrestled in the New York state championships. Didn't do so well, but he had a great season and he'll be on the mat for Bucknell next year.
    shrineclown likes this.
  8. rufus

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday at the big 12 tournament. Mostly a cakewalk for OK ST. 10 in the finals, 20 matches, 17 of them bonus points. There were some good exciting matches though. Kaid Brock and Earl Hall kept the crowd awake. It could have went either way. Preston Weigal manhandled a guy who had beaten him last meeting. Crutchmer had a tough match.

Finals at 1 pm today.

The competition is unreal at Div.1-----OSU has a few 4X state champions who can't make the team. I saw some outstanding wrestlers go 0-2 yesterday. You could see the frustration on their faces. The difference between hero and zero is slight. ANY letup in intensity can cost you a match.
  9. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    O HI O STATE!

There is no way I would have picked them to win the BiG10 earlier this season, no way. But some of those guys wrestled out of their mind. Happy to see Penn St finish in 2nd, and especially happy to see the black and gold NOT in either place!

The NCAA's should be wide open and there are going to be some upsets for sure!
  10. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Man the semi's last night were unreal, especially @ lower weights.
    As a guy who goes to Lehigh matches - I never would have thought that Cruz would beat Gilman. And with Lizak also in the finals - it's an all Lehigh Valley final @125. That's nuts. I can't remember if these guys were against each other in HS.
    Can't wait until tonight.

On the local HS note two kids won States.

Thank God Spring is here. Moto racing starting, wrestling, baseball, March Madness & if it warms up a wee bit, I can actually ride.

11. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. rufus

Oddometer:

Boy did I miss that one. First he gets kicked off the team ( don't know why"). His dad was a national champ and friends with John Smith. Dad got him back in the room and then he dropped out of school. His dad (Mike Sheets) is a veterinarian and coaches kids. Youngest of the family , Cutter Sheets, is in Jr, high. People say he is better than his brother.
  13. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Rufus - Hmmm wrestling in college is so tough, doesn't matter what level, lots of reasons why this young man struggled.

How about Chance Marsteller - can't miss coming out of HS.

I think the dedication needed for wrestling is par none.

shrineclown likes this.
  14. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stumbled on a pretty cool movie. Way better to watch if you wrestled and grew up and was a teen in the 1980's......

enduro0125 likes this.
  15. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aww, watched the whole trailer and I didn't even see Madonna! ;)

Just stumbled upon this thread and boy does it bring back the memories. Former Bloomington MN wrestler who peaked at 10 as the 85 pound Central US Greco Roman Champ back in the seventies and had a decent 60 win HS career before hanging up the booties in 83. Though it's been 30+ years since I've been on a mat this thread has me googling HS Ref qualifications...
    RhinoVonHawkrider likes this.
  16. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Flo wrestling Who's #1, is coming up.

Kid from my kids HS is the marquee match

Sasso

I think I have to work that day, damn

Anyway season is coming up soon

My nephew will be @ heavyweight in NJ

He's raw, 2nd year, but was district 2nd and went to Regions as a rookie + its HS varsity.

17. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    Sasso won
    http://highschoolsports.lehighvalle...with-powerhouse-pin/#incart_river_mobile_home

18. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    And my friend shared this from a wrestling website

Awesomeness

To My Son

You had a tough time on the mat today and the ride home was pretty quiet. I admit I was very disappointed but I later came to realize that I shouldn’t be and that it is all part of the journey you are taking.

When I watch you on the mat I worry that you are doing battle while unprepared and that I have failed in your preparation. As a father that is my greatest fear, that you are unprepared to face the challenges that will come before you. I want you to be prepared for your match, but I’ve come to realize that it is the matches themselves that, are in the long run, win or lose, the things that ARE preparing you.

I think that the greatest benefit from wrestling is learning to face challenges and to demand the most from yourself. You learn to fight when you think there is no more fight left within you. You learn to get up after you’ve fallen, time and time again. You learn about sacrifice and about pain. You learn to endure and to overcome. This is what I want for you, not because I wrestled, but because these lessons are the true gifts of this sport. So, those losses today were actually part of this gift, and an important part of the journey.

My dream for you is to not just win championships and fill your room with medals. My dream for you is much greater and I hope you get much more from wrestling. I hope you learn to strive for greatness even if you fail in the attempt. I hope you learn to get up one more time when you think you can’t get up any longer. I hope you learn to not only face your fears, but to stare them down.

Wrestling isn’t about winning. It is about the desire to win. It isn’t about success, but rather the determination to succeed. I want you to succeed as a wrestler, not to win state championships, but I want you to be a successful wrestler so you learn to be all that you can. This sport can help teach you that, if you let it. I look forward to the seasons of our future as you go through these lessons and I’ll be in your corner for each and every one of them.

I love you, Dad

19. AZIFFEL

AZIFFEL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Another holiday high school tournament, bring in the new year by pinning your long time arch nemesis. We'll that's what she says she's going to do...
    gazoo and shrineclown like this.
  20. RhinoVonHawkrider

Oddometer:
    rufus likes this.