WRRoaming Australia (WR250R + short-bus)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by FLICKIT, Jul 7, 2017.

1. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm the same (if not worse), lol ... I certainly wouldn't take the WRR into Devonport mine, I love the WRR but not for super steep and/or rock hopping, it's just too tall, too easy to topple over for a noob like me...

I tried it on the XL185 in 2013 but I only got half way up the hill and whimped out, one of those times I felt I was asking for trouble if I kept going... Crazy steep and the XL kept cutting out on the steep stuff due to the float bowl being half full of water from down Pine Hut way a couple of days earlier... Even if it wasn't cutting out it was getting a bit extreme to tractor the little bike up there with her 70's suspension...

I was thinking about hiking up there this year, unfinished business and such... Every time i scan over my map I notice it "incomplete" and I get the urge to go finish it one way or another...

There's a bunch of stuff in the NW I need to complete but most of it is more suited to the XL or hiking.. (and I'm still thinking about options for marking the Pipeline Track to Savage River off my map, lol)

What are your WRR plans when you finish her birthday cleanup?
    ehbt and theMISSIONARY like this.
  2. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:
    Don't go saying the C word :lol3 it's rude and suggestive

a bit of filming, some tracks on the west coast are calling me....like wombat flats, cold stream ,Climies again......then North east....maybe a bit down south(still haven't been to bruny :hmmmmm

some local yokels need showing some old mines i know how to get too
    FLICKIT likes this.
  3. ehbt

ehbt Meh

Oddometer:
    Is C the Climies word?
    Stupidly did it on a dl1000 with road tyres a few years ago, took about 5 hrs, thankfully with XR brother 1 who was riding a GS with higher clearance and better tires and sense at the time.
    B#$y cold when we finally got to the pub (only thing open) at Queenstown by about 9pm.
    Have to look at a few more mine rides, some good stuff on the nw, mainly played up north.
    Nice pdf, thanks tM!

edit: DL drops,1 GS drops 5!

Attached Files:

theMISSIONARY and FLICKIT like this.
  4. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I hope you upload a lot to Youtube ! ... Wombat Flats and Coldstream are still on my to-do list, I only poked my nose down Wombat Flats a couple of K's towards Mt Ramsay on the loaded Tenere and decided that was a bad idea, there's an old mine and machinery down there somewhere isn't there? ... and Coldstream I only did half of it from the southern end on the WRR then turned back, I think I was through the worst of it but it was getting late in the day and I got to a mud/waterhole that was a bit on the deep side, + I was worrying about getting the bike back up the slick (4x4 trenched) track out of Coldstream Creek when I returned, I was thinking I was going to end up spending the night in there, lol ... I did that in February 2015 and even though it was summer it was a bit of a wet muddy quagmire, I'm not too much of a fan of tracks that have been destroyed by 4x4's and ATV's like that one... When I get back to it I'll probably do it on the XL from the Waratah end, and I'm not sure I'd tackle it in winter... (I'm too soft and achy for hardcore wet stuff in the cold these days, it knocks me around too much)

Up that way also, I was always keen to connect through from Huskisson Drive-Hatfield River down to Boco but there's that evil rock-slope up out of Hatfield River that I'd never be able to get a bike up due to the lack of a run up across the river rocks, and the track at the southern end off Boco Rd over John Lynch Creek doesn't exist these days, there only seems to be a hiking track left down that end, I might have to take the bus into Boco and hike it... There's also the tracks between Waratah and Magnet I wanted to complete eventually, from the Magnet end I was blocked by the rivers..
    theMISSIONARY likes this.
  5. FLICKIT

FLICKIT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think "C" was for "cleanup", I think he likes his "ride" dirty!... Climies on a big bike sounds like an effort !, I assume that was before the old Granite Creek bridge collapsed?, or after the new one was built? , great track on a smaller bike! (I should go back and redo that also)
  6. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    no he said......Cleanup .....it'll rain this week thats about as close as it gets :D
    FLICKIT likes this.
  7. theMISSIONARY

Oddometer:
    yeah i did cold stream + the Bradon hut(crossing the hatfield) years ago with a bunch of posties some quads and 4x4s,El Toad Man(Rob) rode his DR350 and i had a 78 DT175 with near bald tyre.......i could park the DT in some of the ruts on cold stream and leave it in gear running and it wouldn't stall :D most of the postie bikes got destroyed on that trip. i have some footage here but its not a real good camera.
    ehbt and FLICKIT like this.
  8. ehbt

ehbt Meh

Oddometer:
    Whoops, missed the cleanup part. The XR gets a lick and a promise usually.
    Biggest issue doing Climies was ground clearance and the road tyres on the DL. It was 2018, they had rebuilt the bridge by then.
    I'd be interested to see some of your stuff too tM!
    Cheers
    Brynne