Write2ride and 3Dchief coast to coast

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 3DChief, Apr 12, 2012.

1. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    Gratz on your retirement... I'm very happy that Cheryl is in much better health than this time last year. I'm honored to call both of you my friends. :wings

Have a great ride... Maybe I'll see you two on the road sometime in late June. I'm planning to ride to Illinois and back to visit my family.
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    cheryl and tim, glad to see you doing this trip.

:clap
  3. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    It is official now, I am retired from the US Coast Guard after 21 years 3 months, and 26 days.:deal K L Rocket was there to share with us and act as a photographer, thanks Sharon! :freaky

[​IMG]

Now is time for the real adventure to begin. We leave CA for Montana on Tuesday, spend a few days there getting admissions stuff done for college, then off to Indiana to start our adventure. :clap

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and advice! This is a pretty significant life change, what better way to start it than with an adventure?

Tim
  4. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. Again, thanks for your service. The Coast Guard is one of the most rigorous and least recognized of the forces. For those who know what you do, it's the most important.
  5. macadamia

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  6. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Cromoth,

I have looked at those trailers and even considered them briefly, but I think they would be more hassle than they would be worth, especially when the riding gets technical. I don't think we have enough weight or bulk in our luggage to justify a trailer.

I am considering building a light sidecar after this trip so we can take the dog along. Something small with a light frame. Basically a box for the dog to ride in plus some space for extra fuel and water and maybe a cooler.

Tim
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I bet a dog would ride pretty well on one of those trailers. It would probably be easier to pull than a sidecar, and simpler to build. I can see your dog riding above the gas & cooler, and his bag of Alpo! :freaky
  8. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Just picked up new Alpinestar WP Scout boots for both of us. We have been getting needed gear for the trip and new boots were on the "nice to have if we have the money at the end" and we did. Write2ride needed mens size 6, they had to be shipped from a store in Wisconsin. I think they are going to turn out to be a very wise purchase. Even though they are not really broke in yet, they are way more comfortable than the boots they replaced. :clap

20 days until we are on the road starting the trip!

Tim
  9. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I'd always wanted a pair of real motorcycle boots and stumbled across a pair of the Alpinestar WP Scout boots in my size, and it was the only pair left. They were only $150 and although I wasn't planning to spend that much I knew I'd better grab them, or regret it.

They didn't require any break-in. I am really happy with them. I feel a lot safer than I did before. They are very waterproof, until water goes over the top! I flooded them in a river crossing......that didn't go so well. :huh I force dried them with an air blower overnight with no heat and they are as good as new.

They aren't the best for walking in, sort'a clunky. They are very well made and look like they will last for many years.
  10. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    If you think the Scouts are clunky to walk in, try MX boots! They are like running shoes compared to my old MX boots.

We have completed the first leg of the journey and are in Missoula, MT now. I have to do some stuff to finish setting up to start school this fall. We will be here about a week, then on to IN to see family, have a retirement celebration, and unload the bikes.

May 28th should be the day we roll out of IN on the bikes and head towards NC and our official starting point!

Tim
  11. rebake

rebake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Know which way you are going from in?Planning on riding to n.h. on june 1 leaving Peoria area and going through northern In.,or maybe through indy to w virginia,then north-may see you on the road.Ed
  12. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    We are leaving the NE corner of IN on the 28th. Crossing OH just north of Columbus, then into WV, coming into VA just north of Charlottesville. Plan on being in Charlottesville by the 1st to meet local friends and camp for the weekend.

You are in for a beautiful ride as well, it sounds like! I would stay north, upstate NY is beautiful.

Tim
  13. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    The second leg and last cage leg of the trip is done! We drove 1825 miles in 31 hours to get the bikes and dog from Montana to Indiana. We will goof around here until the 29th, then the real adventure begins!

We have some maintenence to do while we are here. Cheryl's bike decided to start leaking around one of the valve covers. I have a new gasket for it and we will do the valve checks while we are in there. Oil changes for both and chain maintenence.

Tim
  14. 3DChief

3DChief "Moto therapist"

Oddometer:
    Okay everyone, this is officially a ride report now! :ricky We leave tomorrow morning headed East!!! See the thread in ride reports and join us on our adventure!!!!

:beer
    Tim
  15. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    What's up with the ride? No pretty pics or entertaining stories yet. :ear
  16. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Yeah, where are you guys? I'm in Illinois at my parents. I'm prepping to head back to California tomorrow.. Any chance of meeting up along the way?