WRRoaming Australia (WR250R + short-bus)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by FLICKIT, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Berry01

Berry01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi FLICKIT i am a fellow tasmainian. I have realy enjoyed your trip reports.The end of last year i purchased a brand new 2019 wr250r,also have a dr650.
    I wanted to p.m you. I haven't worked out how yet on here. Any help appreciated
    FLICKIT likes this.
  2. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    he seems to have gone very quiet i sent him a PM weeks ago ;)

what part of the state are you in?
    FLICKIT likes this.
  3. Berry01

Berry01 n00b

Oddometer:

North west
    Iam in the north west theMissionary how do i pm
    FLICKIT likes this.
  4. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Left click on the name of the person where they've posted. You'll then get the option to 'Start a Conversation'. Follow the prompts and its happening.
    FLICKIT likes this.
  5. Berry01

Berry01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks BergDonk and theMISSIONARY for the help.
    FLICKIT likes this.
  6. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry... I haven't logged in here for 6 months or more... (I'll reply to your PM/email a bit later "Mr WRR-of-Awesomeness") :lol3..

I've only had the WRR out a couple of times since I returned in October last year, the only offroad ride I've done was in November, I was testing a new Gopro-8 and I had a silly but decent "off" on the Jeffrey's Track, no real damage done but it shook me a bit at the time, first time my head has ever wacked the ground hard!... (also, my only real "off" since I had the stack in the middle of the Nullarbor in 2018)

I had big plans of heading to W.A. this year and I booked the ferry to leave on the 23rd of May, returning mid October, I was all prepped to do a big loop through The Canning Stock Route, Tanami, Great Central and such, some stuff around the Pilbura, and a loop of the Connie Sue and such, then head back east to do a few odd things... (the bike had general 65,000km maintenance, grease all the suspension bearings, reconditioned the shocky, checked valves, new camchain tensioner.. also bought a new clutch but didn't get around to installing it)

In January I was concerned the Canning wasn't going to happen due to the cyclones and the huge amounts of rain they had up there, record amounts, so I started planning to do the Magidan Line and Hays River Track as a backup plan, then all this Covid crap started kicking off in China and it was fairly clear I'd probably be stranded in Tassie for the year :( ..

The next plan was to order and install a 2KW diesel heater in the van and buy a cheap porta-potty so I could spend the winter finishing off some stuff in Tassie and be comfy (no way I can spend winter at home again after having so many winters away, I HAVE to do something away from home)...

I also did some maintenance on the van, installed a new clutch master and slave cylinder, flushed the 20yo brake fluid and checked the brakes over, new fuel filter, blah blah, general pre-emtive maintenance...

I really don't have "too" much enthusiasm for riding and exploring new stuff here through the winter months on a bike, my enthusiasm for riding in general is lacking at the moment... (there's a good chance I'll end up doing a couple of "small missions" on a bike this year, there's a couple of semi-dodgy non-kosha places I'm keen to explore and poke around bit further, I'm semi-tempted to use a smaller bike)

My current general short-term plan (when we're allowed to camp/travel again, June 15th?), is to do some hiking on foot to get a bit further into areas I haven't been able to do on the bike in the past, make the most of the lack of tourists hiking in the national parks at the moment, maybe do The Overland Track later in the year so I can put a line through that part of my map, colour-in a bit more, it's lacking up there, lol ... maybe take a small bike (XL185) into Oakleigh Mine and hike up to Pelion Hut in Cradle Mountain NP from there, and/or head into Pine Hut, and/or the Arm River Track, and hike in from there... (I'm more worried about the risks of our winter out there than I am of the deserts on the mainland, so I need to take little steps first and get my gear sorted for potential extreme cold)

So yeh, in general I'm a bit undecided how I'll spend the winter but I have a few ideas..

Congrats on your WRR purchase Berry, other than being a bit tall it's a great bike for Tassie IMO :clap, if there's anything I can help you with just yell :)
    Crofty, Suncoaster, BergDonk and 4 others like this.
  7. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    WRRoam-so-far:
    WrroamSoFar2020.jpg

(does anyone want me to upload my GPS files for 2019?, I don't think I got around to doing that?))
    Crofty, Berry01 and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  8. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    lol Flickit i have some KTM folding mirrors coming from ebay. as for the bushwalking get your gear sorted and don't worry about the snow! my mates and i would head up the Arm river track in the middle of winter as there are less terrorists,Black bluff was always a favorite.

i am still dragging my fat ass about on the MTBs but the bike is going to get some tlc and a Gopro 8 is coming my way soon ;)
    Berry01 and FLICKIT like this.
  9. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Yes please :beer
    FLICKIT and Berry01 like this.
  10. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ebay cheapies are nothing great but the price is right, they're cheap enough that it's no drama if they get damaged, there's a short and long version, the short ones are better on the WRR... I've broken a couple but in general they've exceeded my expectations, they can take a good beating...

Suitable gear is a bit of an issue, most my old gear is shagged out, I'll make do where I can and upgrade as I can justify it... I bought a low end North Face jacket to get me started and I'll use garbage bags as rain skirts at first, if I was heading up into the snow or Overland Track I'd really need to invest in some Gore-Tex gear... For multi-day hikes my bike camping gear is all on the heavy, bulky, and well used/worn side but I'll probably end up using it because I'm too cheap to buy new stuff, it would be very easy to go blow a couple of grand on new gear but I cant justify it, so I'll end up hiking with around a 20kg pack and pick the weather to suit my old gear... (Tent weighs 2.7kg, Exped Downmat over 1kg, and such)... My One-Planet sleeping bag is a +3c comfort, -3c survival which has been wet a couple of times, it's no good for Tassie highlands, I'll have to send it off to be washed and restuffed.... I don't sleep well in tents as it is and I've had a few freezing nights in Tassie in the past, I don't want to do that again, it just not pleasant...

Winter I'll probably stick to day hikes and sleep in the van, work on getting my fitness up, maybe do a couple of lowland/coastal overnight hikes as prep, the $500 Three Capes track can be done for free if you get creative and use old tracks to get into it, that will be a good one to do while there's no tourists in the state, most of it is boarded and paved now so it seems very soft-core... The end goal is to get sorted enough to be able to do the Overland Track in spring, it's a bit daunting but I figure if I can push through the big desert rides on the bike I shouldn't have too many issues pushing myself through 6 days of hiking, I usually ride with a 6 to 8kg backpack anyway, so a hiking pack isn't too much more, lol ....

Black Bluff is on my list, I'm also keen to walk into Devonport mine near there since I couldn't get the XL185 up there a few years back, and Dove River mine... There's also a nice 2-3 day hike up into the Walls of Jerusalem NP I'd love to do, I've poked all around the edges of there on the bike, it's stunning country...

Cabin fever is setting in, I NEED to get away ASAP, lol... "If" the parks and camping open up on June 15th as planned I'll probably head straight down Cockle Creek and do the South East Cape day walk, the Hartz peak walk and a couple of waterfalls down that way, then over to the Bruny walks, then duck down the Peninsula, then up to Freycinet, work my way around the state, by time I get up Cradle Mountain way I "should" have the fitness sorted and know if my gear is going to be suitable to do the harder/riskier stuff up there... Same as with the riding I'll ease into it, I never want to be in the position where I have to "press the button" and wait for the chopper, lol ...

Getting a MTB had crossed my mind also but I very much doubt my dodgy knees would last long doing that, and it's a whole new expensive rabbit-hole to dive into, lol...

You should like the Gopro-8 it's a nice step up from the old Hero2 I've been using for years, the stabilization on the 8 is impressive, a bit too impressive really, with the "boost" on it almost makes the video look a bit fake and head movements look a bit robotic... At the end of the day I haven't used the 8 enough yet to appreciate it's features...
    Berry01 and theMISSIONARY like this.
  11. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Berry01 likes this.
  12. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you show up again FLICKIT. Have very much enjoyed this whole thread!
    FLICKIT likes this.
  13. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Berry01 likes this.
  14. ehbt

ehbt Meh

Oddometer:
    Brothers and I rode in to Oakleigh Mine and Dove River mine in 2017 on XR600s.
    The bridges across the creeks going in to Oakleigh had been washed out or burnt by the previous years floods and bushfire. The quad boys had made tracks though so there were only a couple of crossings where we had to give each other a boost through the rocks. Rest of the track was still in good shape.
    Dove River mine has a reasonable track to it if you know where the start is. I've got kml log files of both rides if you're interested.
    Cheers
    Ehbt
  15. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers, I'd like to see your Dove River mine log file just in case you went a different way to the track I used (I may even have the wrong location, lol)... I headed in there in 2013 on the XL185 but about 500m up from the river there was a decent landslide and the track was blocked by trees so I turned back, it also looked fairly extreme past that point, crazy steep, even if it wasn't for the landslide I'm not sure I would have ventured down there solo on the bike... I found a KML a while back for a hiking track that takes a different route down to the river so I need to get back in there at some stage, either on foot or bike, it's one of those places I've always been unhappy about not completing... Oh, it's the Devon Mine down on Dove River I'm thinking of, there was a flying fox across the river back in the day, or are they the same thing? Dove and Devon? ...

I did the Oakley mine track (Patons Rd) on that same trip in 2013, the track wasn't too bad back then, a few trees to go over and under, river running down the track a lot of the way and such, it sounds worse these days now more bridges have gone... There was a bit of track past the mine entrances up top and down the bottom I'd like to go back and do, even if it's just on foot, plus I'd like to head up the Forth Valley walking track towards Pelion Hut, I think it's only about 10km past the mine... Eventually it would be nice to join all those tracks up to the Overland Track on my map... There's something special about that area so I'd like to do as much as I can before old age kicks in, lol...

The NW and West Coast trips I did with the XL185 are probably still my favorite adventures on a bike so I should really go back to that style of riding for a while at some stage... The problem is I only had the XL registered for a year and I'm reluctant to blow the money on registering it again, (in a couple of years I'll be able to get it on SI reg which is affordable)... I could go unregistered since I'd be carting it around in the campervan but I do like to be law-abiding, lol ... (plus the MAIB is nice to have)
    Berry01 and ehbt like this.
  16. ehbt

ehbt Meh

Oddometer:
    Doh, you are correct; it was the Devon mine, and yes it had a flying fox. The cable was still there in 2017, the quad boys obviously use the track we followed as well.
    http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&x=146...554&j=554&p=308057&pp=308057&fc=1&mpsec=0#map

From what I can work out Oakleigh was near or may have been the Pelion mine.
    There is a track to the mid and top entrances but it was overgrown and unpassable with bikes after the mid entrance.
    http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&i=554&j=554&x=146.03028&y=-41.7765&w=20000&c=1&p=256063&mpsec=0#map

Ride log for Oakleigh/Pelion, the odd running around at the start was us following the pipeline feeding the Lemonthyme power station to where the water tunnel exits the hill
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JlEJFNoTPaocZx1XaFb7kWOE5MQ

Devon mine, if you look at the track log bottom rightish you'll see it goes down to the Dove River. The track starts beside a dirt road, it doesn't look like much - we just lucked into finding it and following down to the river. It was the old horse cart track to the mine from what I can tell.
    Couple of photos from the ride are attached too.
    The tricky bit was the drop into the river bed - All three of us had to help get the pigs back up!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dMjZJmFSOk2LqN3dCJt-js7Dl8c1yc5l

Let me know if the links don't work!

Cheers
    Ehbt

Attached Files:

Crofty and FLICKIT like this.
  17. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh, it seems to go by both names:
    Oakleigh Creek mine & Mt Pelion wolfram mine
    https://www.mindat.org/loc-146055.html

I only made it about 300 meters further up the hill from where you got to, the track continued on but it was steep and very slick, it appeared newer than the track down lower, it looked like a bulldozer had pushed up the hill and through there in recent times, I felt I had pushed my luck enough for the day so I turned back, lol.. Here's a crappy vid going around the adits and up the hill:

Did you come across a hut down there?, someone mentioned there was one down there but I didn't come across it, I didn't poke around too much though...

