WRing a little.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WRing FL, Jun 6, 2019.

1. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 3 weeks off work and about 4200 miles of tracks loaded on the GPS. SEAT, MABDR, SM500 and another loop to cover the Tail of the Dragon. I'm not a creative writer... I make Grammer and spelling mistakes... I brought a chair but lost it today...

Almost 2 years ago a friend told me about the TAT. I assembled an 1983 Honda XL600R that came to me in a big trash can. The frame was ready for paint. So I painted the Honda orange ... Rode it about 300 miles or 2 Kickstarter wacks to the leg... Traded it off..

In all my research the the WR250R was singing to me. I was half tempted to drive the 6-8 hours to go buy a tastefully modded used one I was scheduled for more overtime the next day. Partway through that day one became available .5 miles from my house. It had all the normal mods one would buy. $5200 was steep for a 2015 with 8800 miles but it is mine. I've put 3500 miles on it over the last year and was ready to bite off a piece of the TAT. My coworker didn't want to go this go around. So I decided to throw something together. Too many days at the computer has made me take a big bite for my first Moto camping ride and I'm Solo. I'm down to 30# of gear but brought a hammock setup and a tent. I may mail one home later.

Oh yeah, I'm scatter brained and I do not proof read. Good luck! I work 7 on 7 off so it wasn't hard to come up with 3 weeks to roam wild. I dirt napped twice today. (Slow down on wooden bridges that have sand and water on them.) I've been on this bridge before on Imy shakedown run. It is about 100 or so miles from my house. It wasn't an issue then because I stopped at it.

I have seen 3 deer, 4 squirrel, piles of cow and horse and I'ma pile left by a horse. I'm now stealth camping in BFE FL 6 hours after leaving home.
  2. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When it is 77 and raining there is nothing to do but walk around in your underwear. My chair bounced off somewhere. My knife is MIA after the bridge Wipeout. The ants really like the log I chose to sit on.

The bike... WR250R. Full line of FMF junk, alum skid, rad guard, MT21 front, D606 rear, rox 3.5" pivot risers, Evo bend bar, larger base kickstand, dual headlights with added LED bar, raised instrument cluster, had a piece of 12x12"x 1/2" cutting board as a rear luggage rack. Zip tied to it is a piece of that white wire rack found in most closets. (The zip ties performed as intended,they failed when I flew off and didn't damage bike, rack or my gear. Yes, I brought spares.)

For the trip I installed a new front and rear tire, brake pads, chain and sprockets. I went with a 14/48 combo (close to stock) in case I weenie out and want to slab home. The bike pulls the gears surprisingly well in the sand. At one point it had 13/50 then 14/50. With 14/50 and trying not to be the slow guy in the group was getting about 35.5 mpg. Now I'm getting 54ish driving responsiblyish.

Oh, pretty boring out here now. I identified some plants around me that are edible but they need cooked first. The pokeweed needs boiled and drained multiple times. There wasn't enough time to fire a clay pot nor any rocks around. Losing my larger knife has set me back as far as camp crafts. I opted to leave my stove, canteen, coffee and pot to save weight.

I am challenging myself to eat and drink on $20 a day. It should be plenty easy. I had a gas station burrito for lunch and gas station pizza for dinner. I missed the $20 mark today. I bought some alieve. That Wipeout earlier has a pretty big/sorry know on my collar bone. I'm ignoring it.

Chosing my campsite. I failed to consider the 4 W's.. Wind= None, Wain= Constant, Winged things that want to eat you = all you can bare, Whiskey, none.

I'm also that guy that rode a dirt bike when he was 12 then decided to buy a bike and go adventure riding Now that he is a 32 years old, 300#, desk jockey accustomed to 69* thermostat settings and a vintage Mercedes.

Today I pickup up the SEAT in section 9 at St George, GA. Due to leaving at lunch time and taking a 6pm good enough stealth camping spot I was able to make 200ish miles. I'm currently in section 8, straight south of Montecello FL, FL.

I miss my chair. I got to show everyone how cool it was. I sat in it 2x. It weighed 2#. It is very weird walking around in the woods in your underwear to stay cool. I'd rather have been sitting. (The mosquitoes are about to tote this tent off)

I don't pick a spot near see fire wood. I left my only pair of pants to wash in the rain. They were soaked anyway and will dry fast

Attached Files:

3. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just remembered... For what seemed like miles I was fighting deep sand that someone had been fish tailing down. It was soft and the ruts kept throwing me all over the place. Dirt nap # 2 was at slow speed in a corner that I just couldn't steer out of. It wasn't spectacular. Pretty much just fell onto a high berm on the outside of a turn. Later, I came up on a slow moving crown Vic. Ex police car so I came up on it slow. The right rear wheel was wobbling horribly, right rear quarter panel was crushed in and the RR window broke. It was smooth sailing once he turned a different direction.
  4. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :asshat
  5. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi fellow inmate/ guy from local group... You could have been here also. I'd have company and probably be clothed. You're jealous ;)
  6. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could kick myself for not going back for a picture. There was a yard that literally had 100 riding mowers all covered in plastic. They were not new and the yard wasn't nice. The condensation in the plastic made then look like tomb stones. I could appreciate this man's collection.
  7. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love my WR. Enjoying your report.

