WRing a little.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WRing FL, Jun 6, 2019.

1. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It isn't in the plans now by I do appreciate the offer. People have been quite generous on this ride.
    75bronco likes this.
  2. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Road the skyline drive? and the Tail of the Dragon a little bit ago. Tore up my pants hopping on and off the bike. Picked up some snazzy padded Moto pants and shirt for $50! Pants were listed at $164 by them selves. The lady wanted to make room for more leather gear and it was the last they had in my size! Now I look fast. Lunch break over SM500 green CCW starting from Telico Plains...
  3. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finished up last night about 67 Miles in. Hammocked up in a food plot. At granola bar for dinner. Wind was chilling this morning. Ate a can of cold spaghetti and hit the trail. Now I'm in Suches eating pizza. About to start the SM500 red.

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard and Amphib like this.
  4. StksSister

StksSister n00b

Oddometer:
    How is your hip and collar bone doing?
  5. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All good now. Just bruises.
  6. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was awesome. The SM500 has many great views and things to see. I finished the day early around 4:30. I was tired. Stopped at the Standing Indian campground for a shower at some rest. There was a great free site at about 4300ft but, it was was already chilly up there. I met a fellow in mate at camp. He fed me dinner and cleaned up the electrical on my bike. We talked bikes, rides and powerplants. He loaned me an under quilt for the hammock. Wow! A sleeping pad in the hammock is not the way to go. Ben rode with me for 40ish miles this morning.

I guess it is day 7 now. 60* water + instant coffee isn't good at all. I stopped by Wolf Creek General Store for gas and food (Red ends yellow begins). I ate the best smoked chicken sandwich and fries ever! IMG_20190612_102415812.jpg IMG_20190612_102415812.jpg IMG_20190612_102415812.jpg IMG_20190612_084827178.jpg IMG_20190612_104217165.jpg IMG_20190612_092941496.jpg IMG_20190612_110603947.jpg
    Plebeian likes this.
  7. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about 1660 miles into my journey so far. Strating the SM500 yellow in a little bit.

Attached Files:

Plebeian and Amphib like this.
  8. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow! what a great ride! you ll have things to talk about at the next meeting! lol
  9. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My last post regarding total milage was inaccurate. I had 1520ish miles. Today (the 12th) ended with about 1675 miles. I finished the SM500.

The last few post have been lacking details of the ride. The SM500 is simply awesome! The route takes you over a little bit of everything. There were a few technical areas but they didn't last very long :( The yellow section is the best, save it for last. I seen mountain views that only those willing to take the forrest roads will be privileged to see. One could easily make a week long vacation out of the yellow section. You'd never leave if you were a fisherman. NC has the best camping, with TN close behind. GA, nowhere on the radar. Weeds 3' high in their designated camping areas.

Today I finally ran into the issue I was trying to avoid a month back with my route planning notes. I have made 3 circles around this are and now need to be much further east to head toward Damascus. I hit a section of trail that I had already been on. So... With 10 miles left of the yellow section I maintained dry feet all day. I came up on a water crossings that I made a few days ago. Well.... My right side and both boots got soaked. The water was a little cool to continue swimming. It was coming up on 6:30 and I was still needing a place to camp. I hit the same gas station for the 3rd time in the last few days. The biscuits we're great at breakfast . My second time was for lunch, pretty sure the biscuit I ate at lunch was a left over from breakfast. Today Picked up some steak biscuits for dinner. The amount of biscuit crumbs on the ground outside of the gas station is crazy. I am sure those were left over from breakfast. I decided to go take the skyway drive again to get me back to the other side of the mountain.
    It was cooling off and I needed a place to camp. I found a nice camp ground nearish to the skyway. Imagine the muddy guy on a bike with pairs of socks blowing in the breeze... I'm standing up so my butt can dry. I'm putting through camp looking for a suitable hammock hang. Nice RVs and Trailers everywhere. This is a classy place. Parents looking at me like I'm a hobo. Kids waving like I'm some sorry of motocross legend. My $50 Troy Lee getup looks kinda cool and matches my bike!

Preparing for a 49* night in a "50*" sleeping bag. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Rained on me at 3am. Only got to about 60* last night. The 49* forecast could have been in a whole different state for all I know. The pic of the elevation sign and big rock is not a duplicate. This is the second time I stopped there to put on my jacket. I hit skyway drive hard this morning and made great time to Cowee where I'll pick up the SEAT again. Gas station biscuits and gravy :)

I'm trying hard but can't seem to wear the hairs of the outer most lugs of that mt21. IMG_20190613_080728971.jpg IMG_20190612_201714691.jpg IMG_20190613_074227423.jpg IMG_20190613_074647265.jpg IMG_20190613_074916337.jpg IMG_20190613_080120967.jpg
  10. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The WR will let you roll it up to about 11k rpm. After that skyway ride, I know know why people want to do GP Moto. During my ride this morning I realized I've passed one of those landmarks 3 times in the last few days.