Excellent thanks, your route down to the mine and river is different to the mapped track which goes straight down the hill, due to the steepness of the mapped track I wasn't too worried about turning back at the time:

Red is yours, the blue is mine, the landslide that stopped me was where the blue arrow is,
    Dove River Devon.jpg
    The landslide that stopped me:
    P1060578cc.jpg
    by the logs at the side I figured it was a common spot for damage:
    P1060576cc.jpg
    Up the hill a bit from there I was worried I wouldn't get back up over these but it turned out to be no issue:
    P1060565cc.jpg
    Good job getting the big bikes in and out of there, that's the type of track I like, with it being a bit sketchy, overgrown, and going into the unknown, I got a good buzz from it.... Now I know I don't have to go straight down that mofo steep hill that's shown on the map I'll definitely have to take a bike back there !

Starting at 2:37 in this vid there's a couple of mins of footage going back up that track in 2013:

My route that day:
    https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1890425
    The whole 2013-NWXL trip:
    https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1910232

There's a slideshow from that trip and a few other odd videos in this playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfUDxPT9DsRpHZ-MotsJLtdveMYhoQ0it
    Berry01, BergDonk and ehbt like this.
  18. ehbt

ehbt Meh

Oddometer:
    Nice to watch the videos, I've got a few pics of the same things!
    Looks like you were on the right track, shame it was blocked. We were lucky, someone had been through and done some clearing. I'm intrigued by your map that shows a flying fox further down the river from the mine, unless it hasn't been marked on the map correctly.
    We did find the hut at Pelion, I can't remember where it was relative to the bottom portal though.

One XR brother used to work as part of the resupply team for the fancy overland track tours. They used to drive down Patons Road to the mine and then carried the food etc. up to the huts.
    The other XR brother was dozing firebreaks in during the bushfires in 2016, he dozed a causeway across the river south of the Lemonthyme power station at the time so they could get fire trucks etc across the river.

When we rode in to Devon mine, we were actually trying to find a way to the other side of the closed bridge just south of Lemonthyme power station, there is an old saw mill with some steam engines that my brother came across while dozing the fire breaks in.

Nice work on your rides, I've looked at some of your other tracks around Tassie, got to get out on the pig more...

Cheers
    Ehbt

Attached Files:

19. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at Google Earth you can make out a track going down the hill where that mapped track is, since everyone goes the way you went I assume the old mapped track is overgrown now....

Interesting, that would be hard work, it's only about 10km but it's as steep as hell up in there, lol ... I guess it's all done by helicopters these days... I was surprised to find they have LPG heaters in the huts on the Overland Track and the gas cylinders are flown in..
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/5912176-3x2-940x627.jpg
    They also fly the toilet waste pods out when they're full:
    https://tinyurl.com/sputnikk
    I always knew the Overland Track was popular but I didn't realize until recently what a big business it is, there's a lot of money involved....

I was attempting to do the same, I wanted to get into the old forestry roads in that area to mark them off my map, Pallawah Rd to Dove River Rd... In 2013 on the south side of the gated bridge there was a couple of spots where bikes and ATV's had been going across the river, I assume in summer when the river level is low they could get across, it was way too hardcore for me and there was too much water flowing to consider it an option...

Around on the Daisy Dell side down Dove River Rd I made it down to where the old bridge went over Dove River, there was a spot just back from the bridge where people had been going down the bank and across the river, it was VERY extreme, high, steep, slick, I think even in dry weather there's a good chance the ATV's would have to winch themselves back up there... (not sure if it was done by amateurs or for mining exploration, it was a bit destructive, certainly not "leave no trace")

I came to the conclusion the only way I'd be able to explore that area is on foot across the bridge at the eastern side but it's about 20 km through to Dove river from there so I wont be walking all of that... I could probably poke the XR100 under the gate but it probably wouldn't be worth it, there's a good chance the track would be blocked further in by trees or bridges out... (There's also a block of private freehold land in the middle of that area which would need to be dodged)...

Thanks for the photos and such, all very interesting...
    ehbt likes this.
  20. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    the Only time i tried to get there was via the 4x4 track from south Nietta..... it got worse as you got over the ridge, the hut next to the track has fallen down since then and i did find one of the old pumps? on the far side of the ridge.
    to be honest i wouldnt want to take my WRr over there as i would probably need new casings by the time i got out.....but i am unfit and uncoordinated

http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/mrtdoc/dominfo/download/ASR1995_03/ASR1995_03.pdf
    ehbt and FLICKIT like this.