Ride safe,

TaZ9
  8. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost 5:30am, rained just about all night. Sleeping bag stowed so it will stay dry. Just laying here being dripped on. My sleeping pad is pretty good, but my left hip and right shoulder make it tough to get comfortable. I'll give the hammock a go tonight.
    Ginger Beard and jakengle like this.
  9. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i can't take 7 days off like you.. back in my contracting days i could but i was in the whole jeep thing
    i'd be interested in seeing the lawn mower grave yard..
    Next time just stop for pics!
  10. flashbang

flashbang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like your writing style. Sounds like some of my rides.
    levain likes this.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. advantagecp

advantagecp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sleeping in a tent, even with an inflatable pad, is pure misery for me. A good hammock with a tarp is a game changer.
    levain and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  13. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the last time i tent camped my tent leaked and my sleeping bag was a giant sponge.. by 5 am my feet were pruney and my bed weighed 30lbs
  14. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 15 after my last post my tracking pole tent collapsed on me in a thunderstorm. I got to hold the pole and situp wrapped in a wet tarp till daylight...

Phone didn't like the water. I'm alive up near Summerville, GA. My phone won't take a charge from my backup battery and my charge port on the bike died in the same water crossings.

Slept in a shipping container last night in a cow pasture. Pounded down 380 miles looking for a place to camp for 80. It was a bad part of town or all fence.

Now I'm hanging in some trees on the side of the trail. I'll catch up with this when I can get a good charge on the phone. Later all.
    Amphib, Yinzer Moto and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being new at camping off the bike, you will learn a lot on this trip. Have fun.
    WRing FL likes this.
  16. 75bronco

75bronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If u make it to speedwell tn, i have a porch with coupla extra beers and two solid trees to hang from
    WRing FL likes this.
  17. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    your a madman. I like your style. Go hard
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  18. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Typing this in an email because I don't have service. I'll post it later. I don't quite remember what I said last.

Day 2ish. Shortly after my initial post complaining about being rained on, it let loose again. The tent I was staying in is a little back packing tent that uses a single pole. The tent has to be staked out to free stand. I left the normal wire stakes tents come with at home and brought some nifty aluminum SAND stakes. Well, that was dumb. The ground was hard. I had beat the stakes in the ground pretty good with my boot or they bent trying either way , I thought I'd be good... Well, the thunder storm started. It lasted a while. A very long while. Me sitting in the tent holding the pole up all while being hugged by a wet rain fly. When the sun came up good enough to see I jammed everything in my bag. It was still raining. At this point I was a little SW of Tallahassee, FL heading toward Carrabelle, FL. The road i was traveling on was a flooded mudbog. I chose to bypass Carrabelle/Tate's Hell if it were going to be anything like what I was traveling in. I took to the slab. I cought made to order breakfast in a gas station right as the rain let up. T storm busted me shortly after leaving. The backup socks were wet.

I picked up the SEAT again north of Carrabelle. I thought with all this rain I just sat through that those water crossings I saw pictures of would be deep and I'm glad I had passed them. Hit by a T storm again. Hey look! Those water crossings I didn't bypass... At this point I'm somewhere in AL. (I can get lost in the city I grew up in...) Proceeding slowly, my front fender shoveled water over over my handle bars. And this 10 day old phone started the infinite reboot of death.

Did you know, the Garmin Montana 680T at $550 does not come with turn by turn navigation? Why would it? They could try to charge you an extra $60 for that feature. But you don't need it, you have a cell phone....

Carrying on, following the purple line through nowhere I go. RAIN! Sunshine for about 45 minutes. It's miday now and I'm looking for people to be out in their yards. Found one. I stopped by an older fella's house and asked to borrow his phone. Up until the water my family was keeping track of me via my phone's GPS. I ended up talking to the guy for 2 hours. Dried all my clothes in the dryer and all my tent stuff in the yard. He gave me a bag of rice and some bottles of water for the journey. Thanks Zale!

Feeling fresh, I pound down some miles. Wow the AL back roads are extremely well maintained! At the 300 mile mark I start looking for a place to camp. Fences and posted signs everywhere. I pop into town for gas. It's not a good place to be. ( Near the drive thru meuseum) back to the trail. 80 miles later and 10 mins before sundown I found a rancher driving his SXS. He was reluctant to to stop, didn't really want to talk either. When he found out I wasn't from around there he put me up In a shipping container in his cow pasture. No bitting bugs of any sort! Slept till almost 9am!

Attached Files:

19. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3, great riding. Talladega National Forrest is awesome. No phone to take pics with. Definitely a place to revisit. I learned I can dry socks by tying them around the muffler. I made some needed suspension adjustments in Roanoke, AL (setup for fast sand and the trail is now slow and bumpy). While in Roanoke I found a Verizon store. Guy charged up my phone a little as it stormed again. Thinking my bent from bridge crash phone cord was defective I payed $22 for a cord... NOPE.. Set up the hammock on some mountain in GA... 840 miles since I left home.

Day 4, had a hard time keeping socks dry. I think my boots absorb water from puddles (Oneal Ryder). I didn't make many miles today. Only about 170. Now I had a working phone and dead charger on the bike. I hit a truck stop and got some bits to get a charger going. The notes I made on the Garmin base camp program 3 weeks ago are not so clear now. At about 4:30 pm I was at a place where I know I had a crazy mingling of routes planned. I stopped at some gas station/ camp ground/ store/ diner south of Telico Plains. I needed to let my feet dry out. Changed out muffler socks 4 times today. Hot shower! Washed clothes in the sink. Got to check out all my bruises in the mirror (Wet railroad tracks are garbage). First rain at 6:30PM. Plans are to sleep on the covered bridge or pack porch of this place I'm at. Dude said sleep where ever. (Said he had 40 people last week doing the TAT. Only 5 camp sites. Said there were people sleeping under the porch.) No phone service here.

Day 5, just got Telico Plains for breakfast. Going to run the Tail of the Dragon then start the SM500

Attached Files:

Plebeian, Yinzer Moto and Amphib like this.
  20. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    and to think not even 2 weeks ago we were in a drought. wrap your feet inside of grocery bags to keep them dry.
    way better than wet prunie feet.