Attached Files:

Plebeian and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  11. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are some pics on my GPS from the days the phone was dead.

Attached Files:

Plebeian and jeepgeek2002 like this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jumping in on this one as I'm a fellow WR owner and dig the idea of what you're doing :thumb :thumb

Hope the travels keep going well (for the most part) and you're able to keep your phone charged, like your straight forward writing style and wit :lol3 :lol3

Keep the knobby side down @WRing FL, and don't scrub those nubbins off the side knobs too aggressively - usually means the bike is sliding on its side :eek7
    WRing FL likes this.
  13. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made it to SEAT sec2/ sec3 xfer point. About 1880 miles so far. The WR is performing wonderfully. I admit that a few hills were 3rd gear 30mph climbs. I'm happy with my gearing and tire selection. Both tires are showing a little wear. I've been running them both at 25 psi most of the trip. I knew I was going to slab it for a while today and put them at 27psi each. They performed good on the trails. The rear wouldn't hurt to let a little out of for that downhill gravel braking.

If you find yourself heading north and approach a horse farm @ 4800ft, be ready for some down hill action. There is a sign that says something to the effect of "This road is not maintained blah blah Ice blah blah...." That road is no joke. Your seat and the bike's seat will become one as you perform a controlled fall over the next few minutes.

Today's trails were great. Too bad they look the same as the others over the last few days. I'm ready for a change of scenery.

Pretty much the first thing I came to when entertaining town was a restraunt. I had an awesome chunk of homemade meatloaf, mac/cheese, mashed potatoes and corn bread. The cornbread was very different but good. I got a room at the hotel a couple blocks up the road. I'm calling it early today. I'm beat.

Attached Files:

Plebeian and liv2day like this.
  14. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I passed a Google Street view car today at the cords pictured below. I also came across a car that had caught fire. Kid bought it cheap because the cat was plugged and getting red hot. He didn't quite make it home.

I'm not familiar with the area. Debating on rolling the bike into the room.

I did manage to bump my foot on the road again. In a video this time.

Attached Files:

Plebeian likes this.
  15. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. jeepgeek2002

jeepgeek2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Naked and afraid LOL
    love the pics.. makes me miss the mountains we dont see here in FL.
  17. advantagecp

advantagecp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report. After doing a lot of riding in Vietnam on 250cc and 150cc bikes I am hearing the call for a smaller, lighter bike for my US riding.
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you running for headlights on your WR? Those look to be nice and it appears you have a LED bar under the two main lights? Curious how the wind is when you're stuck slabbing asphalt - do you get a face full without any type of screen?

Good updates @WRing FL, that looks like fantastic country to ride (and quite different from what we see in the PNW).

Keep those knobs down man :-) :-)
  19. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The headlights were some $35 junk off Amazon. The low beam actually burnt out on one today. The wind is pretty much the same as it was. The are mounted as high as the old fairing.
  20. WRing FL

WRing FL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This morning I started out in Hot Springs, NC with a huge breakfast. It was a great night to be in a room. Was between 48 and 43 throughout my ride this morning. Believe it or not, it was more miles and miles of road that followed a river or creek between some mountains... As I madei further north the vegitation wasn't as thick. I could see a lot better. I was able to make great time as most of this section was paved.

I jetted over to Bristol to a Yamaha dealer to pick up some Yammy rain gear. I struck out. No 47 tooth steel sprocket either. I did pickup some random rain gear and supplies for an oil change. I looked at tires but passed them up. I slabbed back to Damascus. Before you know it I'm on the trail. That morning I had gotten my rear suspension dialed in (not boingy and didn't break traction on washboard gravel) my fuel tune from a few days ago was performing great also. Well... Either that slab over to Bristol and back wore my rear tire just enough or the gravel is a little looser here. I'll need a tire soon. I rolled into a campground and am sharing a spot with a guy on his own solo bike adventure. I'm going into Wytheville tomorrow to pickup a rear tire. Mine still has 1/3 tread and I'll start airing down if it misbehaves. Right now it is still at 27 psi but has been performing awesome there.

I really want an Africa Twin like pictured below if anyone feels very generous.

The guy with the chairs knows how to camp.

Attached Files: